Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > FFMPEGX and video conversion problems PSP

FFMPEGX and video conversion problems PSP
kentuckyfried
Senior User
May 12, 2005, 03:00 PM

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but here goes nothing...

I am having some major problems with FFMpegX, which I'm trying to use to convert AVI and MPG files to a form that's compatible with the Sony PSP.

Last night, I used Mac the Ripper to convert a DVD into a single VOB...then converted the VOB per the instructions on the top level of this site. Worked GREAT. Well, almost...I guess one additional step is that I have to pick the correct audio track. For some bizarre reason, even though it's not listed under Apple's DVD player when the movie was played, Track 0 corresponded to a French language track, so I'm re-converting it again using Track 1.

Although I was successful at converting a DVD file, I am having alot of problems with MPG and AVI files (small music videos). What will happen is that I'll convert these files, drag them over to the movie folder on my PSP, but when I try to get the PSP to playback these files, they'll have a question mark on them and be "unplayable - wrong format." These files should be fine b/c I've used the same ones at work and converted them using PSP Video 9 and playback on the PSP was fine. As much as I dislike my work PC, that software's pretty rock solid in terms of consistent conversions.

Is it possible that my installation of FFMPEGX is bad? Anybody else having issues? When I startup the software, a warning window still shows up and says, "any of the items in red need to be installed (including mplayer, Menc2c or whatever it's called, etc). None of these items are red anymore, but that window still pops up.

Please advise.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Forum Links
Forum Rules