Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 (Page 5)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 11:06 AM

Dunno whats going on, probably missing something. Have you tried Ze Veteran?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 11:08 AM

Yes.

Try searching for me, if you can ever log on.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 11:09 AM

Will do. I'll be on later tonight, probably with no mike. I'll message you if I'm not in a group with clan members.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 11:09 AM

Heh, your clan is on this too?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 11:14 AM

Yeah a few have gotten it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 11:15 AM

Get used to it, it's likely the future.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 11:23 AM

I just need to 'get into it', if you know what I mean. I went in with a CoD player's frame of mind and it isn't that. I'll give this more of a chance than Arkham City though.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 11:24 AM

You've got til next Fall, I figure.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 11:33 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention, I've been kinda down on myself because the game is very difficult to play since my rank reset from the Beta. All the maps play really different from Metro, which is hard enough without adding in all the missing attachments for my weapons (really, really missing the bipods for my sniper rifles). I've barely used the LMG class, even though by the end Beta it was my go to class; The rest of the maps just don't support it.

Then I realized (foolishly) that I should revisit Metro. Map came up on rotation and BOOM I'm pwning quite similarly to Beta, even without my attachments. Once we got into the tunnels I switched to a Medic class and supported a great push to arm the MCOMs just healing and reviving. Went 20-7, ended up snagging MVP 3 and had the most fulfilling game of the night. Vehicles are cool, but it's much easier to get frustrated on those big maps.

I may start looking to play Metro from time to time just to work on unlocking shit.

(I also flew a Jet last night I still need to tweak the joystick set-up, but it was easier than a heli. Disabled two or three planes, but didn't kill the occupants. Suicided twice)

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 11:34 AM

I really need to team up with someone who knows what they're doing and just let them shout instructions at me.

Going home now, hopefully see you on tonight/early tomorrow morning.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 02:06 PM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 03:28 PM

The coders who developed the spawning algorithm should have all fingers and toes removed. Scandalous. But TBH I'm quite enjoying TDM.

Why is my battlefeed not working?

Experienced lag, but not like on CoD. It skips, like a frame or two of a film.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 03:31 PM

Which spawning system? The squad system has some serious flaws, and well, the TDM system has serious flaws.

If I were a cynic, I'd think they like giant maps because it helps cover up the atrocious spawning.

(This reminds me of an anecdote from last night. I disabled a tank, but gunner ejected and ran for cover. I kill the buddy who was with him and trace the edge of a bridge down to a stream to find him hiding under it. With two other team mates. I managed to take him with me, but was killed near instantly and watched the fourth spawn-poop into the air as I fell over)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 03:35 PM

Oh, and I still swear I get headshotted the majority of my deaths. My head's hitbox must reach down to my anus.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 03:41 PM

Headshots are bollocks. I was lying down shooting at a guys legs and torso and he went down. Got the 10 points for a headshot.

In the server browser it has 23/24 for every server, what the fook? DO they have the Black Ops stats coders working at EA now?

Wonder what game I'd do best in, cos I'm equally shite in TDM as I am in CQ and Rush. Need to get those points for some decent equipment.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 03:43 PM

I'd say it's glitched but I'd have read someone else bitch about it by now.

Edit: It's not the equipment you need, it's the attachments. Which is what makes starting each person with two guns to level simultaneously per class, instead of one, such a giant middle finger.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 04:26 PM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 04:59 PM

The spawning is rage quit inducing.

After a cigarette and some more vodka, I may be back on.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2011, 07:44 PM

Well, I see conquest is good for using the Support class. Went from having practically no time on it to it having the most xp on it while playing with mattyb. I was rubberbanding a bit (more as time went on), but that didn't stop me from grabbing an MVP2 and us from rolling three straight Ace Squad Ribbons. Our Squad Leader could have been less of a camper with the tank, though.

mattyb, what we did on Metro should have been considered a war crime. Absolute domination there.

Edit: Looking at the games, you tag is not linked to a profile. I wonder if you're having changed your tag has screwed with your EA log in.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well, I see conquest is good for using the Support class. Went from having practically no time on it to it having the most xp on it while playing with mattyb. I was rubberbanding a bit (more as time went on), but that didn't stop me from grabbing an MVP2 and us from rolling three straight Ace Squad Ribbons. Our Squad Leader could have been less of a camper with the tank, though.
Yeah I enjoyed that. Not as many kills but ranked up quicker. I mustn't forget to use the bloody repair thingy when I'm an engineer!!! Lag was an issue, but unlike CoD, I never thought that I died because of it - if you know what I mean.

I got into/onto the tank as the gunner and the squad leader went into a dead end. He finally reversed out and went the wrong way from the battle. So then he went back towards the action but then turned down the same fookin dead end!! I hopped off and ran the rest of the way.

Dunno if you noticed, but on one map I grabbed a ride when you piloted the chopper, you got pretty close to the ground so I decided to hop off before the dreaded suicide came up.

mattyb, what we did on Metro should have been considered a war crime. Absolute domination there.
That was sweet, helped having played the beta and knowing the map a bit.

Even without talking, if your team is coordinated and not gung-ho, I have a feeling that you could pwn in BF3. Imagine fully miked up.

Edit: Looking at the games, you tag is not linked to a profile. I wonder if you're having changed your tag has screwed with your EA log in.
OK, so in game I put in the password that came in the box. Then in Firefox I used Ze_Veteran with my veteran gmail account. Is this the prob that you mean? Reckon that I should try and sign up again? They'll probably say the email account has already been used. Sorry but I don't want to put my personal email account on a site like EA.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2011, 12:21 PM

Can't figure out how to link the EA / Origins profile to my XBL account, doesn't seem to give me a choice anywhere.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2011, 12:26 PM

Whatever email you signed up with for email online is the one you have to use. You're already registered with EA.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2011, 01:56 PM

You mean the email that went with my XBL account?

Servers down apparently, can't even connect to EA online ATM. Earlier was OK.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2011, 05:34 PM

Doesn't seem to be anyone else except Dakar and I playing this. I need other people's opinions (not that I don't value Dakar's of course) about weapons and equipment/attachments.

Played as a chopper gunner and destroyed or helped to destroy all their vehicles in a Conquest game. Pretty fun. Finally made my engineer count for something. Been repairing left right and centre. One driver was clever and let me get out and repair instead of shooting off without me (I was his gunner). Most don't wait around.

Need to be careful about your engineer setup before starting a game. If its a map with aircraft, you want to configure an anti-air missile (at least in the beginning) instead of the standard anti-tank. The radio beacon (for snipers IIRC) is actually good. You can place it on top of a tall building (for example) to avoid some long dangerous running.

Dunno if you get points for supplying ammo or health, I've never seen anything come up.

Some level 11 guys have a grenade launcher that I can't find the name of. A short stubby thing. Need to get my hands on that.

Really cannot decide if I should stick to certain sniper rifle and get the attachments or use the next one that comes along. There doesn't seem to be any damage comparison so how do you know which one to choose?

I've decided that it is a good game. Why? Because I look forward to playing it and even when getting a beating, I still want to play more.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2011, 05:37 PM

You find the anti-air useful? I find all my missiles flare'd, without fail. It's irritating.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2011, 05:53 PM

flare'd - what does that mean?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2011, 08:51 PM

Think AC-130 in MW2.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2011, 09:00 PM

Oh, and this shit needs to be removed: BF3 - MAV Roadkills - YouTube

Some guy was trolling on Metro with, just doing laps, racking up something like 10 or 15+ kills. If you want that thing to kill on contact, then make it take damage from collisions (with anything).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 30, 2011, 09:10 PM

…and I totally had a guy who was invincible to my bullets tonight. Not so much to my grenade...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 09:14 AM

F U C K M E .

First game of the day : 0-6

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Played as a chopper gunner and destroyed or helped to destroy all their vehicles in a Conquest game. Pretty fun. Finally made my engineer count for something. Been repairing left right and centre. One driver was clever and let me get out and repair instead of shooting off without me (I was his gunner). Most don't wait around.
When the heli is in the air, can an engineer in a passenger seat repair it?

Otherwise, I've steered clear of them. With the limited range of movement the turret has it's difficult to get more than a few shots off at a target at any given time.

Dunno if you get points for supplying ammo or health, I've never seen anything come up.
Heal = 10 points, Squad Heal = 20, Ammo Supply = 10 points, Squad Supply = 20.

Some level 11 guys have a grenade launcher that I can't find the name of. A short stubby thing. Need to get my hands on that.
M320

Really cannot decide if I should stick to certain sniper rifle and get the attachments or use the next one that comes along. There doesn't seem to be any damage comparison so how do you know which one to choose?
Yeah, I can't wait til Denkirson does stats for this game. It's maddening trying to figure out if I should be unlocking shit for default weapons or if I'm wasting my time.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 09:27 AM

Found a new weird thing the unlock system causes; I was patrolling with a tank on Caspian and I kept getting the lock-on warning, which was weird (and scary). I was afraid a chopper was doing to me, but then, at the end of the game I spied a tank far out and used my newly acquired homing missile on him...

...duh, that was what had been happening to me the entire match.

So yeah, even as I feel like I'm starting to understand the game, the game up and changes on me. Not looking forward to when I have to worry about about aerial attacks as a tank.
(Oh, and I find tanks free a surprising amount of the time. And too many people seem to not like being gunner. Gunner can be quite effective).

Speaking of learning the game, sometimes I don't even realize what I'm doing – I (reluctantly) gave up the auto-loader (cuts down reload time for the canon) to try out proximity scan. Boy is that useful. I thought my teammates were constantly spotting enemies around me. Got quite a few kills from those scans.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 09:36 AM

Some stats...

Crazy, huh? Really like the pistols in this game. Given the insane recoil in straight up situations they can be handy. I also keep mine silenced, so I can pick people off without teammates realizing what's going on.

I don't understand why, but I'm far more effective with Russian tanks. Or I play more as Russians. Or both.

My brief stint above 2.0 k/d before I let people play on the account tomorrow.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 09:48 AM

So, some favorite moments from this weekend:

• Playing on tehran highway, with mattyb, team attacking B flag. Survive a blast and then with 3% health, hustle across the street and dive behind the downed tanker to help secure the area.

• Also on Tehran with matty, See two dots nearby, run from B up a small hill behind them, then knife two prone enemies in a row. Soooo satisfying. (I get myself killed sometimes because I try for knives I shouldn't)

• Grand Bazaar. Enemy LAV comes out of spawn to attack C. Flank around a building, jump into the street, throw 3 C4 on it and immediately detonate before someone can kill me. Suicide and a quad kill.

• Same map, same game, same set-up, to a smaller vehicle. Double-kill/suicide.

• Sneaking up on a tank as an engineer when you're out of rockets and plasma torching the thing to death.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 11:52 AM

Whatever email you signed up with for email online is the one you have to use. You're already registered with EA.
I have no idea what you mean here. What sign-up for email on-line? I put in the passcode in the game. On the web I sign-up with a Gmail account. Where is the link between what I did on the Web and my account on XBL?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 11:55 AM

In order to play EA games online you must make an account with them. Which means if you're playing Battlefield and you weren't prompted to create an account when you bought it, then you have a pre-existing one lying on your HD. That is what you should be using to log into Battlelog.

Here, try this: https://account.ea.com/reg/xbl/gamer...c&locale=en_US

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 12:03 PM

When the heli is in the air, can an engineer in a passenger seat repair it?

Yeah, I can't wait til Denkirson does stats for this game. It's maddening trying to figure out if I should be unlocking shit for default weapons or if I'm wasting my time.
AFAIK an engineer cannot repair in mid-air.

Denkirson stats are the PC game and IIRC someone (maybe it was mythbusters) proved that they weren't worth shit when seeing which guns inflicted more damage.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 12:05 PM

Link to the stats?

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 31, 2011, 12:21 PM

Just playing the campaign to get accustomed to "how things are done" in this game (only got to play the beta twice). Not a fan of how much it guides you through the missions.
Anyway, if this multiple can do cross-platform, and anyone wants to add me as a friend, just search for my username [at] gmail and you shall find me.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 12:52 PM

In order to play EA games online you must make an account with them. Which means if you're playing Battlefield and you weren't prompted to create an account when you bought it, then you have a pre-existing one lying on your HD. That is what you should be using to log into Battlelog.

Here, try this: https://account.ea.com/reg/xbl/gamer...c&locale=en_US
Ze Veteran,

Before you can link your Gamertag to an EA Account, you must play at least one Xbox Live enabled EA game online. Once you do this, you will receive an email instructing you on how to return to this website and proceed with the link.

Note: You can register for an EA Account now and explore our online offerings, and return later to link your Gamertag to this account.
I've never received an email, just checked my spam as well. Thanks for the link Dakar, I'll talk to the store that sold me the game.

In other news, I'm getting pwned today. Really really really shite on Rush, CQ and even TDM.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 12:56 PM

Link to the stats?
MW2 stuff from here.

Damage is near 100% correct with data from the PC version's games_mp.log.
The range at which damage drops though is only approximate.
Player health is 100 and only 30 in "Hardcore".
Could have been a youtube vid actually, can't remember.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 12:59 PM

MW2 stuff from here.

Could have been a youtube vid actually, can't remember.
Wait were BF3 numbers disproven or MW2s? If it was MW2 I never, ever heard this mentioned online.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 01:07 PM

Sorry MW2's numbers, I haven't seen Denkirson's stuff for BF3. There's BF2 stuff.

It wasn't disproven as such, just that the testers found that the difference in damage (for consoles) given in game, what Denkirson had on the site and the tests didn't match up. Think that the same people did some tests with Blops weapons and the kick/recoil info didn't match either.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 01:10 PM

That's bizarre.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 01:14 PM

That's bizarre.
So is not being able to shoot through leaves on Favela.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 01:28 PM

Nah, that's shoddy coding/playtesting.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 02:49 PM

Should be good for Battlelog now Dakar. My Battlelog profile is Teh_Veteran and gamertag is Ze Veteran (with a space).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 02:53 PM

Wow, you are one dedicated sniper (and engineer).

Also, lucky you with an actual stinger kill.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2011, 05:31 PM

Wow, you are one dedicated sniper (and engineer).

Also, lucky you with an actual stinger kill.
Well, everything went to shit today. Rage quit and MW2 back in. Got my arse kicked over and over and over again. Dunno if I even won a game. Just to show how bad my day has been, I can't remember one heli that I was in as a passenger not crashing. Real kiss of shit.

I'm having trouble using your support class, especially in Rush which seems a bit faster than CQ. I can't ADS quick enough, and I found that I'm always being caught out reloading. Think that I'll carry one with the engineer, but I tried the Scar and its shite. Not touched the PP2000 yet. Had a go at the robot, and failed.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2011, 05:49 PM

In Rush I'd use it only on defense. Find a good spot, deploy bipods, kill shit. Gets twice as fun once you have the infrared or a decent scope.

Forum Links
Forum Rules