Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pro Macbook keeps booting into the wrong aspect ratio

Pro Macbook keeps booting into the wrong aspect ratio
Ham Sandwich
Feb 23, 2012, 08:55 AM

I connected my Macbook to a 4x3 projector, and usually this doesn't change the fact that the screen should boot up into 16:10 but now it keeps booting up into 4:3 and has black sidebars. This changes to 16:10 just before I see the login screen.

What's going on???? I keep checking my Display preferences and it says 1680 x 1050 all the time.

P
Feb 23, 2012, 04:21 PM

Try resetting your PRAM.

Wow, that advice was starting so smell, I haven't used it in so long...
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Ham Sandwich
Feb 24, 2012, 11:42 AM

Stink, yes, but it seemed to work.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 9, 2012, 07:34 AM

Wait, how come I need to reset my PRAM after every time I connect to a projector??

I have all the latest firmware and am running 10.7.3.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 9, 2012, 07:41 AM

How is your video set up? Mirror or dual screen? (I'm assuming mirror for projector use.) Does the screen automatically shift to 4:3 when you connect the projector? Do I understand correctly that the MBP changes back to 16:10 by itself when as it gets to the login screen?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2012, 01:24 PM

As I recall, the laptop detects the projector ratio as soon as projector is plugged in, and if you've got the laptop set to mirror, the laptop defaults to external projector ratio.

How old is the projector? If you've used it before, what was the previous behavior?

Ham Sandwich
Mar 11, 2012, 12:48 PM

My video is setup as lightpeak connection to VGA. I do not have a second monitor. I am using mirror mode. Yes, the screen shifts to 4:3 when connecting to the projector. When I unplug, the screen goes back to 16:10. With regard to rebooting, I do not use a login screen; I just boot into my account directly. But, yes, the screen switches from 4:3 to 16:10 before I see my desktop background.

I'm using a variety of projectors at work with varying models and years. I don't have the projectors with me so I have no idea what year they were. But I used to connect to them fine and not need to reset my PRAM all the time.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 3, 2012, 09:59 AM

This problem also occurs when I connect it to a newer HDTV.

This never used to happen.

Why do I keep needing to reset PRAM after every time I connect?

P
Apr 4, 2012, 02:37 PM

I think that what happens is that the Macbook figures out what the external display can handle and stores that in PRAM for some reason, and then doesn't clear it. You can clear PRAM from the command line using the nvram command (run it using sudo), so you can conceivably make a script that does so when double-clicked.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules