Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Widgets, gizmos and stuff you want on your laptops that Apple hasn't given you yet...

Widgets, gizmos and stuff you want on your laptops that Apple hasn't given you yet...
rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Feb 5, 2003, 03:02 AM

I think it's a fine time for suggestions. Actually, it really isn't, but I digress.

I want a dedicated volume dial. Not the Fn+Fx crap we have currently, or even a dedicated button, I want an honest to got dial that works before the laptop is even on. I have dedicated buttons on my laptop, and you can't change the increment so it's very hard to adjust the sound to a level where I want it. A dial would be perfect, but it's so rare.

I also want quick launch buttons- it's fine having a big iTunes icon in your dock, but often it's just much easier to push a button above your keyboard that launches iTunes (or whatever program you assign to it).

Lastly, a thumb wheel that I can use for scrolling. I'm thinking the sort found on some Compaq/HP laptops, a small round 4-way button that you can use for scrolling. It's very useful, and there's no reason not to have one.

I think Apple overlooks a lot of practical ideas (like 2 freakin' mouse buttons) because they want the inside of their laptops to be very sparse and simple looking, but function should meet form at one point.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2003, 03:14 AM

Frankly I like the simplicity of the powerbook design -- the last thing I want is for them to glom it up with a bunch of dedicated launch buttons, dials, jog wheels and stuff. Lots of PC laptops have them (or even built-in CD player controls) and to me it looks terrible.

But a device that could be used for scrolling would be nice.

mcm4mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 08:35 AM

One can purchase many of the items you mention from other sources. I use a Logitech wheel mouse with programable buttons and wheel for scrolling. I like the simplicity of the Mac. Each of us has the choice to dress our own Mac any way we like.

rampant  (op)
Banned
Feb 5, 2003, 11:32 AM

Yer, but who doesn't like quick scrolling? A mouse is something you often can't use in travel, so the more things are built in, the better.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2003, 01:45 PM

In general, I too like the clean design of the current keyboard.

Of course, this need not preclude the use of third party freeware and shareware to customize the functions of and add functionality to the available keys.

ucontrol can add scroll wheel-like functionality to the trackpad.

I personally use DragThing to add simple key commands to launch iTunes and numerous other applications.

There are many other avenues you can explore as well.

milhous
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2003, 03:56 PM

Some PC laptops have a nice feature where a small portion of the right-hand side of trackpad is partitioned off so that it can be used for scrolling.

In terms of volume control, Apple could probably use a smaller version of the solid-state wheel that's used in the iPod and integrate that into the PowerBook. It would be much more aesthetically pleasing and more durable then to have a mechanical pc-esque scroll wheel that's found in a mouse.
F = ma

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Feb 5, 2003, 05:54 PM

All I ask for is for the huge mouse button to be divided into two - I'm stick to death of having to hold down CTRL every time I want to right-click.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2003, 07:31 PM

I'd hate two mouse buttons (or a split). I hope if they did that it'd be BTO only.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

israces
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2003, 08:32 PM

GPS built-in with a hardware based phone home function. Then you could go to your .mac account and see where your stolen laptop is. Also good for using mapping software.
Backup your Backup

rampant  (op)
Banned
Feb 5, 2003, 09:31 PM

Oh, and I can't stand touchpads that are flush with the palm rests. That's horrible to use, I need a border.

Karim
Senior User
Feb 5, 2003, 10:15 PM

For the love of God, please put in a small video camera into the screen frame or body near the hinge. Having a split trackpad button would be useful too.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by Karim:
For the love of God, please put in a small video camera into the screen frame or body near the hinge.
My head would probably explode if they did that!

rampant  (op)
Banned
Feb 6, 2003, 12:59 AM

The 17 inch powerbook might sell like hotcakes if they had that feature.

Then again, I don't know how well hotcakes sell.

einberliner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2003, 07:26 AM

I'd like to see:

1) Hinges that don't snap off. I've had my TiBook (used but bought from a friend who's a fanatic about taking care of things) for two weeks and my left hinge snapped off...

2) A dedicated high-resolution (24/192 would be nice) digital audio output. TOSlink or coax, don't care.

3) Two trackpad buttons (OK, OK, I'm a recent "switcher".)

4) The IrDA and modem on separate ports. It's annoying when I have to use the modem to go online, because when I'm online I can't sync my Palm. (Palm Vx = no USB sync)

5) A second Dock. One for programs, one for documents. One could go on each side of these beautiful wide screens.

That's about it.

ivi
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2003, 08:01 AM

I'd like a keyboard backlight on my Ti.
Higher resolution.
Dock as descibed by einberliner.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 9, 2003, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by rampant:
I think it's a fine time for suggestions. Actually, it really isn't, but I digress.

I want a dedicated volume dial. Not the Fn+Fx crap we have currently, or even a dedicated button, I want an honest to got dial that works before the laptop is even on. I have dedicated buttons on my laptop, and you can't change the increment so it's very hard to adjust the sound to a level where I want it. A dial would be perfect, but it's so rare.

I also want quick launch buttons- it's fine having a big iTunes icon in your dock, but often it's just much easier to push a button above your keyboard that launches iTunes (or whatever program you assign to it).

first:
Don't use the Fn key when you use the volume function keys. You'll be surprised to find they adjust the volume just fine with one key press. No combination needed.

second: there was a third party hack that let you assign the Fx function keys to launch applications. I can't remember it right now.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
All I ask for is for the huge mouse button to be divided into two - I'm stick to death of having to hold down CTRL every time I want to right-click.

works thru 9.2.2 only, but check out:

http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...id=2483&db=mac

great when i'm without a mouse!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

elmer
Feb 9, 2003, 04:58 PM

Bluetooth Apple Pro keyboard
Bluetooth ethernet cable replacement
I'd like a powerbook that doesn't need a case
Infinite battery life
FM receiver
FM transmitter (a la iTrip)
A RAID array of IBM microdrives
Voice activated power-on and screen up
A video conferencing / remote sharing iApp
DVD remote
Classic sci-fi form factor
wireless firewire
Oh - and it should function from -50 to +50 degrees celsius underwater
Quad 4 GHz low power G5
6 GB persistent RAM
motion sensor
21" wide screen
Fits in shirt pocket
( Last edited by elmer; Feb 9, 2003 at 05:06 PM. )

Feb 12, 2003, 06:02 PM

second: there was a third party hack that let you assign the Fx function keys to launch applications. I can't remember it right now.
fruitmenu will do this in addition to letting you change items in your apple menu *and* have custom "move to..." (and other things) in your contextual menu. i have F8 = Fire / F9 = Entourage / F10 = Safari ... etc etc etc... i normally dislike paying for shareware unless it is *really* good... and fruitmenu ... is.

there are some dual dock apps out there as well... i don't know how useful that would honestly be though. fruitmenu lets you put apps in your apple menu which leaves your dock mo' emptier.

i do not work for fruitmenu company (whatever it is...) i just like it.

drainyoo
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 06:38 PM

There isnt much I would want to add but I really really want a 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel on it. Thats what I want from Apple.

Oh yeah and also I want them to make the Contrast, Volume and Mute buttons their own buttons. I use the F keys a lot in Flash and its really annoying to have to press the FN button.
i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by elmer:
Bluetooth Apple Pro keyboard
Bluetooth ethernet cable replacement
I'd like a powerbook that doesn't need a case
Infinite battery life
FM receiver
FM transmitter (a la iTrip)
A RAID array of IBM microdrives
Voice activated power-on and screen up
A video conferencing / remote sharing iApp
DVD remote
Classic sci-fi form factor
wireless firewire
Oh - and it should function from -50 to +50 degrees celsius underwater
Quad 4 GHz low power G5
6 GB persistent RAM
motion sensor
21" wide screen
Fits in shirt pocket
LMAO!!! You rock!!
i hate project managers.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2003, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by elmer:
stuff...
21" wide screen
Fits in shirt pocket
Listen to this man.
Am I still here?

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2003, 08:44 PM

Just give me back dual battery bays! Is that too much to ask for, Mr. Stephen P. Jobs?

cwasko
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by legionare:
Just give me back dual battery bays! Is that too much to ask for, Mr. Stephen P. Jobs?
Yea, u think they'd be able to do it on the 17". That was the first thing I thought of (besides buying the 17") when I saw it.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 12:52 AM

I use YoupiKey (see Versiontracker) for my function key launchers. Works great.
F8= Citrix
F9= mail.app
F10= Chimera

you get the idea....
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

elmer
Apr 1, 2003, 05:07 PM

A few minor additions, in honour of April 1st:

Passion fruit scented power supply
Self-cleaning vents / speaker grills / keyboard / ports (lets put that heat to use)
Really really big Apple stickers
Free apples (I prefer Golden Delicious)
Invisible terminal windows
Built-in slide scanner
Theft-deterrent siren
Hardware Update
OLED touch-screen
Zero configuration dating service
Nvida AT1 GeForge SX All-in-Wunder 99000 with Fries ToGo 1GB
Bundled with Xerix 802.12 printer/copier/FAX/laminator/shredder/splinter

Forum Links
Forum Rules