Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > GUI customization : how dangerous is it ?

GUI customization : how dangerous is it ?
chu-ka-pi
Jun 10, 2003, 03:29 PM

First of, I know nothing about themes under
Mac OS X. I remember having read here that
using themes (and thus third party
applications) can be very dangerous and
lead to very serious problems of stability.

Can any users in the knowledge please
comment on that ? I would be willing to
change a bit the look of my system (Aqua is
nice but it's getting boring sometimes) but
not if it can be dangerous. Maybe this is
something that has been extensively discussed,
so please if this is the case, don't flame.

If theming is safe, what "tools" do you
recommend to use?

Thanks for your help

fireside
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 03:31 PM

how do people make it so their posts only take up like, 1/4 of the entire post area? while for everyone else it takes up the whole thing?

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
how do people make it so their posts only take up like, 1/4 of the entire post area? while for everyone else it takes up the whole thing?
they hit return at the end of the little reply box, thinking that they have to to get to the next line, rather than just keep typing and let it skip to the next line for you.

TheDisaster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2003, 03:59 PM

It depends on what you change. If you change just the basic look of your OS (buttons, toolbars, widgets, scrollbars, menus, menu hishglights, etc.) you are replacing a file called Extras.rsrc with one that has been changed. This is fairly safe, and is the basics of what comes in all themes you download. Most themes also come with new buttons and images for the log in screen, this is also fairly safe. To switch themes I suggest you use ThemeChanger, which I have never had a problem with at all. Basically, just make sure you know what the theme you're installing is going to change, and that it has been tested with your version of OS X. Installing an outdated theme can be pretty bad, you may have to boot into OS 9 to fix it. Most theme switchers check the OS version of the theme you're installing for you, but you should always double check yourself. If you're not careless, changing your theme is safe.
|wishing is for suckers|

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2003, 04:24 PM

themechanger is a good program to change your themes. download themes and then put them in library/themes folder, if there is not one, create one. themechanger will look there for all your themes.

i am running smooth stripes glossy right now. it has the same look as aqua, but minus the stripes, and plus a plastic look.

click for larger view

if you want to get further into gui customization you can start changing your icons.
candybar will do that for you. candybar comes with some .icontainers which will change all your icons, and finding more on the internet is not very difficult.

enjoy

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 10, 2003, 04:58 PM

Just install Aqua Fix and read the documentation before you get started, and you will be fine.
The worst thing that could (unlikeley) happen is that your computer wont boot, but that is easily fixed with Aqua Fix.

FB Eye
Senior User
Jun 10, 2003, 05:08 PM

mdc, I want that cool desktop!!!

err... please?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
The worst thing that could (unlikeley) happen is that your computer wont boot, but that is easily fixed with Aqua Fix.
Not if themers keep on randomly changing binary files, such as BootX. Silly themers. Also note that not all Mac hardware has a video card which is supported by OF, I don't think, so some people can't get to single user mode.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
mdc, I want that cool desktop!!!

err... please?
1024x768 target wallpaper in 14 different colour variations
there is a .sit file with colour variations so that you can make osX fade in colours. it looks *too* awesome!

pm me if you need to know how to change the amount of time osX takes to change wallpaper.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 07:59 PM

People often say that themeing can make your system slow or unstable or crashy etc. That is blaming themes for something that is caused by other problems. When themes go bad you know it, because your system won't start or something looks very wrong... like missing widgets etc. The only time themes really cause problems is when the OS is updated and old themes are installed on top of the new resources. If you don't install themes unless they specifically say they are for your operating system I'd say they are perfectly safe.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 08:06 PM

I'd say it's worth the risk, and if something does happen it's not too hard to fix. Get Aqua Fix, that helps, and you can always do a clean install, if you have to.
click one

Sage
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 08:18 PM

Themes are definitely "use at your own discretion", but man, the benefits so outweigh the few problems. I can saw that it's very rarely a theme's fault for a system problem... if you know what you're doing, you will almost never have a problem. When I first started using themes and didn't know what I was doing, I used MetamorphX in 10.2 (*gasp!*), and so screwed up my system pretty badly... I can't remember how I eventually fixed the system, but for a long time I could only boot into single user mode.

But that's the only problem I've had, and now that I know more about themeing, plus I have AquaFix as a very reliable backup, I'm pretty close to risk-free.

Just download AquaFix, use the latest theme switchers, and use themes from reliable themers, and you should be A-O-K.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 08:26 PM

Make sure you use themes compatible with you're ver of OS X also.
click one

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 08:53 PM

Obligatory shameless plug - don't forget about Mighty Mouse to change your cursors!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2003, 10:55 PM

It's not dangerous. I've never had any theme-related problems. Just avoid Duality at all costs and you'll be fine.

chu-ka-pi  (op)
Jun 11, 2003, 05:42 AM

Thank you all for your replies!! I think
I'll jump into the bandwagon and try to
theme my desktop! :-)

Oh and by the way Weezer, I perfectly
know that I don't have to hit return to
mark a linebreak. But still, I do it.
Having very long lines can make text
difficult to read. This is why the newpapers
are generally printed using a multi-column
format. I don't mean to waste space, but
rather to be easier on the eyes for the readers.

Cheers,

CKP

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 11, 2003, 05:46 AM

Not if themers keep on randomly changing binary files, such as BootX. Silly themers
Us silly themers don't change binary files randomly. I change one binary file in my themes, and I always make sure a theme works before I release anything.
Silly theme switch programmers should make sure that their applications don't apply a theme if it's not ment to be used for the running system version...
But I believe this is not the case with the current theme switchers, so why do you keep bringing this up?

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 07:14 AM

Well, since you appear to be new here, how about trying it our way. Manual line breaks are a waste of space and this isn't a newspaper and your way isn't easier on the eyes... Unless someone here has tunnel-vision, I guess.

Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

FB Eye
Senior User
Jun 11, 2003, 09:23 AM

Wow, thanks alot mdc!!! Nice desktops indeed

x user
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 11:48 PM

Why does everyone seem to avoid Duality like the plaugue? I personally have been using it for while now with no problems.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2003, 05:05 AM

Us silly themers don't change binary files randomly.
Sure you do, you just admitted it later in your post.
But I believe this is not the case with the current theme switchers, so why do you keep bringing this up?
I keep bringing it up because themers keep ignoring my advice.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Jun 12, 2003, 10:35 AM

Sure you do, you just admitted it later in your post.
No, I said I change one binary file. No themer changes binary files randomly, that would not make sense.

I will keep ignoring your advice.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2003, 10:46 AM

I will keep ignoring your advice.
If I ever update ThemeChanger I just won't let it install binary files. Or put up a warning box saying, "This theme is trying to alter binary code in your system. This is an incredibly stupid thing to do, and could result in random problems, including but not limited to your system being left in an unbootable state. Do you want to continue?"

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2003, 01:33 PM

I've had several problems with themes in the past. No problems since 10.2 probably. I can't imagine how a theme would slow down your computer? Anyone claiming that they do is either imagining it or has some other problem with their machine that they are attributing to themes.

Many thanks to Swiz, Max, Izawa and William Bart for all their quality theme's!

p.s.: Billy, you better get the lead out!
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

chu-ka-pi  (op)
Jun 12, 2003, 02:16 PM

> DigitalEl wrote :
>
> [...] this isn't a newspaper and your way isn't
> easier on the eyes... [...]

Depends on the width of your browser window

;-)

Awimoway
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
If I ever update ThemeChanger I just won't let it install binary files. Or put up a warning box saying, "This theme is trying to alter binary code in your system. This is an incredibly stupid thing to do, and could result in random problems, including but not limited to your system being left in an unbootable state. Do you want to continue?"
Is that why my computer won't restart? I'm using ThemeChanger and Max's Brushed Theme. (To be fair, I used it for months with no problems, and the problems started with a crash when I was briefly logged into OS 9, with 9 being set as the startup disk.)

But maybe you can help me with a related stability issue. Since it looks like I'm going to have to archive and install OS X again to get things running, do you think this is going to cause trouble since I currently have a theme installed? Obviously, under ideal circumstances I would never archive and install the OS with a theme installed, but these are not ideal circumstances. I'm sweatin' here. I want to avoid having to do a clean install, if possible.

kelesh
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2003, 06:30 AM

Originally posted by smeger:
Obligatory shameless plug - don't forget about Mighty Mouse to change your cursors!
uhh, $10 to change a cursor - you've GOT to be kidding. is there a freeware OSX program that'll do this? this is even free in windows, how come OSX 10.2 doesn't have this. will 10.3 have it? stuff like this and even themechanging is surprisingly more supported in windows(xp) (even though its uglier)

Mike S.
Senior User
Oct 19, 2003, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by kelesh:
stuff like this and even themechanging is surprisingly more supported in windows(xp)
I'm so tired of every body being "surprised" about how non-customizable Mac OS X is compared to Windows.

Windows has been a paradigm of customizability since the days of Windows 3.1. XP took it to the next level by supporting a complete overhaul vs. color, font and size changes.

I hate to break it to everybody (again) but the Mac has never been all that customizable out of the box, X is more stringent than 9 but 9 didn't hold a candle to Windows anything.

Thank Rose and Landwebber for Mac customization, beg them to revive Kaleidoscope for OS X if you want real customization to return.

BTW, I tend to agree that too many little things have price tags attached on OS X compared to Windows but this has been the case on the Mac for a long time as well.

RGB
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by mdc:
1024x768 target wallpaper in 14 different colour variations
there is a .sit file with colour variations so that you can make osX fade in colours. it looks *too* awesome!

pm me if you need to know how to change the amount of time osX takes to change wallpaper.
Have you taken the file down? It can't be found, I'd like to download it.

smeger
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by kelesh:
uhh, $10 to change a cursor - you've GOT to be kidding. is there a freeware OSX program that'll do this? this is even free in windows, how come OSX 10.2 doesn't have this. will 10.3 have it? stuff like this and even themechanging is surprisingly more supported in windows(xp) (even though its uglier)
Well, think of it then as that you're paying $10 for a nice cursor editor and an importer for XP cursors. And the ability to zoom. And the ability to use non-standard cursor sizes. And the ability to animate the arrow. And the ability to use cursor sets...

Mighty Mouse gives you a lot for your tenspot.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

memento
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by chu-ka-pi:
Thank you all for your replies!! I think
I'll jump into the bandwagon and try to
theme my desktop! :-)

Cheers,

CKP
As a reader, I find it harder on my eyes when I have to go to the next line every 1/4 second. I though that newspapers were formatted that way so that people commuting on trains could read a whole article while minimizing their bumping elbows with the people next to them? And that they are still that way largely out of tradition?
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by x user:
Why does everyone seem to avoid Duality like the plaugue? I personally have been using it for while now with no problems.
what is duality? is this one of the themes available through one of the programs mentioned here? or something able to set in OS X? just wondering as i would like to learn, but am not sure how to or where to start (theming/customizing, that is). is there a thread in here somewhere that i just haven't found to learn what programs are necessary, other than apparently AquaFix (what's it do) as it is listed here several times? or is this the place to learn about how to?
thanks!!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by zanyterp:
what is duality? is this one of the themes available through one of the programs mentioned here? or something able to set in OS X? just wondering as i would like to learn, but am not sure how to or where to start (theming/customizing, that is). is there a thread in here somewhere that i just haven't found to learn what programs are necessary, other than apparently AquaFix (what's it do) as it is listed here several times? or is this the place to learn about how to?
thanks!!
Duality is a theme changer that doesn't work too well... ThemeChanger is the standard right now: http://themechanger.sourceforge.net/
There you go: http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/ everything you need is there.
click one

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2003, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Duality is a theme changer that doesn't work too well... ThemeChanger is the standard right now: http://themechanger.sourceforge.net/
There you go: http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/ everything you need is there.
I use Themer instead (of ThemeChanger.)
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

vision619
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 02:52 PM

Well I installed a theme fromThis Site for panther last night. This message is not to blast the creator but to simply inform him. It may also be important to mention I am writing this message from and old PC I had in the garage while I zero out and re-install 10.3 on my computer.

It looked really good at first but then I started noticing problems. Like the menu bar would disappear when certain applications were running. I decided to install the "Revert to Aqua" uption from the IMG and resarted. At that point my finder would continuously open and quit every 1 second. If I started an application, it would simply quit. I couldn't get to any of my files so I had to use an OS9 install CD to start up from so I could move important files (such as mailboxes) to a temporary HD.

Needless to say, that's the last attempt I'll have at that..
I'm not hatin though. You guys have balls doing that s***.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by vision619:
Well I installed a theme fromThis Site for panther last night. This message is not to blast the creator but to simply inform him. It may also be important to mention I am writing this message from and old PC I had in the garage while I zero out and re-install 10.3 on my computer.

It looked really good at first but then I started noticing problems. Like the menu bar would disappear when certain applications were running. I decided to install the "Revert to Aqua" uption from the IMG and resarted. At that point my finder would continuously open and quit every 1 second. If I started an application, it would simply quit. I couldn't get to any of my files so I had to use an OS9 install CD to start up from so I could move important files (such as mailboxes) to a temporary HD.

Needless to say, that's the last attempt I'll have at that..
I'm not hatin though. You guys have balls doing that s***.
Don't know what you did to get it to mess up like that. I've installed it on 2 computers with no problems.
click one

vision619
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Don't know what you did to get it to mess up like that. I've installed it on 2 computers with no problems.
Me either. It was probably some freak occurrence.

I can say one thing though. I'm kind of glad it happened. 10.3 is running WAY more efficient after the clean install!

vision619
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
[B]
Well, since you appear to be new here, how about trying it our way. Manual line breaks are a waste of space and this isn't a newspaper and your way isn't easier on the eyes... Unless someone here has tunnel-vision, I guess.

Hey DigitalEl, you need to get a life! LOL

Who cares if he wants to type that way.

Do you have nothing better to do than bash

him for the way he types legitimate questions

on these boards? People like you drive so

called "new users" away from these boards.

And BTW, my name may say new, but i've been

using apple probably since you were just an

itch in your daddys' balls.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by vision619:
Hey DigitalEl, you need to get a life! LOL

Who cares if he wants to type that way.

Do you have nothing better to do than bash

him for the way he types legitimate questions

on these boards? People like you drive so

called "new users" away from these boards.

And BTW, my name may say new, but i've been

using apple probably since you were just an

itch in your daddys' balls.

Anderton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2003, 06:54 PM

So where do i find the PANTHER Aqua Restore. Installed Smooth Stripes a while ago (the installer version). But now the Smooth Stripes package does not contain an Aqua restore file. Just the theme file.

I wanted to uninstall and play with ShapeShifter... :/

quandarry
Nov 18, 2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Anderton:
So where do i find the PANTHER Aqua Restore. Installed Smooth Stripes a while ago (the installer version). But now the Smooth Stripes package does not contain an Aqua restore file. Just the theme file.

you don't need to restore aqua to use shifter.

smeger
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by quandarry:
you don't need to restore aqua to use shifter.
Yes, you do. If you don't "restore aqua" before using ShapeShifter, there are two potential problems: things that your SS theme doesn't change that your previous theme did will appear with the previous theme's appearance, and, themes that are auto-updated for use with Panther (from Jaguar) will be heavily funktified.

So if you were using a non-standard theme before installing ShapeShifter, it's highly recommended that you revert to standard Aqua. So highly recommended, in fact, that a great big sheet drops down in ShapeShifter telling you to do so the first time you launch it.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Nov 19, 2003, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Anderton:

There is a aqua restore located on the dmg, if you kept that. Otherwise you will have to download the aqua restore from my homepage and use ThemeChanger to apply it.

quandarry
Nov 19, 2003, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
Yes, you do. If you don't "restore aqua" before using ShapeShifter, there are two potential problems: things that your SS theme doesn't change that your previous theme did will appear with the previous theme's appearance, and, themes that are auto-updated for use with Panther (from Jaguar) will be heavily funktified.

So if you were using a non-standard theme before installing ShapeShifter, it's highly recommended that you revert to standard Aqua. So highly recommended, in fact, that a great big sheet drops down in ShapeShifter telling you to do so the first time you launch it.
heh i've always been a risktaker.
been so long since i've had aqua on my mac....

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2003, 07:45 PM

DO NOT USE THEMECHANGER 0.6.1 if you have Panther. It fricking gnarled my Finder out, I had to reinstall Panther in archive mode, then my fricking Palm Desktop would not reinstall (known problem it seems). ARGH!

Forum Links
Forum Rules