Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 12" and HEAT issues

PB 12" and HEAT issues
Switched2Mac
Baninated
Jan 28, 2004, 12:35 AM

Finally bought a 12" PB (w/SuperDrive). Love it too.

However, I have a problem with the heat this thing puts out.

I am running that temperature monitoring software and it runs anywhere from 103 degrees (doing little) to 147 degrees encoding MPG-1 files into Roxio6 for a DVD.

I have concerns that not only is the heat doing things to the PB (eventual hw failures, warping, peeling, etc.) as well as the fact that it is very uncomfortable to use (especially the left palm rest).

Switched2Mac  (op)
Baninated
Jan 28, 2004, 12:38 AM

Unfortunately, I am considering returning the PowerBook.

The speakers on the 12" PB are very good. I was pleasantly surprised too. I thought they would suck and knew that going into the purchase, but they are very nice.

Seems to reflect the sound off the LCD panel.

Laptop has cooled (if you can call it that) to 118 degrees now.

Switched2Mac  (op)
Baninated
Jan 28, 2004, 01:03 AM

I can easily say that, IMHO, the HEAT issue with the 12" PowerBook has not been fixed or addressed.

I am very down about this.

jim_az
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2004, 04:13 AM

And you have upgraded to OS X 10.3.2?

Az Jim

Switched2Mac  (op)
Baninated
Jan 28, 2004, 08:30 AM

Yes.

Running 10.3.2 at the moment.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2004, 10:34 AM

Do you have a cool pad or something to raise it up a little? I got a Podium Pad and my temp dropped from 123-125F to 108-118F I think tha ti very good.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

new newton
Banned
Jan 28, 2004, 02:00 PM

People have different tolerances for heat. My Rev. A 12" has a reputation for being one of Apple's hotter PBs, but it seems fine to me. It is quite warm at times but not nearly as bad as you'll hear some people describe it.

Tek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2004, 03:28 PM

The only time mine ever gets uncomfortably hot is when i'm doing something off of a cd. Other than that it feels not warm at all to the touch...

May God Be With You.
-Matt

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 04:20 PM

OMG I miss the heat issues. Now after upgrading to 10.3.2 I have SOUND issues with that stupid fan coming on at a very low CPU temperature reading! It used to come on only when playing games or converting an iMovie but now it turns on even when using Safari and typing a paper! And it won't turn off unless you leave it alone for 5 minutes! The fan is ALWAYS on and it pisses the sh*t out of me.

On top of that we have the slow boot/login problem which yes you can fix with that hack but it's absolutely pathetic that Apple didn't catch that before releasing it.

10.3.2 has GOT to be the worst OS X update ever.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2004, 11:45 PM

My Powerbook is 124 deg. F (by the way, some of us are not in the US so please indicate your temperature scale, since the rest of the world uses Celsius) and I barely feel any the heat. And this is cooler than it sometimes is. The fan isn't even on. The Powerbook is on a desk.

You must be using your PB on your lap or something to feel the heat, because if you have it on a desk you shouldn't have much reason to complain.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Switched2Mac  (op)
Baninated
Jan 29, 2004, 12:20 AM

Celsius.....OK.

Actually, the US military uses the metric system. Even back in the early 80's.

Anyway, right now I have the powerbook sitting on a Targus Coolpad (elevates laptop and slight incline).

I have the following apps running:

Safari
Mail
Acquisition
iTunes
Console
Fire
Temperature Monitor
iChat
few Finder windows open

The temperature is 122.5 degrees and climbing slowly. Fan has been on for some time running slowly. Fan noise doesn't bother me since I am used to PC fans all day at work and home too.

I fully understand that laptops get hot and fans make noise. However, the heat under the left wrist rest area is borderline annoying.

I called the Apple Store and they will let me return this one (had it only for a few days) and upgrade to a 15" PB w/SuperDrive with me paying the difference (no restocking fee).

I am inclined to do that. But, I did not want to spend that much when all is said and done, PLUS, I really love the tiny size of this laptop.

But the heat is an annoyance.......

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 12:33 AM

what app. is everyone using for doing monitoring ?
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Switched2Mac  (op)
Baninated
Jan 29, 2004, 01:11 AM

Search Google for Temperature Monitor v1.4

Damn, I just found a dead pixel too. Stuck on red. But that bothers me only 1/100th as much as the heat.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2004, 02:25 AM

I'm American and I use Farenheit in everyday life..but please can people post their temperatures in Celcius? Celcius is a scientific unit and should be used when monitoring the temperature of a CPU. Just because you go around say [southern accent] its gotta be in the low 50s today[/southern accent] doesnt mean that you should use that common folk speak in your computer!

Switch2Celcius!

Or at least post both temperatures. I hate having to use the Calculator because I can't convert F temperatures above 100 very well in my head.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2004, 04:15 AM

Same here (minus the God bit). Mine can get warm but it's generally only when the optical drive's been in use for a while.

Originally posted by Tek:
The only time mine ever gets uncomfortably hot is when i'm doing something off of a cd. Other than that it feels not warm at all to the touch...

May God Be With You.
-Matt

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Switched2Mac:
I am inclined to do that. But, I did not want to spend that much when all is said and done, PLUS, I really love the tiny size of this laptop.

But the heat is an annoyance....... [/B]
Have you considered going over to the dark side and buying an iBook? I've never heard of any iBook heat issues. They are G4 now and look like good machines...and you'll save some cash.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Burke
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2004, 11:07 AM

Well, 147 degrees Fahrenheit is just about 64 degrees Celsius, which isn't bad at all for a CPU at max load, especially one within the tight confines of a laptop case.

But as was mentioned, heat tolerance is subjective; some folks don't mind it, others loathe it. It's just par for the course with portables, though.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2004, 11:21 AM

My rev b 12" PowerBook goes from about 45C (113F) in light use to a max of about 60C (140F) under heavy use.

The fan goes on at 48C (118.4F) but at first it's rather quiet. At full power it's well audible, but it's not loud in the sense of loud as my former MDD PowerMac.

I've never found it uncomfortable to touch, but above 50C (122F) it is indeed rather warm. On a hot summer day it would definitely be too hot (I hate sweaty palms).

All in all, for me it's fine. Having a cooler Book is always nice, but having less than a 1GHz G4 in it would be more than just un-nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules