Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Money Corrupts?

Money Corrupts?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2004, 08:12 PM

Check it out.

Is this guy a loser or what?

What would any of you do with a $300 MILLION dollar payday?

I sure as heck wouldn't be getting myself in trouble with the law repeatedly.

(Where's Ca$h, by the way? )

Jack Whittaker, 57, was arrested Tuesday night after his Hummer struck a concrete median on the West Virginia Turnpike near Beckley.

Senior Trooper M.J. Pinardo reported that he smelled alcohol, but Whittaker refused sobriety tests and was "extremely belligerent." Troopers also said they found a small pistol in Whittaker's boot and he was carrying $117,000 in cash.

Whittaker, who was alone, complained of back pain. He was treated at a hospital, and then jailed early Wednesday.

Whittaker was released after he was arraigned and posted $1,700 bail. Besides the DUI and weapons charge, he was charged with failure to maintain control of his vehicle and failure to submit to a breath test.

It was the latest in a series of incidents involving Whittaker since he took home the largest single jackpot ever.

Whittaker's vehicle, business and home have allegedly been broken into multiple times.

The body of 18-year-old Jesse Joe Tribble was found at Whittaker's home in September. Tribble's death was not a crime and Whittaker was out of town at the time.

Whittaker also faces charges of assaulting and threatening a manager at a bar in January.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 08:43 PM

I'd get one of these:

and one of these:

and I'd have $298.6 million left over for gas money and insurance!

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 1, 2004, 09:00 PM

I would pay off my bills and the bills of all my friends and family. I would likely give a large sum to each of my parents. I would stash a large amount in a savings account, or maybe a couple just to keep it split up a bit. Then I would hire someone to invest the rest for me. Of course, somewhere in between there I would buy myself lots of toys and go travel. If I were to win right now (impossible since I don't play the lotto), I would finish school before I started toying around. I only have a few months left. It's not worth bailing now even if I won't need it for money.

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2004, 09:05 PM

what, no winky smilie today Cody?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2004, 09:07 PM

Is that good enough for you?

So, no one here would go out and drive crazy and get in trouble with the law and go home to find dead people staring up at them on their carpets?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2004, 09:09 PM

It's really sad. People who aren't used to having money always over-compensate when they come into it suddenly. It runs through their fingers, throws them off balance, and ruins their life. Becoming rich over night can be the worst thing to ever happen to you.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

realitybath
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2004, 09:09 PM

i'd buy a death star

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2004, 09:23 PM

I've got OnStar so I don't need a deathstar.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2004, 09:28 PM

i'd get a whorehouse and a mountain of cocaine.

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 09:32 PM

i would get and iPod photo
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2004, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
I've got OnStar so I don't need a deathstar.

Hey Cody!

Not operating on all 8 cylinders today. But I'm good.

Uh, yes. Money can be a life changing experience.

A few years ago I secretly slipped some bills ($50) under the door of my elderly (fixed income) next door neighbors and waited to hear the screams of delight come through the walls.

They fought and yelled and it was the strangest feeling in the world. I had brought them turmoil.

I did it once again a couple of weeks later. Same thing.

Never again.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2004, 09:50 PM

I'd buy a MLB team and make Rickey Henderson a starter again...

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
Hey Cody!

A few years ago I secretly slipped some bills ($50) under the door of my elderly (fixed income) next door neighbors and waited to hear the screams of delight come through the walls.

They fought and yelled and it was the strangest feeling in the world. I had brought them turmoil.

Never again.
they probably fought and yelled over everything.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
i'd get a whorehouse and a mountain of cocaine.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by aberdeenwriter:
Hey Cody!

Never again.
Well now I'm 100% sure that you are a bastard.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 1, 2004, 10:23 PM

I know what I'd do. It involves giving to friends / family who could use a little boost, setting up a charitable foundation, and locking the rest away from myself (after buying some toys) and pay myself, but not an exorbitant amount.

Some people just can't deal with it.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Kilbey
Baninated
Dec 2, 2004, 12:59 AM

Check it out.

Is this guy a loser or what?

I sure as heck wouldn't be getting myself in trouble with the law repeatedly.

I once read a statistic where 99% of all lottery winners gain weight and over 40% declare bankruptcy in less than 10 years. You can give a man a fish, but it won't feed him for long it appears.

(Where's Ca$h, by the way? )
It's a much better lounge without him. He got pissed off at all of us. Here's his farewell speech.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2004, 02:20 AM

Thanks, Kilbey. I missed that great sendoff!

Here is some virtual Ca$h for the good old times...yep, even though you're not here, Ca$h, you're still posting.

Okay, this isn't for this screenname, this is for me. This place meant a lot to me, and I've been here...****.. since 1999 at some point on a regular basis. With this forum, I've discovered what liberals are, and why they suck, a lot of information about religon, moral questions, life, etc. It was pretty great. But honestly, the lounge is a complete sack of **** in it's present state. Back in the day, there were a LOT of interesting posts with a lot of interesting people writing a lot of interesting things. It seems that all that is lost, instead replaced with a bunch of pathetic ****ing internet geeks who couldn't get laid in monkey whorehouse with a bag full of bananas. "Oh gee my post count means so much to me!" And when I point out the problem with the +1 faggots, I get chastised for being a trouble maker even though I haven't even been posting very often? Uh, okay. Again, internet dorks. The poll results are quite obvious, the majority is ****ing annoyed at all the little chickenshits who think it's cool to waste space and bandwidth by posting a "+1" to everything, yet the ****ing administration ignores it, and locks my topic. Way to go! Let's give it up for the (total lack of) moderation!!! Then we have Kilbey. Wow. He openly admits to coming back to the forums just to try to irritate me, and he isn't banned?

Anyway, you guys can have your lounge, I'm not coming back. I've met quite a few great people through here, but guess what? They don't really post here anymore either. This place has become a big cluster**** of internet dork random aggression and pimply faced virgin lameness. So yeah, I'm out. Have fun talking about star trek, getting divorces, and... oh wait, actually there really isn't much substance in here at all, just a bunch of total ****ing retards who "+1" everything.

**** off!

- Ca$h

PS: To all the people who are going to "+1" this thread, you really aren't even funny. I hope someday you realize how lame it is, and accept the fact that you have tiny dicks.
+1, BTW.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 11:31 AM

considering that power follows money in modern american society, the old adage that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely is rather applicable

money corrupts and a shitload of money corrupts without fail

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
considering that power follows money in modern american society, the old adage that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely is rather applicable

money corrupts and a shitload of money corrupts without fail
Not just in modern American society, that's the way it's always been in every society. It's all part of human nature.

See, the problem lies in a lack of humility. 99.9999% of people who come into a fortune (over night success) will begin to feel that they're better than anyone else. They don't understand the twist of fate that caused their "good fortune". If they'd actually worked for that money, they would be more inclined to understand the responsibility that comes with having great wealth. There's quite a difference between a "self-made" person and some shmuck who wins the lotto. The guy in the article who won $300M will always be "lower class", despite how much cash he has lying around.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2004, 12:12 PM

Money certainly didn't do him any good. A very sad situation.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2004, 12:14 PM

I smell television movie.

Or even an Oscar grab by Kevin Spacey playing the beligerent millionaire drunk who learns a lesson about the meaning of "success" too late.

Cue the theme to "Arthur"...
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 12:16 PM

$300m? Not nearly enough. Now, �300m I could have a reasonable time with...

!) Couple of yachts (about $30m per pop).
!) Much larger house on a lot more land (another $20m).
!) Put the rest in the bank and live off the interest (remaining unspent interest at end of year going to charity).

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2004, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
I smell television movie.

Or even an Oscar grab by Kevin Spacey playing the beligerent millionaire drunk who learns a lesson about the meaning of "success" too late.

Cue the theme to "Arthur"...
Christopher Cross - New York City Serenade (Arthur's Theme)

Once in your life you find her
Someone that turns your heart around
And next thing you know you're closing down the town
Wake up and it's still with you
Even though you left her way across town
Wondering to yourself, "Hey, what've I found?"

When you get caught between the Moon and New York City
I know it's crazy, but it's true
If you get caught between the Moon and New York City
The best that you can do ......
The best that you can do is fall in love

Arthur he does as he pleases
All of his life, he's mastered choice
Deep in his heart, he's just, he's just a boy
Living his life one day at a time
And showing himself a really good time
Laughing about the way they want him to be

The best that you can do .....

The best that you can do .....

- Thomas Paine

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2004, 12:25 PM

Assume that $150 million will be lost to taxes.

Take $10 million, invest it in T-bonds, and live off of the interest for the rest of my life (some $500,000 per year, and no risk unless the government goes down, in which case I'd have bigger problems to worry about anyway). That's not to say that I'd quit my job, but it's one hell of a safety net to set up.

Take the other $140 million and offload it in large charitable donations, probably split with my wife into 14 parts (two my sole discretion, two her sole discretion, and ten mutually agreed upon). I can think of quite a few organizations who could use a $10 million shot in the arm.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2004, 12:27 PM

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Take $10 million, invest it in T-bonds, and live off of the interest for the rest of my life (some $500,000 per year, and no risk unless the government goes down, in which case I'd have bigger problems to worry about anyway).
Are those T-bonds inflation linked? 'Coz you know if not in 20 years' time your interest would be way way down, cramping your newly-gotten-used-to lifestyle.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2004, 01:31 PM

I'll tell everyone what...

If I win the Lotto here in Florida I'll give everyone here $20K.

I figure that's about 50 people (the ones I like.) So what, it's about a million bucks.

I'll take my cut right away and continue living the same way I do and that means that I'll have big bucks to be frivolous with.

I've always wanted to pull an Oprah and just say,

Everyone gets a new car!

( Last edited by Cody Dawg; Dec 2, 2004 at 01:38 PM. )

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2004, 04:29 PM

I'll give everyone here $20K.
Heh, that'd be two semesters of tuition. Enough to get the minor is psychology I would get if I had the money for the extra time it'd take.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules