Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini software package

Mac Mini software package
lklarson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 03:29 PM

Well, I thoroughly hosed myself by setting a resolution on my Mini that my Sharp Aquos 45" (LC-45GX6U) couldn't deal with, and had to reinstall everything. To my surprise, when I did a complete erase and restore from the CD in the box, it did NOT install Appleworks. I am pretty sure it was on the drive when I first started the Mini up. Also, mine (BTO ordered on the 12th) did not come with iLife 05 preinstalled. There was a seperate iLife 05 DVD in the box, which I used to upgrade. The Mini drives the Sharp beautifully via DVI, BTW, and even sounds pretty decent through the built in speakers on the bottom of the TV screen. Speaking of sound, watch the 5 second commercials at http://www.cadillacunder5.com. They will make you want one of those things, even if you are young (like me).

insha
Senior User
Feb 11, 2005, 11:09 PM

iLife 05 was released after the Mac mini software disk image went to gold mater. That is why they added the DVD for iLife 05 separately.

Also Apple Works should be on the restore disks and there might be a way to install it, but I had never had to restore from the original CDs, so I'm not sure how you will be able to do just that. Go ahead and check out Apple's support site, this site (in the Mac OS forum), and the Mac OS X Hints sites.

And no the 5 sec commercial did not do anything for me... : I want me five seconds back.

realitybath
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2005, 09:01 AM

Anyways, this morning when i went to grind beans for coffee, I unplugged the toaster so i could plug in the grinder... made the coffee, mmm,mmm good, and when i went to butter the bagel i had been toasting, the bagel was NOT toasted!!!

I had to wait another minute, by which time my coffee was no longer at its optimal hotness

lklarson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 09:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by insha:
[B]I want me five seconds back.

Here ya go.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 12, 2005, 01:07 PM

Running the Mac OS X installer -- surprise! -- installs Mac OS X. AppleWorks, etc are not part of Mac OS X. The same disc also is a restore disc. Put it in again (not booted from it) and run the "Restore Applications" (or whatever Apple decided to call it this month) to reinstall the apps.

tooki

lklarson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Running the Mac OS X installer -- surprise! -- installs Mac OS X. AppleWorks, etc are not part of Mac OS X. The same disc also is a restore disc. Put it in again (not booted from it) and run the "Restore Applications" (or whatever Apple decided to call it this month) to reinstall the apps.

tooki
Didn't run the OSX Installer, ran the mini restore, as I said. The point is, the mini drives ship with AW6 installed, but the restore DVD, which installs the OS, iApps _and_ third party (Quicken, Exploder, Games, etc.) apps, doesn't include AW. Not an issue for me, I installed from an AW CD, but it makes one wonder if they were thinking "Pages" when the DVD went to press.

jcain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by lklarson:
Didn't run the OSX Installer, ran the mini restore, as I said. The point is, the mini drives ship with AW6 installed, but the restore DVD, which installs the OS, iApps _and_ third party (Quicken, Exploder, Games, etc.) apps, doesn't include AW. Not an issue for me, I installed from an AW CD, but it makes one wonder if they were thinking "Pages" when the DVD went to press.
It's on the restore disk, although I think it may not be selected by default. I did a format and re-install when I first got my Mini, and when I clicked the 'Customize' button during the install there was an option for 'AppleWorks English'. I picked that, and it installed AppleWorks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules