Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Graphics Card Question

Graphics Card Question
Applefreak01
Senior User
Feb 13, 2005, 11:36 PM

Not sure if this has been asked before. My search on the subject takes forever and never finishes. Anyway. I have a birthday coming up. Now's as good as any time to get myself a new Power Mac G5. I'm getting the 1.6GHz. I don't need dual processors for what I do I just want more options on upgrades. One thing that I've wondering is can I gut out my PC and use the FXF Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256MB in my new Power Mac? I know that video card have to have the mac bios flashed on them, but according to Nvidia's web page under supported OSes they listed Mac OS X.

I play WoW (World of Warcraft) on my PC and if my nvidia card can be used in my Mac I'll sure be playing it on my Mac.

I've tried a google search for flashing a nvidia 6800GT but couldn't find anything so makes me wonder if it needs it at all. Can I just put the card in and have it work?
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2005, 12:01 AM

The Powermac has a AGP-Pro slot, not a standard one. So, unless you know someone who is an electrical engineer, no.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2005, 12:01 AM

I have never heard of a graphics card for the PC working automatically, without modification, in a Mac. At the very least you would have to flash it, but I have not heard of anyone doing that with recent cards.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Feb 14, 2005, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by Zubir:
The Powermac has a AGP-Pro slot, not a standard one. So, unless you know someone who is an electrical engineer, no.
My card is AGP Pro.

BigMac: Yeah I was affaird of that. Oh well. Maybe I'll just pay a few extra for the 9600XT BTO option.
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:
My card is AGP Pro.

BigMac: Yeah I was affaird of that. Oh well. Maybe I'll just pay a few extra for the 9600XT BTO option.
thats what i did and i've been happy with wow, call of duty, and ut2k4.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Feb 14, 2005, 01:41 AM

Thanks Mafia. I'm so sick of my windows pc crashing while playing wow and just doing whatever period. I'd run wow on my iBook but it's so slow and I really don't need a laptop as I don't travel much. So I'm thinking of selling both and getting the Power Mac.

yikes600
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 01:33 PM

The only guys who might be able to help you out are at this forum
www.strangedogs.com
No one's attempted flashing a 6800 yet, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules