Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hunter S. Thompson 1937-2005 :-(

Hunter S. Thompson 1937-2005 :-(
d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 12:45 AM

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../obit_thompson

must have been reading hemingway lately.

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2005, 12:51 AM

Wow, we almost simulposted this- you beat me by a nose.

Here's hoping they build a giant two thumbed gonzo fist and launch his ashes from it in a missile, like he wanted.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

d4nth3m4n  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 12:55 AM

i'll drink to that.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 01:14 AM

Originally posted by killer_735:
Wow, we almost simulposted this- you beat me by a nose.

Here's hoping they build a giant two thumbed gonzo fist and launch his ashes from it in a missile, like he wanted.
That just cheered me up.

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Feb 21, 2005, 01:17 AM

Sounds like a man who hated this life enough to finally punch his own ticket out.

Not someone this plane of existence will miss.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by The Oracle:
Sounds like a man who hated this life enough to finally punch his own ticket out.

You're on the wrong plane of existence then...

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2005, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by The Oracle:

You swine, you're DEA, I knew it!
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 01:42 AM

Awww, man. That's a shame. Not terribly shocking, but a shame none the less. Always had a love-hate relationship with Thompson's writings. I disagreed with much of what he stood for, but loved reading it and watching his occasional surfacing in the news. Too bad. The world needs more Gonzo journalism.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

nathancunningham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 01:44 AM

I am sad. Hunter S. Thompson was one of my favorite authors, he certainly had a way. My favorite quote (from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, describing the 60's):

"Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a main era - the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run, but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - the place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." -HST

rest in peace

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 01:50 AM

Originally posted by nathancunningham:
I am sad. Hunter S. Thompson was one of my favorite authors, he certainly had a way. My favorite quote (from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, describing the 60's):

"Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a main era - the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run, but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - the place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." -HST

rest in peace
That's my fav quote as well; great stuff.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2005, 01:54 AM

I always wonder what's going through a persons mind when they commit suicide... Scary stuff...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2005, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I always wonder what's going through a persons mind when they commit suicide.
A bullet actually.

Funny, I had read his recent stuff at espn.com here and there but I did read his last column, his last column ever it seems. A conversation with Bill Murray about golf, Japan and shotgun golf.

Oddly enough, Bill had the last word in the column.

Best line in recent years was talking about Dubya's first election win, how he knew Bush was going to get Florida "from the glint in his father's eye, that type of glint a wolf shows right before it pounces on a lamb" or words to that extent.

RIP seems inappropriate, so I'll just say later dude.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 03:16 AM

Quite a bummer.

Then again, I would have hated seeing him dwindle into nothing for decades like Bob Hope. I suspect Hunter always knew he wasn't gonna go out like that. Just happened a lot earlier than I would have thought. He seemed pretty healthy all things considered.

Won't ever be another like him.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 03:29 AM

Rest In Peace, Hunter.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 03:31 AM

Very sad, but not shocking. Hunter spent so much time on the edge that he finally just had to step off it.
Gonna miss him.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

MadBrowser
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2005, 03:42 AM

Such a bummer.

'Fear and Loathing' is a great piece of work. I've been reading his ESPN column and thinking it was amazing they were publishing his stuff.

Man. Such a bummer.

A lot of the reason I do my Vegas site is Thompson... And my name is Hunter too... Bummer.

realitybath
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2005, 04:13 AM

Suckage. The Great Shark Hunt was the first 'book' of his I read and god it was good. The one thing that really struck me about him is that he looked like a complete regular joe (nah, truthfully he looked like a dull man) in pictures.

Reading TGSH was funnier because of that. I'd be reading through laughing, and then close it and see that cover and it would make me start laughing again. Looked like a marriage between scary-normal and ultra-freak.

Haha, hard-ass NRA aesthetics, a cigarette holder, short shorts, and the dainty way he's holding that cig. And a vicious insight. F he was funny.

I've gotta read another one of his books/collections.

edit: that washington post endorsement is so lame.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 06:46 AM

"We'd be fools not to ride this strange torpedo to the end."

I'll miss his voice, too

J

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2005, 09:41 AM

FYI, espn.com's Page 2 just posted their memorial to him along with a page linking everyone of his ESPN columns. Some good stuff (a few misses as well but you gotta take the bad with the good).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2005, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I always wonder what's going through a persons mind when they commit suicide... Scary stuff...
in that instance, a slug, "and it was bound to alter his state of mind".

I've been there before. It's a very dark and lonely place, and the pistol starts talking to you, singing like a lover. "Take one and we'll clean you up in the morning".

G'bye Hunter. I enjoyed your stuff, you sick bastard.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 11:02 AM

Oh this twisted, crusty and arrogant man will be missed. Godspeed, man
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 11:55 AM

A very sad situation. My he now finally find that peace he sought. My prayers are with his family and friends.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 01:22 PM

That really sucks man. I loved his writing so much. If it weren't for him i probably wouldn't have ever tried acid so many times.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 21, 2005, 01:39 PM

Years ago I read that he had a date all picked out to kill himself. I wonder if this was actually it. Catch you later Dr. G.
Nemo me impune lacesset

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 05:59 PM

Wow, I just found out about this. What a GD tragedy.
I can't believe it, but somehow I'm not surprised.
Damn I'm gonna miss him.

RIP HST

a Man On The Move

ringo
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 06:56 PM

Damn.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 10:27 PM

my dad's aunt actually dated hunter. and she was the executive producer of fear and loathing in las vegas. when i was 3 or 4 we were supposed to have thanksgiving at his ranch but he was having too much trouble with drugs at the time. last year i went out to la to visit my second aunt and actually had lunch with hunter. nice guy and he signed a copy of his book for me. maybe you can figure out what he meant by what he wrote:

http://www.mafia-designs.com/images/DSC00714.JPG
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2005, 11:24 PM

my boss knew him because they lived in the same town in Aspen

he said he was a true weirdo because of all the shyt he did. but very amusing and talented too.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2005, 01:55 AM

"thanks for killing that whore-beast in New Orleans"?!?!?!?!?!

That is amazing. I believe you're supposed to make up an Easy Rider -esque story to go along with the signature.

I recommend beginning the story with "...so there we were in the Congo..." and have it end with the infamous slaying of the New Orleans whore-beast we have all heard so much about.

That is priceless, man. Priceless.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2005, 03:00 AM

Well, sh�t.

beb
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 09:25 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules