Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Logic board repair question

Logic board repair question
Applefreak01
Senior User
Mar 5, 2005, 12:28 AM

Ok so I was using my iBook that I got in August of last year and all of sudden I get the symptoms of the iBook logic board probelm. My screem flickered then crashed my iBook. Now I have no video unless the monitor is positioned just right and I don't bump the iBook.

So my question is will Apple take my iBook even though it's warrenty has expired and I didn't renew it? I'll call them on monday and see if they'll take it, but I was wondering if anyone who didn't have AppleCare and had the logic board probelm was able to have Apple fix it. On the logic board repair web page they say coverage is good 3 years from the date you bought it or March 18, 2005 which ever provides the longest coverage nothing about needing it under warrenty.

I hope they will, just wanted to ask and see if anyone has been in the same boat as me.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 5, 2005, 09:43 AM

It's my impression that your "unless the monitor is positioned just right" issue is NOT the logic board problem. Logic board problems don't seem to have anything to do with the position of your LCD exclusive of the other major symptoms, which you didn't mention.

Your computer is less than a year old, so it's under warranty-call Apple and get the problem (probably a cable between the LCD and the logic board) fixed.

Edit: fixed my wording-English is difficult sometimes. Also fixed the double post with the quote. Dunno how I did that...
( Last edited by ghporter; Mar 5, 2005 at 07:51 PM. )

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Mar 5, 2005, 01:43 PM

Well it did work with the LCD in just the right spot. Now I got no video at all no matter what. So I do belive it is the logic board problem.
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Mar 5, 2005, 02:35 PM

Just got off the phone with Apple. They'll take it no problem. He did say I was out of phone support time but that he'd let me tell him what was going on and we'd go from there.

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2005, 11:23 PM

It could also be the cable that connects the logic board to the display. If it gets pinched, it could leave you with a flickering display that then cuts out completely. Or it could be the logic board, like you've guessed. I've just had my 5th logic board go out over two G3 iBooks. Looks like I'm waiting on another repair. This sucks.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2005, 03:41 AM

Sorry to hear that, druber. Hey, am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that Apple only provides 90 days of technical support?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2005, 10:36 PM

The thing you need to check: connect an external display. Do you see anything? If yes, you don't have the logic board issue, and it will not be covered. If no, you have the logic board issue, and it will be covered.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Mar 10, 2005, 05:23 AM

No video on a external display either so it is the logic board problem. Thanks.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2005, 12:04 AM

Works like a charm. I don't even worry about what type of issues I see on the screen any more. The first thing I do (on any all-in-one) is plug up an external display to see if it is repeated. I have been surprised at how many bad video chips there are.

Even more surprising is that there are odd video issues that only show up on the internal display that are still caused by the logic board (few and far between, but common on G4 iMacs... at least I know what they look like now).
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules