Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 23" ACD or DVI Display for PowerBook

23" ACD or DVI Display for PowerBook
B_2
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2005, 10:13 AM

Ok People

If you could hook up your powerbooks to an external display which would you choose.

23" DVI Al Display or the 23" ACD Clear Display

The 23" clear is the following model number M8537ZM.

Thank You.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2005, 11:38 AM

I currently have my 12er hooked up to a 23" DVI Al display. I had the ACD clear display set-up before as well. Personally I perfer the DVI Al display because of the direct DVI connection. It also matches the Al PBs!!! Another reason why I like the DVI display is that it takes up a smaller footprint on your desk. The clear display is nice, but keep in mind that you need to get the ACD-DVI adapter to connect to your PB.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

B_2  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2005, 12:27 PM

The only problem i see with getting the 23" DVI Display is regarding the Powerbrick which will have to be placed on the desk.

The ACD-DVI adapter looks as if it can be placed on the floor. Yep the clear 23 is huge but i have a large oak table 1.5metres by 0.85metres.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2005, 12:30 PM

It's a trade-off either way of having the brick on your desk or the adapter on the floor. With some creative arrangement, you can hide the power brick.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display

ghostgrrl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2005, 05:43 PM

///Milien:

I've posted this question on several forums, but haven't gotten much in terms of answers. I also have the same set-up as you: 12" AlBook 1.5, the only difference being that I have the BTO 100gb hard drive. I was wondering how well the 12" does being hooked up to the 23" ACD's. With its 64mb VRAM, do you experience any sort of lag or stutter when you use such a large display? And how hot does your PB run when connected to the ACD? Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.

Originally posted by ///Milien:
It's a trade-off either way of having the brick on your desk or the adapter on the floor. With some creative arrangement, you can hide the power brick.

ibook_steve
Mar 12, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by ghostgrrl:
///Milien:

I've posted this question on several forums, but haven't gotten much in terms of answers. I also have the same set-up as you: 12" AlBook 1.5, the only difference being that I have the BTO 100gb hard drive. I was wondering how well the 12" does being hooked up to the 23" ACD's. With its 64mb VRAM, do you experience any sort of lag or stutter when you use such a large display? And how hot does your PB run when connected to the ACD? Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.
All Powerbooks are designed to work with all Apple displays except for the 30", which is only fully utilized with the most recent machines. Limited VRAM would not cause lag or stutter. 64 MB is more than enough to drive those resolutions. The only time limited VRAM would come into play would be during 3d games or intense graphics operations. Normal Finder and other applications will work fine. As far as heat is concerned, the machine does get slightly hotter when driving the large displays. It shouldn't be an issue since it would be sitting on a desk and not on your lap. I've never had any problems.

Steve

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2005, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
All Powerbooks are designed to work with all Apple displays except for the 30", which is only fully utilized with the most recent machines. Limited VRAM would not cause lag or stutter. 64 MB is more than enough to drive those resolutions. The only time limited VRAM would come into play would be during 3d games or intense graphics operations. Normal Finder and other applications will work fine. As far as heat is concerned, the machine does get slightly hotter when driving the large displays. It shouldn't be an issue since it would be sitting on a desk and not on your lap. I've never had any problems.

Steve
I couldn't have said it any better. I do find it that my Rev. D runs cooler than the Rev. B I had, but then again I upgraded the drive to a 60GB 7200 RPM drive. I never had a problem with the VRAM because I don't really play any games on my PowerBook. The only time I ever hear the fan come on is when the screensaver I have is running in the background. It's the Aquarium screensaver.

Personally I love the combination of the 23 ACD with my 12 PB. When I am travelling, I mainly use it for email, net and the iLife applications. When I am at the office and using Adobe, Keynote 2 et al then having the 23 connected is great.

Mainly only adjustment is going from my 30 ACD at home to the 23 ACD at the office. The difference in size is huge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules