Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > network to pc or other mac

network to pc or other mac
Mr. Chumley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 01:03 PM

I'm new to macs and am having trouble getting my pc and iMac to play nice. I would like to be able to share files with my pc but no luck so far. My pc which is connected to my printer is hooked up (by wire) to a wireless router. My mac is in a different room connected wirelessly to the router. Is it possible to share files and print from my mac. I can ping the mac from my pc but cant get them to talk. I have managed to get the printer to recognize the mac but all i get when I try and print is garbage.

I have a chance at buying an olde apple (g3 I think) from work. Would I be better of buying that and replacing my pc? I just want to use it or the pc as a back up and transfer files back and forth.

scoop417
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2005, 01:44 PM

Try this: In Finder, go to the Go menu and select Connect to Server. You may see the PC there, or you can Browse for it, or try typing in this:

smb://PCNAME/SharedDocs (where PCNAME is the name of your PC)

That works for me when I want to access to the SharedDocs folder on my wife's PC. We're both on a wireless connection, but I'm not sure that should matter.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by Mr. Chumley
I'm new to macs and am having trouble getting my pc and iMac to play nice. I would like to be able to share files with my pc but no luck so far. My pc which is connected to my printer is hooked up (by wire) to a wireless router. My mac is in a different room connected wirelessly to the router. Is it possible to share files and print from my mac. I can ping the mac from my pc but cant get them to talk. I have managed to get the printer to recognize the mac but all i get when I try and print is garbage.

I have a chance at buying an olde apple (g3 I think) from work. Would I be better of buying that and replacing my pc? I just want to use it or the pc as a back up and transfer files back and forth.
12" PowerBook G4, 1.5GHz, 1.25GB RAM, 100GB drive
20" iMac G5 (iSight) w/1.5GB RAM and Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
4GB white nano.
15GB white 3G iPod.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 29, 2005, 03:57 PM

1. Network questions belong in the Networking forum. The iMac forum is for discussing iMacs.

2. This subject is the topic of countless threads on this and other forums, as well as whole websites.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules