Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Best Game for PSP

Best Game for PSP
papadopolis
Forum Regular
May 3, 2007, 10:52 PM

I just got a PSP (well Its in the mail) and I was wondering what the best game(s) for it is(are). I plan to get Burnout legends (I have played it before and it was great) but any others would be great and what size memory is best for it?

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
May 3, 2007, 11:45 PM

Killzone Liberations, both GTAs, Daxter, Lumines, Ratchet and Clank, Metal Gear Solid: PO, Wipeout, Loco Roco, etc...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2007, 11:47 PM

You're operating under the assumption that there's actually a good game for PSP.

Honestly...
Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters
MLB '07: The Show
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee
Daxter
And finally, Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
( Last edited by Jawbone54; May 4, 2007 at 12:06 AM. )

papadopolis  (op)
Forum Regular
May 4, 2007, 12:14 AM

There are so many mixed feeling on the PSP when I played it at my friends house it was great. I also own a DS so all those people who say get a DS I already have one and its fun but all the games feel like mini games.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2007, 05:55 AM

My fav. game is Lumines.. recently purchased Lumines II, but hey I'm a puzzle freak..

Ghouls and Ghosts is a good game if you're a fan of that genre.. but again, I guess at heart I'm a retro whore..

The more people I meet, the more I love dogs...
Women aren't stupid........................ men are ;)

highstakes
Senior User
May 5, 2007, 11:39 AM

Metal Gear Acid has a pretty decent story, once you get past the card-based gameplay.

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
May 5, 2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by papadopolis View Post
There are so many mixed feeling on the PSP when I played it at my friends house it was great. I also own a DS so all those people who say get a DS I already have one and its fun but all the games feel like mini games.
Hmm... try these.
  • Mario Kart DS
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
  • Hotel Dusk: Room 215
  • Elite Beat Agents
  • Animal Crossing: Wild World
  • Brain Age
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • Castlevania Games

Or you could pretty much look through this. That could be of some help.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2007, 06:21 PM

I'm a big PSP fan. There are lots of great games for the system, but then again there are a lot of mediocre ones too. And it really depends on what kind of games you like (what genres, etc). But here are some recommendations from my own collection:

Racing:
Burnout Legends - You have already mentioned this, but it's a great game with lots to do and it's cheap.
Wipeout Pure - Great version of the Wipeout series and great music.
Ridge Racer - Good version of this classic series.

Action/Platforming:
Daxter - Just great, and cheap now that it's a greatest hits title.
Lego Star Wars II - Compares very favorably to the PS2 version of the game. Very good for Star Wars fans. Lots of unlockables.
Gurumin - Very good action game with RPG elements and a good sense of humor. Only $19.99 at Gamestop/EB Games now.
Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins - Probably best for people who remember the original games. The graphics are great, but the controls haven't been updated, which makes it kind of frustrating.

Puzzle:
Puzzle Quest - Very addictive combination of Bejeweled and and an RPG (read some reviews if that doesn't make sense).
Exit - A good overlooked puzzle game that can be had cheaply if you can find it.
Lumines - I recommend this over Lumines II, since the songs are better overall and it doesn't have the annoying videos playing behind the action. Terribly addicting.
Every Extend Extra - A bit more of an acquired taste than Lumines, but still very good.
Gunpey - From the makers of Every Extend Extra and Lumines, and can be had for $9.99 at many Best Buys - it's stocked with the bargain games by the cash registers.
LocoRoco - Full of personality. It's actually fairly challenging if you want to find all of the hidden things.
Me and My Katamari - Quirky game where you have to make as big a "ball" of stuff as possible, rolling up everything from pieces of candy to cows, people, and eventually entire buildings. The controls are a little hard to get used to.

Open World/Sandbox Games:
Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories - I'd probably recommend this one over Vice City Stories since it's cheaper and they are fairly similar. But they're both good.

Shooter/Beat-em Up:
Killzone: Liberation - Very good original shooter, although sometimes a bit frustrating in terms of its difficulty.
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror - Very impressive third-person shooter, and cheap now that it's a greatest hit.
X-men Legends 2/Marvel Ultimate Alliance - Not fantastic, but very solid versions of these games. If you like Marvel comics, you'll like these.
Pursuit Force - Like an over-the-top action movie, where you jump from car to car shooting people.
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max - Near perfect port of the arcade game.

Action RPG:
Untold Legends 1 & 2: These are fairly generic, but reasonably good.
Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony - Same as above.

In my opinion, the main area where the PSP game library is lacking is in traditional RPGs. Most of the ones released so far have been ports of games that were mediocre to begin with. I guess Ys: The Ark of Napishtim and Kingdom of Paradise are fairly good. But in the next few months we're going to see some amazing stuff coming, like:

Final Fantasy 1 / Final Fantasy 2 - Redone with improved graphics and sound)
Final Fantasy Tactics - With new animated cut scenes and a brand new translation.
Disgaea - I have the Japanese version of this and it's great, if you like this kind of game.

I'm also looking forward to the Oblivion game that's coming out for the PSP, but I know so little about it that I can't really say what it'll be like. Anyway, there are certainly more good games out there that I don't own yet, but at least this gives you a taste. Don't listen to the naysayers who'll tell you that the PSP has no good games. Oh, and I don't really play sports games, so I'll have to leave that to someone else.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2007, 09:49 PM

Liking the PSP I sent you eh? Loving the Xbox!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2007, 10:21 PM

Most involving game-play:
- GTA: Liberty City Stories
- Loco Roco
Unfortunately, neither took too long to finish and lost their interest.

Games that get played the most by me:
- Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee
- Need for Speed: Underground Rivals
These two games go everywhere that my PSP goes; I've been playing both for over a year.

Game not to get:
- Super Monkey Ball Adventure: interesting game, but some of the levels are difficult bordering on impossible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules