Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Alternative to Quicken

Alternative to Quicken
NDBounce
Senior User
Jul 5, 2007, 09:23 PM

I am looking for an alternative to Quicken. I am currently using Quicken 2007 and lately it has been running really really slow (and taking over 15 seconds to quit).

I was wondering if there is another program that will function similarly. FWIW I do a fair amount of stock trades. I really only use this to monitor my finances. I am not printing a lot of reports or using the quicken insights, etc.

I am running a Powerbook G4, 1.5GHz, 1 GB Ram, OS X.4.9

Thank you,

O
B unce!

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2007, 09:51 PM

There was a about this same subject a month or two ago...check it out and let us know if you need anything else.

freudling
Banned
Jul 7, 2007, 02:01 AM

Forget all of them. I came across an excellent post from a London Accountant.

Essentially, he made very valid points about marginal cost to marginal benefit ratios. How much time will you spend learning the accounting software? How useful will it be to you? How many features do you not need?

If you are like most, you won't need several features of any of the many accounting programs out there.

Accounting software is essentially shoe box software. Do yourself a favor, and custom up something in Excel or Pages just for you. It is simple and you won't have a bunch of crap that you don't need. I use pages with the spreadsheet formulas in Tables. Landscape page orientation, with numerous pages, each of which is a new month. Use the page thumbnails on the left to navigate to the different months.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2007, 11:53 AM

I use Excel to manage my investments but Quicken 2007 on Windows is sweet. A shame we don't have anything similar on the Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules