Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > remap fn keys on MBP?

remap fn keys on MBP?
NDBounce
Senior User
Mar 9, 2008, 06:47 PM

I have a new low end MacBook Pro. I am upgrading from a Powerbook G4. I have become mildly annoyed that Apple changed the f keys (I don't know if this is new to the March revision, or when). I have become quite accustomed to using the following f keys:

1&2 - Dim and Brighten the display
3-5 - mute, decrease and increase volume
8-10 - control the keyboard lighting
f12 - Dashboard.

The new arrangement rearranges these keys (volume is now f10-12, f5&6 do keyboard lighting, etc). Is there any way to remap these keys, so that I can have the volume where it is on my old powerbook, or does the old dog need to learn a new trick?

Thank you,

O
B unce!

tridentinecanon
Mar 20, 2008, 07:15 PM

The keys on my 17" 2.4 are as you described as the old arrangement. Guess they've updated since?

Try this: DoubleCommand

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2008, 07:33 PM

Go to System Preferences>Keyboard and Mouse>Keyboard and invert the way the function key works, so that you have to press fn to use the F keys as their icons indicate. Then pressing F9, 10, 11 and 12 (if you have those keys assigned in the Exposé preferences) will work as before.

NDBounce  (op)
Senior User
Mar 21, 2008, 12:38 PM

JKT - That is not quite what I am looking to do. I am looking to reasing the functions. I want f3-5 to be my volume keys. What you suggest will not do this.

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2008, 12:53 PM

Apologies (I've developed a bad habit of not reading all the way through posts before answering!).

tridentinecanon
Mar 21, 2008, 03:37 PM

NDBounce- Did DoubleCommand work? If not, it may be worthwhile to email the developer and see if this is a feature they would be interested in including in their software.

Forum Links
Forum Rules