Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What happens when someone sends an MMS to iPhone?

What happens when someone sends an MMS to iPhone?
NDBounce
Senior User
Oct 27, 2008, 12:05 PM

I have a new 3G iPhone. I am wondering what (if anything) is supposed to happen when someone sends me an MMS. I have heard rumor that I should receive an SMS text telling me to go to some AT&T site where I can view the message. Is this true. Can someone confirm this for me. My phone definitely does not do this, which is frustrating b/c it means that if someone sends me an MMS I have no way of knowing that someone tried to contact me.

Thank you,

O
B unce!

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2008, 05:11 PM

You get a text sending you to www.viewmymessage.com with a login name and password to view the message, which does work on mobile Safari.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
You get a text sending you to www.viewmymessage.com with a login name and password to view the message, which does work on mobile Safari.
Doesn't work on Mobile Safari ?

Now THAT's retarded.

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 06:22 PM

"does" != "doesn't"

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Doesn't work on Mobile Safari ?

Now THAT's retarded.

-t
MIght want to re-read that

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2008, 01:13 PM

I classic Freudian eye-slip.

-t

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2008, 04:08 PM

I have gotten the link to that site before when people have MMSed me, but without copy/paste it was really annoying to enter the password and so I don't bother.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I have gotten the link to that site before when people have MMSed me, but without copy/paste it was really annoying to enter the password and so I don't bother.
It's a PITA unless you're at a computer and can view it that way.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2008, 07:02 PM

On a second thouhgh, I still think it's absolutely retarded.

-t

trevorep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2008, 01:18 PM

If at&t weren't so stupid they would send a text message that had the username and password encoded in the url. Just tap the link, shows your message, it would be EASY.

Or better yet... HEY APPLE FIX THIS! Most FREE phones that every company gives away can send and receive picture messages why can't my $300 phone?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by trevorep View Post
If at&t weren't so stupid they would send a text message that had the username and password encoded in the url. Just tap the link, shows your message, it would be EASY.

Or better yet... HEY APPLE FIX THIS! Most FREE phones that every company gives away can send and receive picture messages why can't my $300 phone?
Apple will just say that that's why there is Mail on the Phone. To which I'll reply, "well, allow me to send more than one pic at a time when I send an email then."

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2008, 02:26 PM

How does this work on normal phones? I haven't ever sent an MMS nor have I ever received one on any phone I have ever owned, in over 6 years. There is plenty of far more important stuff for Apple to fix on the iPhone than adding MMS. Not that I would have any objection to them adding support for it, I would just rather that they focused on getting things like stability and user-design right for the apps the vast majority of iPhone owners are going to use 99% of the time, rather than one that would be used a mere fraction of a percentage of the time. MMS is simply not a priority.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2008, 02:40 PM

On normal phones (IF you have MMS servicing switched on), you have whatever you wish to send, and in the context menu, there is the "Send..." command, which then gives you the options of "MMS", "Bluetooth", "IrDA", or "Email", whatever. Received MMS will show up just like an SMS, and it will show the contents as soon as you click on it.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2008, 04:50 PM

MMS allows for images, sound, and video to be sent in a text message.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 30, 2008, 09:22 PM

Considering that MMS basically is email behind the scenes, it's a disgrace that Apple and the carriers haven't figured out how to have the iPhone link your email address (which you already have set up on the phone!) to the MMS system so that MMSs will at least come in as email!

That said, it just can't be that hard for Apple to write an MMS app.

And the fact that the ATT viewmymessage nonsense doesn't work is even more ridiculous. What's even worse is that that site does browser sniffing, and if it sees IE, it sends a page that could be viewed on the iPhone!!! (On all non-IE browsers, it sends a horrible, horrible Flash page. For IE, it sends HTML.)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2008, 10:44 PM

Another vote for retarded.

Oh wait, I already voted. Ah well, this is the year of voter fraud anyways.

-t

niji
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2008, 07:06 AM

[QUOTE=tooki;3752331]Considering that MMS basically is email behind the scenes, it's a disgrace...

you are wrong.

MMS is not email.

There are (and have been for several years, other than, and earlier than the iPhone) mobile fons that have MMS and email clients. On other mobiles MMS is completely (end to end) accomplished through telephony. nothing to do with email ala internet whatsoever. On the mobiles I have mentioned you can also choose to send an email over the net (actually from a mobile data connection (telephony) to an internet connection and then down again to a mobile data connection).

thats why apple hasnt and wont implement MMS on the iPhone.

it is clear to me that apple does not wish to play into the hands of the wireless mobile carriers and give them more revenue. he wants to build on standard internet connections. and as well, use similar componentry as possible between the iPhone and the iPod Touch.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2008, 07:20 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multime...saging_Service

Apparently, the method used to code the multimedia attachments into the MMS is a subset of the MIME E-mail attachment protocol.

Message delivery itself, however, is an extension of SMS and has nothing to do with e-mail delivery protocols.

Forum Links
Forum Rules