Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2 Preview is a slug...

10.2 Preview is a slug... (Page 2)
Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 12, 2002, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
<STRONG>

Hmm... interesting. I have supported hardware (G4 733 with GeForce 2) and its just as slow as 10.1 and no flickering. Did you install it on its own blank parition or upgrade? What video card do you have? Thanks in advance!</STRONG>
I installed it on its own blank partition. The flickering is not Jaguar's fault, it's partially mine, partially Apple's. I have a 2x AGP and I put a GF3 in there so I don't think the computer likes that very much. However, Apple *should* support this and it doesn't make any sense why a GF3 shouldn't work in a 2x AGP (works in 1x AGP on the PC side).

lenz
May 12, 2002, 04:48 AM

no offense but some of you people really need to get a life insulting the originator of this thread like that. The poor guy keeps repeating himself and no one seems to be listening. His point is to counter act the hype that alot of these so called "pirates" are saying about Jaguar. Some people really need to get out more, getting all offensive just because some guy is just speaking about his observations on the new OS!!!

By the way, a definite way to tell if you have OS X.2 WWDC is by checking quicktime. Earlier builds did not have QT6.[/LIST][/LIST]

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2002, 06:11 AM

Originally posted by lenz:
<STRONG>no offense but some of you people really need to get a life insulting the originator of this thread like that.</STRONG>
How is that supposed to be "not offensive"?

piracy
Mac Elite
May 12, 2002, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by lenz:
<STRONG>no offense but some of you people really need to get a life insulting the originator of this thread like that. The poor guy keeps repeating himself and no one seems to be listening. His point is to counter act the hype that alot of these so called "pirates" are saying about Jaguar. Some people really need to get out more, getting all offensive just because some guy is just speaking about his observations on the new OS!!!

By the way, a definite way to tell if you have OS X.2 WWDC is by checking quicktime. Earlier builds did not have QT6.[/LIST][/LIST]</STRONG>
No, the definite way, you dumbass, to tell if you have the WWDC build is to LOOK AT THE FREAKING BUILD NUMBER. It will be "6C35".

Best regards.

Peabo  (op)
Senior User
May 12, 2002, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
<STRONG>

No, the definite way, you dumbass, to tell if you have the WWDC build is to LOOK AT THE FREAKING BUILD NUMBER. It will be "6C35".

Best regards.</STRONG>
I do have 6C35, silly-billy.... why not actually read my posts
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

piracy
Mac Elite
May 12, 2002, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by z0ne81:
<STRONG>I do have 6C35, silly-billy.... why not actually read my posts</STRONG>
I wasn't talking to you. I was taking to lenz. Why not actually read *my* posts.

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: piracy ]

Peabo  (op)
Senior User
May 12, 2002, 03:00 PM

<STRONG>

I wasn't talking to you. I was taking to lenz. Why not actually read *my* posts.

[ 05-12-2002: Message edited by: piracy ]</STRONG>
Oh, I thought you were implying that I had 6B11 again
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

mikerally
Senior User
May 12, 2002, 06:47 PM

Ugh, good grief.

Right, I really don't have any clue what this guy is out to prove, but I'm going to say this:

I own an Indigo iBook 366Mhz, with 320MB of RAM.

Which until recently, I had Mac OS X v10.1.4 installed.
This weekend, I downloaded an illegal copy of Jaguar.

Here were my findings:

-Like most other people who downloaded and installed this pirate, I found an actually increase in speed (although not by very much, but enough to notice) - and no this is NOT a placebo effect, this is ACTUALLY noticeable - so I entirely DISAGREE with the person who started this thread because my personal findings are completely different.

-The build is very, very nice, not quite complete, and quite buggy in many places, although the bugs are not to severe. I understand there is a long way to go, but I found trying this build out was a pleasant experience.

-There are a few features that Apple haven't mentioned on their site, this is most likely if Apple wants to change them or remove them before the final is released. As of this build, the only real feature that I can notice is missing from Mac OS 9 is Finder Labels (Printer Sharing and Airport Software Basestation is there), anything else left out from Mac OS 9 would be really minor and is unlikely to make it to Mac OS X, ever.

I'm not judging Apple or this build, I'm just merely stating what's there, and this is what people want to know. My own personal experience of using this build does make me feel as if I'd prefer to run this other than any 10.1.x build, but realistically it's too buggy and incomplete for everyday use (which is a fair statement, it's pre-alpha).

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2002, 06:59 PM

If you get a pirate copy of 10.2 and it doesn't work then it is your own fault

cacarr1
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2002, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by theory:
<STRONG>If you get a pirate copy of 10.2 and it doesn't work then it is your own fault

</STRONG>
Whoa...
how the hell did ya think if that one!?
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

sderaj
May 12, 2002, 10:20 PM

<STRONG>Exactly, I'm sure there is better multitasking and such but the whole point of Quartz Extreme was to make the UI smooth as silk right? It's uhhh....not working.</STRONG>
Ever think Apple cripples the developer releases they seed to external developers on purpose? "Now why would they do that? That is just a crime!" well, for one to slow down piracy, two so they will not be in the wrong hands and use it as their default OS, and then write bad "press" about it... I could name more reasons but I should not have to

Drizzt
Mac Elite
May 12, 2002, 11:08 PM

<STRONG>What about resizing? get a window with 10 or more icons in it, set them to 'snap to grid' and resize it. When i do it, it's like chuga-chuga-chuga....</STRONG>
First thing I thought when I read this :

chuga *toutoutou tou dou toooooo* oh honey honey!

I had to say this to try to make some of you laught and set back a bit.. because some take these forums a bit too serously...

That's all

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2002, 05:46 AM

<STRONG>Exactly, I'm sure there is better multitasking and such but the whole point of Quartz Extreme was to make the UI smooth as silk right? It's uhhh....not working.</STRONG>
Uhh, what makes you think QuartzExtreme is finished work? Do you KNOW that it is fully implemented and feature complete? Do you KNOW that it is all optimized and ready for release? Think! This is a major new step, and the build you are running is a pre-alpha! Wait for the final release before you draw your conclusions...

Sophus

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 13, 2002, 06:59 AM

<STRONG>

Actually 6C35 is the WWDC build. No one outside of Apple has anything else. (All the 6C37 rumors started with one article, and are all inaccurate. 6C35 is all anyone has, and is the one and only WWDC build.)

Sorry.</STRONG>
What is floating around doesn't have to be the same as that one used on WWDC, ya know. Just look at the pre 10.1 builts with broken DVD support as an example.. Steve showed off a 10.1 built with working DVD support a long time before the pirate builts had even something close to a working DVD app.
Unless you know something that I doesn't, I can't say that I belive you..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Peabo  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2002, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by Sophus:
<STRONG>

Uhh, what makes you think QuartzExtreme is finished work? Do you KNOW that it is fully implemented and feature complete? Do you KNOW that it is all optimized and ready for release? Think! This is a major new step, and the build you are running is a pre-alpha! Wait for the final release before you draw your conclusions...

Sophus</STRONG>
I don't think it's finished, I know it's not . Once again, my point is that everyone else seems to claim it's working beautifully.

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 13, 2002, 08:01 AM

*Lol* Out of topic..

Just reminds me that XPs "Luma" have a special meaning in Norwegian.. Like "aqua" is wather in english.. "Luma" is a tool to smoke pot with..
(Don't know the english word for it, but it's kind of a "hand-pipe" wich also can be used with plastic bottle to make a big water pipe..)

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: sniffer ]

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2002, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by sniffer:
<STRONG>*Lol* Out of topic..

Just reminds me that XPs "Luma" have a special meaning in Norwegian.. Like "aqua" is wather in english.. "Luma" is a tool to smoke pot with..
(Don't know the english word for it, but it's kind of a "hand-pipe" wich also can be used with plastic bottle to make a big water pipe..)

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: sniffer ]</STRONG>
Maybe so, but I have never heard of it. I don't smoke pot...
But the correct term is it is WinXP LUNA, not LUMA... LUNA is italian as well as old greek for Moon.

Sophus

sniffer
Professional Poster
May 13, 2002, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Sophus:
<STRONG>

Maybe so, but I have never heard of it. I don't smoke pot...
But the correct term is it is WinXP LUNA, not LUMA... LUNA is italian as well as old greek for Moon.

Sophus</STRONG>
Oki.. Sorry about that.. My fault. :o But it would have been an eXPerience otherwise.. Or something..

BTW: I don't have the habit to smoke pot my self either..

[ 05-13-2002: Message edited by: sniffer ]

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 13, 2002, 11:23 AM

Another post to discount the originators conclusions about speed. I have 10.2 (same build) and I installed it on an External 60 GB Firewire drive connected to a Pismo 500 w/ 640 MB RAM. There is definitely a speed boost with window opening and resizing on my computer. I think part of the problem those who think it's slow are having is that Quartz Extreme is probably not fully developed yet. This is a major change (off loading graphics to card) for Apple and I doubt a Dev. Prev. would have this fully complete. Probably why it's not going to be released until September at the earliest.

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2002, 10:49 AM

Well, someone somewhere broke an NDA somehow, and finally I've got Jaguar on my machine. It's a new TiBook 800. 10.1.4 had been working basically like a dream on it, and I was pretty pleased with the performance I was getting.

So how's Jaguar working for me? It's build 6C35, and my TiBook has 512MB of RAM.

From what I gather, my video card supports Quartz Extreme, thank goodness. But I don't think QE makes much of the difference. In fact, the difference between 10.1.4 and Jaguar is hard to describe.

If I had to think of one word to describe Jag's performance in comparsion to 10.1.4, the word would be...

Snappier. :-)

I'll probably receive death threats for using the S word and all, but that's the bottom line.

Aqua really flows like water, not lava. It's all totally subjective, but the TiBook now feels at least as fast as any Windows machine I've ever used - certainly any Windows laptop. And about a hundred times more fun and pleasing to use.

Unless you like your OS rough around the edges, I wouldn't run Jaguar day-to-day. I think I'll boot back into 10.1.4 soon. My biggest problem is that lots of applications crash all the time.

But Jag's cool, I'd say it almost lives up to the hype.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 14, 2002, 12:05 PM

"Ten minutes after the install, the Apple police were at the door with
a lead-lined container asking for the contaminated hard drive. Lead
lined? I'd been computing so much I didn't notice my hair fell out.

Jaguar was highly radioactive. Steve thought it would deter the
rampant piracy of unreleased builds but this was ridiculous." -2012.

[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: Todd Madson ]

OreoCookie
May 14, 2002, 01:43 PM

at least at this stage 10.2DP is fully unusable on a G3 iBook.
Sounds like bad news for me ... (14" Dual USB)

But as with all stuff: wait till the final version comes out.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Furyan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2002, 11:22 PM

Its crap threads like this that cause Apple to release fewer builds to fewer people.

If you are a developer, use the build, honor your NDA and report issues to Apple. If you are a pirate, know that you are helping Apple decide to release fewer builds farther in between, thanks to leaks just like this.

Fury

naden
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2002, 11:57 PM

I have to agree .. these threads are in gross violation of the NDA which you signed as a condition of attending WWDC.

And obviously z0ne81, you didn't deserve to be there .. because if you did you would surely know the answer to why the UI is sluggish on iMac computers. Or maybe you weren't at WWDC and just pirated it off Carracho.

As for Piracy's remarks that Apple does not have internal builds of 10.2. That's just ridiculous .. the number of descrepancies between the 10.2 demonstrated in the keynote and the one given to WWDC attendees is very significant.

Just trying to set a few things straight ...

Naden.

Peabo  (op)
Senior User
May 15, 2002, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by naden:
<STRONG>I have to agree .. these threads are in gross violation of the NDA which you signed as a condition of attending WWDC.

And obviously z0ne81, you didn't deserve to be there .. because if you did you would surely know the answer to why the UI is sluggish on iMac computers. Or maybe you weren't at WWDC and just pirated it off Carracho.

As for Piracy's remarks that Apple does not have internal builds of 10.2. That's just ridiculous .. the number of descrepancies between the 10.2 demonstrated in the keynote and the one given to WWDC attendees is very significant.

Just trying to set a few things straight ...

Naden.</STRONG>
I know why it's sluggish on an iMac....just not why it's sluggish on G4 733 with Geforce 3. But then, according to other people it's 10X faster on a G3 300 with rage 128

Forum Links
Forum Rules