Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best Place To Get A New 12" PowerBook

Best Place To Get A New 12" PowerBook
Applefreak01
Senior User
Jan 10, 2003, 01:29 AM

Where is the best place to get a 12" PowerBook if you are a student. I know that I can order through the Apple Store online but I don't want to pay for shipping and taxes. But on the plus I can apply for the Apple Loan for Education and get my new PowerBook for $16/month! Does anyone know if I can apply for the loan and then go to say outpost.com or macmall and use the loan, that would be great.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2003, 02:07 AM

what college you goto? do you goto college? cause you can just get it there. at my college i think they usually have like 200 off
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 02:32 AM

Applefreak01:
Check out MacReviewZone for the best prices (scroll down it's towards the 2nd half of the webpage). They update the sale section and give you a price comparison table among all the major Mac sellers.

They don't have the 12" listed yet, but if you don't mind waiting, they will.

My guess is that it'll be a little bit longer for places like MacWarehouse and ClubMac to get their hands on the 12" PB, but I think they might offer a better deal and throw in some softwares.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 02:44 AM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:
Where is the best place to get a 12" PowerBook if you are a student. I know that I can order through the Apple Store online but I don't want to pay for shipping and taxes. But on the plus I can apply for the Apple Loan for Education and get my new PowerBook for $16/month! Does anyone know if I can apply for the loan and then go to say outpost.com or macmall and use the loan, that would be great.
Taxes come out to be about the same as the savings for education. I say, go outpost or another retailer that has free shipping, no tax if you're getting the bare bones stock version. But if you're doing BTO, use education and order online. Shipping is only $15 for 2 day anyway.. It's the tax that gets you.

Mike

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2003, 02:52 AM

If you order from Apple online (like I did) just get the free ground shipping. They almost always upgrade it to 2day Fedex anyway because they ship new products straight from Taiwan. If you want just a stock version, you're probably better off ordering somewhere that won't charge tax, though the tax and edu discount just about cancel each other out. I went with Apple because I also wanted more memory and an AirPort Extreme card. Usually I wouldn't buy memory from Apple, but the 512MB module isn't priced too badly (crucial charges $212 for theirs) especially considering that if i got the stock 256MB model I'd have paid for a 128MB module that would just be gathering dust....

To be honest though, who really cares about having to pay $15-$20 shipping for a machine that will set you back nearly $2000?

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Jan 10, 2003, 11:12 AM

I bought one the online Apple store for education. The 512MB memory upgrade was only $143 extra. I wanted to max out the memory so I don't have to worry about upgrading later. Now all I have to do is wait for it to arrive
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

daSilVetZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2003, 11:28 AM

Why not wait and pick one up in a local Apple Store? That is what I plan on doing, I'm sure that some people will be able to pick one up locally, before some of the people who ordered online will be receiving them. No?

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Jan 10, 2003, 11:32 AM

I don't live near an Apple Store. The closest one to me is 300 miles away in Denver.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2003, 03:10 PM

And unfortunately you can't get edu pricing at the bricks-and-mortar Apple Stores. You have to order online to get the edu discount.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2003, 03:18 PM

I was able to get the education discount at an apple store for hardware only.. not software.. that was in august.. I dont know if policies have changed though.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by SpinCycle:
I was able to get the education discount at an apple store for hardware only.. not software..
You're kidding me! I'll have to try.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Applefreak01:
Check out MacReviewZone for the best prices (scroll down it's towards the 2nd half of the webpage). They update the sale section and give you a price comparison table among all the major Mac sellers.
You could also try mysimon.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules