Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook 700 for student

iBook 700 for student
Applefreak01
Senior User
Jan 17, 2003, 09:24 PM

My brother wants to get a iBook 12" 700MHz. He will also be getting airport and a 512MB RAM upgrade. All that he plans on doing is email, surfing the net, a few light games (like Klondike), typing papers, and using Macromedia Studio MX. Is the iBook good for his needs? How fast is the iBook with 10.2.3? Thanks.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2003, 10:47 PM

The iBook is quite zippy with 10.2.x

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2003, 11:00 PM

I think its perfect. I love my 700 (combo). My brother just bought an 800 for school but I havent had a chanve to play with it yet to compare. the 30 gig HD would be nice but my 20 is good for now.

Kind of depends on how long he thinks on keeping it.

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Jan 19, 2003, 01:11 AM

He plans on keeping for 3 or 4 years and then getting another Mac. Should he still get the iBook if he wants to be using it that far down the road?
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2003, 02:14 AM

Eh, 3 or 4 years is like an eternity in computer time. I guess if he gets it now it'll last him maybe 2-3 years or so if he just uses it for very general things, but if he can afford it doing incremental upgrades (selling iBook to upgrade to newer ones when it comes out, maybe $200 every 5-6 months) that would be the best way. Heh, that's kind of my plan right now

Otherwise, he may want to look at the 12" Powerbook, it's a bit more in price but at least the G4 processor will let it last a bit longer.

Anyways, if he's intent on getting the iBook and can buy it asap, SmallDog has a 700 iBook with an additional 256MB ram for $1079, seems like a pretty good price to me. For some reason it seems to list Airport as well, but Dealmac doesn't say anything about that (it's a DealMac exclusive deal)

http://www.smalldog.com/wag12613/atdealmacex/
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Jan 19, 2003, 02:30 AM

Well after much consideration, he has decided to get the 12" PowerBook. I myself have order one also. Pretty soon we'll have twins in the family (well almost, mine will have an airport card and base station)

Thanks for all of the help.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2003, 04:47 AM

Wow, very cool.

Enjoy your purchase.

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2003, 02:08 PM

Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you two will be happy with the Powerbooks
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

xtal
Senior User
Jan 19, 2003, 03:19 PM

Congrats on the purchases. Now off to the Powerbook forum with you!

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2003, 04:41 AM

Although the iBook would have been fine for what you need it for, the PowerBook is an excellent choice, you'll be very happy with it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

ickettpe
Jan 21, 2003, 05:14 AM

Speaking of incrimental upgrades.... where/how would you suggest selling a used iBook, and would it be best to buy new or used if I am trying to keep costs down?

I just got my new iBook 800 combo, first laptop
Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
-Sir Arthur Eddington
----------------------------
800iBook | 384 | 12.1in | Jag

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2003, 09:42 AM

As a friendly reminder, I'll caution all those considering the 12" PB to use it prior to purchase. The unit produces a lot of heat, especially on the left side wrist rest. Moreover, the machine I used was idle (with no open application). I am concerned the heat produced is intolerable.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2003, 08:13 PM

I'm a student and I've been using my iBook for a few weeks now. It's perfect for all my needs and pretty decent at playing games. I'd say go for it, and with the 512MB RAM upgrade thing you'll be set.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules