Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook 800 12" and Virtual PC

iBook 800 12" and Virtual PC
Applefreak01
Senior User
Jan 21, 2003, 11:51 PM

I want to go back to the mac, really bad. The only problem is money (got hit hard by bills and tutition this semester) and I need to be able to run PC applications like Microsoft Access and some Microsoft Certification Prep software. I'm thinking about selling my current PC and getting the 800MHz iBook. How well does Virtual PC 6 run on the iBook?
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

jfwjxn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2003, 11:59 PM

It isn't a speed demon, but VPC is emulating a 350 MHz Pentium II, so it isn't like a 486. I would recommend not using XP if possible, it will kill you. Use 98se, and that should help lots, and don't forget to give VPC as much RAM as you can!
iBook 800 640/30/Combo/12"
Power Macintosh G3 300-1/256/30
WGS 6150/60 240-G3/72/500
Power Macintosh G4 QS 02 800/896/120

mindwaves
Jan 22, 2003, 03:01 AM

Although, I don't have an iBook (just a 450 mhz iMac with VPC 4.0), I can say that defiitely reboot in 9 to run VPC and use Windows 2000 as it is the fastest OS on VPC.

Gigacorpse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2003, 11:58 AM

I would suggest NT 4 over Win2K. It will still run the current version of Access, although I believe that this might change with the next version of Office. (I do know for sure that the next version of Office will not run under Win98)

siluni
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2003, 01:41 PM

No, it's not zippy, but I run VPC 6.01 with both Win XP and Win98 on my iBook in 10.2.3 and it works OK for running a large VB based program. Not the awful lagging in VPC 5. I'm probably in the minority, but I feel encouraged by VPC 6, having been a user since VPC 3.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:
I want to go back to the mac, really bad. The only problem is money (got hit hard by bills and tutition this semester) and I need to be able to run PC applications like Microsoft Access and some Microsoft Certification Prep software. I'm thinking about selling my current PC and getting the 800MHz iBook. How well does Virtual PC 6 run on the iBook?
Why not just get a 12" Aluminum Powerbook? That way you still have the portability of the iBook but have the power of a G4. the price is only a little more than a 12" 800MHz iBook
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by jfwjxn:
It isn't a speed demon, but VPC is emulating a 350 MHz Pentium II, so it isn't like a 486. I would recommend not using XP if possible, it will kill you. Use 98se, and that should help lots, and don't forget to give VPC as much RAM as you can!
i would have to disagree with you
with an iMac 800 w/ 512 RAM running VPC6 in 10.2.3 using XP is MUCH faster then 98 thought to be (both in VPC 5 and 6)

olli2
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2003, 07:08 PM

Does it worth using Win95?

Does Altivec (G4) help?

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2003, 08:29 PM

I think you should stick with a PC, considering you use it a lot, and the fact that you would have no PC if you purchased an iBook.

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2003, 08:40 AM

I run it on my g4 imac with 384mb ram.

It works, but its slow.

You wouldnt want to spend too much time in an emulated environment. I guarantee it is much slower on an ibook than on a g4 imac too...
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

Moosecat
Jan 24, 2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
Why not just get a 12" Aluminum Powerbook? That way you still have the portability of the iBook but have the power of a G4. the price is only a little more than a 12" 800MHz iBook
Where I come from (and as someone who is contemplating the same choice), $500 is not "only a little more."

klinux
Senior User
Jan 24, 2003, 03:28 PM

Veteran windows user here:

I would avoid using anything less than Windows 2000 (i.e. no Win 95, 98 or ME). I have VPC running XP on an iBook 700 12" and it runs OK with 128 MB RAM. Although I do not use it often since there is almost always a Mac alternative and work around.

Also, as any veteran will tell, after the install, you should tweak your system to turn off unnecessary/annoying services. See blkviper.com or google for xp tweaks.

klinux
Senior User
Jan 24, 2003, 03:35 PM

dup post

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Jan 25, 2003, 01:07 AM

I'm going to get the PowerBook G4 12". I've decided to wait until they start shipping (not to mentition to save up the $$$ needed) and in stock at outpost.com and use the apple loan for education. This way I can keep my PC rig and have the best of both worlds.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

olli2
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2003, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by klinux:
Veteran windows user here:

I would avoid using anything less than Windows 2000 (i.e. no Win 95, 98 or ME). I have VPC running XP on an iBook 700 12" and it runs OK with 128 MB RAM. Although I do not use it often since there is almost always a Mac alternative and work around.

Also, as any veteran will tell, after the install, you should tweak your system to turn off unnecessary/annoying services. See blkviper.com or google for xp tweaks.
I just cannot understand how XP can be more comfortable on a "virtual slow" machine, when it is much more demanding in resources compared to Win 95 and 98. I see you turn off every performance eater features (indexing service, recovery, visual skinning stuff, unneded services, etc. - I even do it on my desktop PC), but it should be still slower compared to win 95 tweaked by my oppinion. However, I don't have a Mac to try it out.

Anyway, the blkviper.com address is very useful. Here's an other one:
W2K Performance Tips
http://www.hszk.bme.hu/~ki023/w2ktips/w2ktips.html

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2003, 02:58 AM

Instead of buying the 12"Powerbook from outpost.com, why not buy it from the Online AppleStore for Education or a retail AppleStore? (If you go to the Retail Applestore, make sure you ask the salesperson for the educational discount for college students and they'll give you a form to fill out.)

As a college student, you'll get $50 or a$100 discount off the retail price on Apple computers.

I got a $100 off on my PowerMac G4 dual 867 from the retail price of$1699 (and doubled my ram to 512mb for $40 during one of Apple's promo) at the On line Applestore for Education because I took advantage of the discount offered to college students

The last time I checked, Apple had free ground shipping. I chose 2 day shipping instead though.

wg2499
Jan 25, 2003, 10:13 AM

I use vpc 6 on my ibook 600 with 640megs ram I use an external fw drive for my drive image and win2000 runs great.. much faster than win98 on the same system without the external drive.......goodluck... the external is a 2.5in 4200 rpm notebook drive in a fw enclosure...so it is small and bus powered so still portable

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by MacGallant:
Instead of buying the 12"Powerbook from outpost.com, why not buy it from the Online AppleStore for Education or a retail AppleStore? (If you go to the Retail Applestore, make sure you ask the salesperson for the educational discount for college students and they'll give you a form to fill out.)
Apple charges tax while Outpost probably wouldn't. Plus outpost probably has some sort of bundle where you get something free with the book. I would only order from Apple if you need a custom configuration.

Forum Links
Forum Rules