Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AvantGo & OS X

AvantGo & OS X
aleksteph
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 10:27 AM

Hi everyone,
I'm new to Mac world and would like to know if there is a way to make work AvantGo with OS X (& palm 4).

Thank you in advance on your answer.
Alek

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2003, 11:29 AM

There isn't. AvantGo is pretty much DOA on X since they haven't come out with an updated conduit.

私
Feb 12, 2003, 04:55 PM

I really wish they would actually update. AvantGo was really great. I loved being able to get driving directions from MapQuest onto my Visor without having to write them out.

-私

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Feb 13, 2003, 12:24 AM

Try iSilo . Works on Win & Mac. I switched a long time ago.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

jen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2003, 12:55 AM

I'd definitely second the recommendation for iSilo.

Alexander Turcic has compiled a huge collection of iSilo channels that you can browse/convert using iSiloX. You can find his iSilo web collection on his website:

http://www.turcic.com/palm.shtml

Hope this helps!

Jen

jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by jen:
I'd definitely second the recommendation for iSilo.

Alexander Turcic has compiled a huge collection of iSilo channels that you can browse/convert using iSiloX. You can find his iSilo web collection on his website:

http://www.turcic.com/palm.shtml

Hope this helps!

Jen
I couldnt find the links on that page???
And what do I use to view the pages on my palm?

jen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2003, 10:52 AM

If you look directly underneath the screenshot of iSiloX, you should see "Download Options" and three links with labels that begin with "WCC". You want to download one of these zip files - the difference between the three is that they are configured by default to save the converted web channels to different locations (1. to a directory on your HD, 2. to your PDA's RAM, or 3. to an external memory card).

Once you have downloaded the web channel collection zip file, you will need iSiloX for the Mac to open the *.ixl file (containing the web channels) and convert the channels you want.

There's also a command line version of the iSiloX program called iSiloXC in case you're interested.

Once you've selected the channels you want and have converted them, you'll need the iSilo app on your Palm OS device (there's also a version for Pocket PC) to view the converted files.

You might want to check out the iSilo support page - they have some tutorials that might be helpful.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Jen

jparisi
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by jen:
If you look directly underneath the screenshot of iSiloX, you should see "Download Options" and three links with labels that begin with "WCC". You want to download one of these zip files - the difference between the three is that they are configured by default to save the converted web channels to different locations (1. to a directory on your HD, 2. to your PDA's RAM, or 3. to an external memory card).

Once you have downloaded the web channel collection zip file, you will need iSiloX for the Mac to open the *.ixl file (containing the web channels) and convert the channels you want.

There's also a command line version of the iSiloX program called iSiloXC in case you're interested.

Once you've selected the channels you want and have converted them, you'll need the iSilo app on your Palm OS device (there's also a version for Pocket PC) to view the converted files.

You might want to check out the iSilo support page - they have some tutorials that might be helpful.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Jen
Gotcha... So i have to kinda weed through those 100's of channels to see which i want?? eek..

Also - How do i view them once they're on my palm (SD Card). I couldnt find any of that in support?

And everytime I want to update the pages on my palm I have to re-convert them, correct? Does it overwrite the current versions on my sd card?

jen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by jparisi:
Gotcha... So i have to kinda weed through those 100's of channels to see which i want?? eek..

Also - How do i view them once they're on my palm (SD Card). I couldnt find any of that in support?

And everytime I want to update the pages on my palm I have to re-convert them, correct? Does it overwrite the current versions on my sd card?
Yeah, you do have to weed through the huge list to find what you want - kind of a pain, but if you consider the alternative (trying to find the sites on your own), it's not so bad. There used to be a trick to finding out the URLs for AvantGo sites (make the max size of the converted channel a tiny number, to force it to throw an error - the URL would then appear in the error log) but they've since taken that away...

I forgot about one slightly annoying aspect of the Mac iSiloX program - the conversion option to save to external media does not work. I did find a workaround, though, which might be acceptable to you. What I do is choose to save the file to the folder on my HD that gets moved to my memory stick during a hotsync. In my case, it's something like /Users/username/Documents/Palm/Users/palmusername/Files to Install/Memory Stick/. This will move the files to the /PALM/Launcher/ directory on my memory stick. iSilo lets you browse to open files from any directory on an external card (in iSilo on the palm, go to the Tools menu and select Open File), so I just have mine set to list the files in that /PALM/Launcher directory.

When I hotsync, the files that I've converted get copied over to the memory stick and overwrite the older ones.

If you want to automate the process, you could pull the channels you want out into your own .ixl file and add a cron job to call iSiloXC at a scheduled time. Here's a link you might find helpful:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...21206053711174

Jen

Forum Links
Forum Rules