Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Werid Wireless router behavior

Werid Wireless router behavior
Applefreak01
Senior User
May 21, 2004, 04:23 PM

I have a Netgear 802.11b wireless router model MR814v2 that I use with my iBook. My iBook is the only wireless device that uses the wireless part of the router. As of yesterday I've noticed that at odd times it takes a while for a page to load after click on a link or any other button on a web page. Usually the delay is about 30 sec.

My iBook is about 5 feet from the router most of the time. I just hope my wireless part in the router isn't going bad or my airport card.

I've got 128-bit encryption on and I know that will slow the speeds down but I've always had that on and like I said until yesterday I didn't notice the delay.

Any idea what's going on? Thanks in advance.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

aaanorton
Mac Elite
May 22, 2004, 01:21 PM

If it really did just start showing up yesterday, it's probably an ISP-related network issue. This happens from time to time. If it doesn't clear up by itself by Mon, give them a call. You could also try resetting the modem and router. Unplug them both from power. Wait a minute. Plug the modem in. Wait til it gets an IP (watch the lights and wait til they seem regular). Then plug in the router. But like I said, there's most likely nothing you can do about this, cuz it's your ISP's problem.

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
May 22, 2004, 09:00 PM

Yeah I guess it is my ISP as you suggested. Today's been a bad day with all the very strong storms and tornados around here. I've had to reset my modem a couple of times today when links and email would stop working after each wave of storms. I noticed it does it on my wired PC too so it's not my wireless part. Thanks for your help aaanorton.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

aaanorton
Mac Elite
May 23, 2004, 01:19 AM

Good, glad it's not your LAN, but just a tornado or 2...

Forum Links
Forum Rules