Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > So how are the Mac Mini Intel single core systems?

So how are the Mac Mini Intel single core systems?
Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 17, 2006, 06:22 PM

Hi everyone. I've been thinking of selling my iBook G3 900MHz and getting a Mac Mini Intel single core. I was wondering from those of you who have this system, how do you like it? I really don't do anything that intensive with my iBook just your average web/email/office/web page creating use. I use to be a big PC gamer with games like Everquest 1/2, World of Warcraft and the Battlefield series but I've got a Xbox 360 now and gaming PC is just sitting there. I might even sell the parts of that system to maybe get the Mac Mini Duo core.

The main reason I want a Mac Mini is that I work as a computer tech and I would love a system that I could use that I could do both Mac OS X and Windows XP on without the slow software emulation.

I've been reading up on them as of late and just want some input from the owners of this system before I make a decision. I've played around on a customers Mac Mini G4 before and thought it was something else. I wouldn't miss the portability of my iBook as 99% of the time it sits on my desk at work and home. The Mac Mini I'm thinking I could just as easily move it from work and home, I have separate monitors and keyboards at each location for it so that's no problem.

I guess I just need some reassurance that this system is a good buy. If it is you folks can expect my iBook and PC parts up in the Marketplace soon.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 11:10 AM

Considering what you do right now, you'll be fine. I've tried the Core Solo model and it's surprisingly responsive given the single core and integrated graphics. The only pokey bit is running certain apps in Rosetta, but that's something you can generally overcome with RAM.

RAM will be the important factor here: equip the mini with at least 1 GB, and if you can get more, do it. I wouldn't get any more than 1 GB of RAM if you opt to increase the RAM through Apple (the 2 GB upgrade price is nuts). Installing RAM yourself isn't easy (you have to pry the lid off with a metal putty knife, remove some screws, and unplug cables), but if you regularly work on computer hardware you'll be fine.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Applefreak01  (op)
Senior User
Jun 18, 2006, 11:30 AM

Thanks. I really don't need 2 cores. I was planning on getting the 1GB memory upgrade, SuperDrive upgrade and a 7200rpm hard drive upgrade. Now to sell the iBook.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2006, 03:45 PM

The Intel Mac mini CPU is easily upgradeable; if the single core model is too slow for you after a year, you can drop in a much faster dual core chip.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2006, 06:14 PM

My question is, is a core solo 1.5ghz processor faster than a 1.5ghz P4?

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2006, 08:05 PM

Yes it is. Bus speed, and a few other details.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2006, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
My question is, is a core solo 1.5ghz processor faster than a 1.5ghz P4?
The 1.5Ghz Core Solo is about as fast as a 2.2Ghz P4 according to systemshootouts.org

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2006, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
The 1.5Ghz Core Solo is about as fast as a 2.2Ghz P4 according to systemshootouts.org
Ah perfect. I have a 1.5ghz P4 next to me and thats horrible, I'll hopefully buy a core solo mini soon then.

aafuss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2006, 07:48 AM

I have a P4-2.4GHz, 512MB (same amount as my Mini, but DDR266), 80GB +120GB PATA HD's, and FX5200 Graphics. My Mac Mini Core solo was more responsive and stable, and of course newer parts-like SATA and the Core Solo
Invader Zim
"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubberpants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!"

A.A.'s Mac-Mac mini Core Solo 1.5GHz, 512MB, 60GB SATA HDD, Combo Drive, OS X 10.4.5, iWork '06, iLife '06, Logic Express 7. Mouse-Logitech G7, Keyboard-MS Digital Media Keyboar
Fifth Generation iPod (30GB)-White

Forum Links
Forum Rules