Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Test for Bad RAM in a Powerbook G4

Test for Bad RAM in a Powerbook G4
NDBounce
Senior User
Jul 6, 2007, 11:01 AM

Background Info: I am running a Powerbook G4 1.5GHz, 1GB Ram (2 x 512) 80GB HD.

I recently realized that I have a bad RAM Module. I noticed this yesterday when checking my about this mac and realizing that it says I only have 512MB of Ram. I knew this was not the case, as I have a 512MB chip that came with the computer, and another 512MB Kingston chip in the computer).

I then restarted my Powerbook, This time it said I had 768MB.

I decided something funny was happening, so I decided to try each chip solo. Both Chips worked, and showed 512MB of Ram (when used solo). Also note, I tried the Apple Chip in the upper slot (with nothing in the lower slot) and then I tried the Kingston chip in the lower slot (with nothing in the upper slot), to eliminate the bad slot theory.

Then I put both chips back in. I restarted, and showed 1GB of RAM. Good...or so I thought. But I have had 2 kernal panics in the past 8 hours, AND I just restarted and now I am showing 768MB of RAM.

So I figure one chip is going bad. But is not 100% bad.

Is there a good method for me to figure out which chip is going bad? Do I just need to start using 512MB until I can find out which chip is causing Kernal Panics? Is there a piece of software that can help me?

Thank you,

O
B unce!

roller
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2007, 11:08 AM

There is a freeware (I think) program called Rember you can download to check RAM. Try versiontracker.com
My Macs: 15" Macbook Pro, Mac Pro,
Lab of ~ 25 various models purchased over the last eight years

My Sites: AppleBytes: Apple-inspired Tees and more, iSwitched: Guide for Switchers,
Yearbook QR Codes, Yearbook Unlimited

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2007, 03:21 AM

what roller said, grab it here:

Kelley Computing

Forum Links
Forum Rules