Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerMac G4 PSU replacment

PowerMac G4 PSU replacment
SleePyCode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2008, 05:18 PM

Does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement PSU for a PowerMac G4?
It seems the fan has been starting to run louder and louder these days and I finally set it on the desk and opened it up and the sound is coming from the PSU. I have a feeling that the fan is going out on it and am going to need a new PSU unit.

This is the G4 model that doesn't have the double mirrored doors. I can never remember the name of it, the speaker is at the bottom though.
Apples System Profiler doesn't say much about the PSU, but I do have a label on the side of the PSU so it may contain information to help me get the correct replacement. I don't need more power or anything, just want a exact replacement.

packet of krisps
Jan 3, 2008, 07:52 PM

If it's earlier than the MDD model, check ebay, it probably isn't going to be sold anywhere special.

Is the box silver at all or does it have a dark blueish front?

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

SleePyCode  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2008, 01:31 AM

Silver.. Thanks for the help.. I do see PSUs online but I am not sure if they are the correct ones. I want to make sure I get the right one.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 4, 2008, 01:27 PM

Well your model of G4 is a Quicksilver.

Power supplies are probably going to be ridiculously expensive for it. Do you use an ACD display and are you technically/electrically minded?

packet of krisps
Jan 4, 2008, 08:31 PM

yeah hes right, they do seem expensive, perhaps you should look into refurbs...

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

SleePyCode  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2008, 09:35 PM

seanc, I am technically/electrically minded, I just don't keep up on the technical terms I should be (but quick lookups and common sense are good).
By ACD I assume you mean Apple Color Display? I use the same monitor I received with the G4 and it is powered by the video card.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 6, 2008, 09:12 AM

By ACD I had meant Apple Cinema Display.

Since you do use one, the only option I can really suggest is to open the power supply and replace the fan yourself or replace the entire power supply.

For reference, the fan in the Quicksilver PSU uses a two pin connector rather than the three pin connector that are found on most fans.

Forum Links
Forum Rules