Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > DVI or VGA

DVI or VGA
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 11:21 AM

I am using VGA right now with my monitor. The quality is pretty good, but sometimes I think movies come up a little fuzzy. Also games seem to be a little on the not sharp side. Will this quality increase if I use DVI? What are some benefits over VGA that DVI has? Thanks!

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2007, 12:34 PM

I don't know the answer to the DVI VGA part, although I use VGA and my monitor is perfectly clear. If you're using an LCD you need to make sure you're operating using the native resolution of the LCD.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
While CRT monitors can usually display images at various resolutions, a LCD monitor has to rely on interpolation (scaling of the image), which causes a loss of image quality. A LCD has to scale up a smaller image to fit into the area of the native resolution. This is the same principle as taking a smaller image in an image editing program and enlarging it; the smaller image loses its sharpness when it is expanded. This is especially problematic as most resolutions are in a 4:3 aspect ratio (640×480, 800×600, 1024×768, 1280×960, 1600×1200) but there are odd resolutions that are not, notably 1280×1024. If a user were to map 1024×768 to a 1280×1024 screen there would be distortion as well as some image errors, as there is not a one-to-one mapping with regards to pixels. This results in noticeable quality loss and the image is much less sharp.

kchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2007, 12:44 PM

The fuzzy games and movies almost certainly aren't because of VGA. If you find small text isn't sharp enough, or you're seeing some kind of faint shadowing, slight color fringes, or interference on the display, then DVI might help. The difference between DVI and VGA isn't usually so obvious as you describe, you need to look carefully to notice it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 12:54 PM

Yes, DVI should improve sharpness with an LCD.

Even when running an LCD at its native resolution with VGA, I've noticed some softness compared to DVI.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 02:03 PM

Maybe then I'll pick up a DVI cable. Hopefully I can find one in the Marketplace for cheaper than retail (which is like $40-$100).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Maybe then I'll pick up a DVI cable. Hopefully I can find one in the Marketplace for cheaper than retail (which is like $40-$100).
$5 at Newegg (plus $5 shipping, which is a good excuse to buy something else at the same time )

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2007, 04:19 PM

Cable lengths matter too. I know this probably isn't the issue for you, but if I hook up my LCD monitor using a 10' VGA extension cable, the produced image is very soft and has a lot of "ghosting".

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2007, 07:48 PM

I have a 3 foot cable, so it's not to long.

kchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2007, 01:52 AM

I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the image quality with the new cable. I still think the effects you have described are probably due to software settings or graphics hardware limitations, not the VGA cable.

but DVI can't hurt, it will produce a sharper, better image than VGA, more so at higher resolutions, I think.

chrisdisregard
Feb 26, 2007, 04:48 PM

( Last edited by chrisdisregard; Nov 23, 2019 at 06:08 PM. )

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 05:28 PM

I don't use a converter. My graphics card right now is VGA and ADC. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro on the way though.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by chrisdisregard View Post
As a somewhat related question, how much do conversions effect the quality? ie. VGA -> DVI vs. VGA -> VGA or something? I've heard things like longer cables can have an effect but don't know that I've seen anyone mention converters, which I'd assume would have a similar or greater effect.
Depends if it's an actual converter, or just a pin adapter.

The $5 "converter" that you plug into the back of your video card is really just a pin adapter. It connects certain pins between the two connectors and tells the video card to output the different signal. Quality is the same as the "native" quality of the connection on the monitor.

On the other hand if you're using a $300ish converter box that actually converts between VGA and DVI, the quality is the lower of the two (in this case, VGA).

Forum Links
Forum Rules