Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Is it just me, or is there something wrong in the world of wireless routers?

Is it just me, or is there something wrong in the world of wireless routers? (Page 2)
f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 03:25 PM

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by tooki
So today I moved on to my fifth router in 3 years.

My first was a Netgear MR314, the last model to be in a metal enclosure. It stopped booting, and I spent the $ to mail it back to Netgear for replacement. The replacement lasted another six months before its wireless portion died.

I decided to cut my losses with the Netgear and try a D-Link. I got a DI-624, and it was great for about nine months, then it started rebooting spontaneously. I re-flashed it, and that fixed it for a bit, then it died altogether and stopped booting. I took it back to Best Buy and got a brand new one. That one lasted two months before it started spontaneously rebooting. (Any attempt to connect to it from my Pismo instantly caused a reboot.)

Today I took that second DI-624 back and got a Linksys WRT54G. Let's hope that the third time's the charm. (Third model, not unit... :sigh: )

The only good thing to come out of this is that since the prices of these things keep dropping, every time I take the damned thing back, Best Buy gives me a new unit and store credit back. On the latest one, I'll also be able to submit the rebates, so I'll have made back $40 on the bastard.

Is it just me or are these things made like crap? Is a freaking working router too much to ask?!?

tooki

Linksys was a good brand until Cisco took it over, the new software that runs them had major problems at first but it looks like they got the kinks worked out of it. For the ones that last the longest I love the Microsoft Routers which they don’t make any more, USR and Linksys, netgear, dlink and smc where the worst ones.

One important thing is to make sure the unit is well ventilated, if its stacked with a modem or a switch that will cause both units to over heat, second make sure the power in the house is good, many device and computer problems can be caused by bad power. Also dust can cause problems too. Keeping the unit clean of dust, cool and connected to a UPS that is usually recommended anyways by me for most computer users they should last a long time.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jun 14, 2005, 01:19 PM

As I said in my most recent post above, it is protected by multiple high-grade surge strips, plus a high-grade UPS. The room is air-conditioned, and none of the equipment is stacked. The Linksys hasn't been here long enough for any dust to settle, much less collect, so that's not it, either.

I forgot to say in my previous post, but the DSL line coming in is also surge protected.

Just about the only thing I haven't done, short of voodoo incantations, is to turn the whole apartment into a giant faraday cage by installing wire mesh in all the walls, ceilings, and floors. That would eliminate outside interference. (Of course, that would also destroy my cellphone reception!)

tooki

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 02:50 PM

Just about the only thing I haven't done, short of voodoo incantations, is to turn the whole apartment into a giant faraday cage by installing wire mesh in all the walls, ceilings, and floors. That would eliminate outside interference. (Of course, that would also destroy my cellphone reception!)

tooki
Not necessarily, http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=227460

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2005, 04:32 PM

So guess what? The stupid Linksys is starting to give me trouble, too. It's been one month and four days.
Ok, this is officially getting weird. Are you sure you are NOT me ?

Does anyone have any suggestions? A lack of reliable networking is absolutely driving me nuts!
Ethernet over powerline adapters.
Definitely MY next move. In case you ARE me, yours, too.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 15, 2005, 06:01 PM

Tooki, that is indeed too wierd! With good power conditioning and good environmental control, there shouldn't be any reason that ANY electronic device should just plain fail on you. 34-35 days of service is not a good thing; I have stuff on shelves in my office here that has been on and running constantly since the end of January-and I only turned it off because there would be nobody here to use it. My DSL modem is the same one I got when I started with DSL about five years ago.

How are the prices on chicken guts in Baltimore? You may need to start looking into voodoo!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
How are the prices on chicken guts in Baltimore? You may need to start looking into voodoo!

-t

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2005, 10:50 PM

Tooki, that is indeed too wierd! With good power conditioning and good environmental control, there shouldn't be any reason that ANY electronic device should just plain fail on you.
Is it possible that there's some high-powered microwave source nearby? Maybe an oven with a broken gasket? An airport radar?

jasong
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 10:56 PM

I just finally replaced my P.O.S. Buffalo Tech G54 Airstation. Calling it a P.O.S. is an insult to dookie everywhere. If I ever meet someone who works for Buffalo Tech, I will slap them twice. It would routinely lose the wireless signal throughout the day, coming up and dropping about 10 times a minute. Sometimes it would settle down and resume normal operations after 15 minutes or so, but usually required me unplugging and plugging it in a few times.

The original Airport Base Station that it replaced is running just fine at a friends house. I took this as an omen and sprung for an Airport Express mainly to get the wireless print server, but the music streaming is pretty cool (why would anyone pay more money for the Airport Extreme Base Station).

I hope I get some luck with this (and that Apple doesn't release a video version tomorrow).
-- Jason

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by f1000
My D-link DI-624 kicked the bucket today. While it's still under warranty, I have to pay for shipping.
Update: D-link sent me a replacement, but they kept all the original packaging. They also sent me a worse looking router (with scuff marks) with a cracked antenna, but it does work.

The router I sent them looked absolutely brand new. At the very least, they could try to send replacements in similar looking condition.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2005, 06:16 PM

Ha, you wanna hear something funny. In less than 6 weeks, the download speed (see test here) of my Linksys router dropped from avg. of 2500-3000 Kb/s to 1200-1700 Kb/s. WTF ?

-t

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Ha, you wanna hear something funny. In less than 6 weeks, the download speed (see test here) of my Linksys router dropped from avg. of 2500-3000 Kb/s to 1200-1700 Kb/s. WTF ?
Do you see the same slow down if you plug directly into your modem?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 27, 2005, 08:30 PM

I don't know if turtle777 will see any difference or not; that's the typical behavior of DSL connections over older, aerial copper as the temperature increases. Now turtle, if you're on a cable connection, that's a different thing alltogether.

One thing you can do if the router IS involved, though, is simply turn it off for a couple of minutes and then turn it back on. These little boxes are not expected to be put into terribly rigorous service, so let's say that the manufacturers don't bend over backwards to make sure the software running them is completely bullet proof-or leak proof. In most cases, "rebooting" the router makes a HUGE difference. It has to stay off long enough for the capacitors in the memory section to discharge, so leaving it off for a timed five minutes should be more than adequate. Hey, it'll give you a chance to go get a drink while you're waiting.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2005, 12:03 PM

I don't know if turtle777 will see any difference or not; that's the typical behavior of DSL connections over older, aerial copper as the temperature increases. Now turtle, if you're on a cable connection, that's a different thing alltogether.
I'm on cable. And if I use ethernet directly to my Mac, the connection flies, speedwise.
I'll get 4000-4500 Mb/s with a ethernet connection. Hence my thoughts of switching to ethernet over powerline.

One thing you can do if the router IS involved, though, is simply turn it off for a couple of minutes and then turn it back on. These little boxes are not expected to be put into terribly rigorous service, so let's say that the manufacturers don't bend over backwards to make sure the software running them is completely bullet proof-or leak proof. In most cases, "rebooting" the router makes a HUGE difference.
I have to do that now and then anyways, because the connection get's "stuck".
I will run tests though to see if the slowdown occurs over time, and a complete reboot will fix it. Maybe, I have just to turn off the modem once a week. What a PITA.

-t

tooki  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jun 28, 2005, 01:20 PM

Gah. I don't know why i didn't poke back into this thread sooner.

f1000: that's hella cool. alas, i don't have $50,000 to spend on wallpaper!!! The airport is about 10 miles away. I don't know how to check for microwaves other than mine; i know that if my microwave is running, it slows down my networking, but doesn't cause the router to reboot.

turtle: I think we're separate people. I guess we could all just be batteries in a giant Matrix. :shrug:

ghporter: I'll go to Broadway Market and check on the chicken innards. :-P

As for my Linksys... i haven't had any reboots (at least that I have noticed) since i last posted...

tooki

Jeepguy01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2005, 05:16 PM

Wireless routers really are pieces of ****. If I weren't too poor (and lazy), I'd go out and replace my Linksys router--it craps out on me exactly when I don't want it to. I don't know anyone that has ever had a pleasant long-term experience with a Linksys router.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepguy01
Wireless routers really are pieces of ****. If I weren't too poor (and lazy), I'd go out and replace my Linksys router--it craps out on me exactly when I don't want it to. I don't know anyone that has ever had a pleasant long-term experience with a Linksys router.
Let me introduce myself. I'm Glenn, and I've had litterally years of pleasant experience with Linksys routers. <sarcasm off>

Really, I have had only ONE difficulty beyond learning that Linksys boxes like to stay cool and that their cool-stacking legs are better for show than actual stacking. My original BEFSR41 router crapped out on me after about 4 1/2 years of service (which included the above learning curve). I revived it for a bit, but then it fell off the shelf, so I had to replace it. I replaced it with a new BEFSR41. I have two Linksys access points-a WAP11 and a WAP54G.

I personally believe that it's better to have a router and a separate access point-and many people's experience may bear that out. Trying to get too much going inside one small box may be the downfall of those devices. Since I've only ever had separate boxes, that may explain why I've never had any major problems too. Unfortunately, it's much more expensive to use two different boxes, but the extra $60-80 that I've spent to have two different boxes has paid off in NOT having to replace those two boxed.

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 06:55 PM

Hey guys, I got a nooby question, please help.
I have cable modem (Motorola surfboard) hooked up to a 54 Mbps Netgear wireless router WGR614 wired to a G5 Dual 1.8 PM.
Seems like it is fast only for the first 5-10 minutes after I reboot the router.
My question is : if I replace it with a 108 Mbps wireless router, is it going to increase the speed of web browsing eventhough I am not using wireless connection?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2005, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky8
Hey guys, I got a nooby question, please help.
I have cable modem (Motorola surfboard) hooked up to a 54 Mbps Netgear wireless router WGR614 wired to a G5 Dual 1.8 PM.
Seems like it is fast only for the first 5-10 minutes after I reboot the router.
My question is : if I replace it with a 108 Mbps wireless router, is it going to increase the speed of web browsing eventhough I am not using wireless connection?
No, it's not, unless your Netgear wireless router is brocken.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 30, 2005, 11:13 AM

Lucky, your speed issue could be caused a number of problems. My first thought would be to see what happens when you connect directly to the modem. The modem may be reacting to a fresh request for an address from the router, and once it settles down, the speed decreases. Or the router could be doing something beyond simply connecting you to the modem. The only way to see is to see what happens when the router is out of the equation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules