Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A note on Macbook's performance...

A note on Macbook's performance...
Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2007, 12:57 PM

I had yesterday the chance to play with a Macbook, Core 2 Duo at 2 GHz, 1 GB RAM. While the machine feels fast, I was really surprised when I launched the included Big Bang Backgammon. I had open the Activity Monitor and I saw both processors hovering at around or a little more 50% each! There were no processes eating up CPU cycles in the background (without the game open CPU usage was about 0.5-1.5%).

Now the same game on my very old Powerbook (867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, Geforce 420), takes from 60 to 70% of processing power and the graphics are fluid. And this is with 7-10% background processes.

Has anyone a reasonable explanation for that? What kind of optimizations this game has? Even if the GMA 950 is so bad (but worse than an old lame dinosaur of a Geforce 420 ?!), can this explain the result?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2007, 05:34 PM

Is the game universal or PowerPC only?

Pierre B.  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Is the game universal or PowerPC only?
It is universal since last year (according to the link since 3/23/2006). That's why I was so curious to find out what's going on here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules