Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > upgrading to 10.4 on an old ti pbook

upgrading to 10.4 on an old ti pbook
Tiny-E
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 06:19 AM

Okay, I've finally broken down and am thinking of upgrading to 10.4 (I have the lovely box sitting on my desk atm). Just wondering though, if it's going to improve my computer? I'm currently have a 550 MHz G4 powerbook with 512 MB ram and am running 10.2.8 (yeah, ancient right??). Will Tiger make my computer that much better? Will it make it worse?

Shoud I back up any of my files (e.g itunes, iphoto, docs) or just go ahead and upgrade?

And if I do, where can I go on the web to lean how to use Tiger?

Sorry if these questions sound dumb but I love my computer and I need it to last me another year!

Cheers!

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 06:23 AM

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Not really.
4. Do an archive and install as it will save you from a headache later on.
5. There isn't much difference between Jaguar and Tiger as far as a "learning curve." IMO.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 06:25 AM

Tiger will run better than 10.2.8I have it running on an iMac 500 MHz SE G3 1 GB RAM and it runs ok.
However more RAM would be advisable.

Back up files is always good.

Learning Tiger? Well, it's not THAT different, and there is Help included.
Just go for it. Have fun.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2005, 06:39 AM

Tiger runs well on my TiBook Rev. A 500mhz w/512mb RAM.

Not grrrrreat but decent.

Tiny-E  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 06:43 AM

sorry, what's an archive?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2005, 07:26 AM

When you're in the OS X installer, preparing to install the OS, you can click the installation options button to choose to do either a regular Upgrade, an Archive and Install or an Erase and Install. The Archive and Install option is a great choice because it creates a new system folder and then moves the important installed files over to the new one.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2005, 09:39 AM

I have a Ti/400 with 384 MB of RAM, and Tiger has been running decently for me. It's no G5/dual1.8, which I also have, but it gets the job done quite nicely, and it seems to be a bit faster than Panther was (not much, but a little). You have more RAM than I do, so you should see and even better boost.

About the only caveat I have is that I've used several console emulators on that machine in the past, and these seem to have taken a nose-dive in terms of framerate. I'm a bit confused as to why this happens, because this seems to have been the only place where performance was adversely affected. I don't think it's video-related, because playing movies seems to have gotten faster. Maybe it's some common code that the emulators share or something?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2005, 04:47 PM

If you can pump the RAM up to 1GB that would be great. Tiger will almost certainly be much nicer than Jaguar on your machine, especially 10.4.3.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Tiny-E  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2005, 07:26 PM

Is there a big diff between upgrading (installing?) and doing an archive and install?

andgarden
Nov 3, 2005, 07:44 PM

>Is there a big diff between upgrading (installing?) and doing an archive and install?

Yes. Archive and install is generally felt to be a far better option; you get a new system folder but keep all of your preferences. With an installation as old as yours, archive is a no-brainer.

JustOwnin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2005, 09:33 PM

Archieve and install.

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2005, 03:35 AM

upgrade your hdd from 4200rpm to a 5400 rpm...tiger will love it
"I cluck, therefor I am."

jmgriff
Nov 4, 2005, 12:43 PM

I have a 550MHz TiBook running 10.4.3 ... it runs Tiger well, performance certainly no worse then 10.3 and much better in some respects (MUCH better then 10.2).

Personally I always backup my data, erase the drive and start fresh ... I would backup anyway even if doing an archive and install or upgrade (but don't do a simple upgrade).

d0GGii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 03:40 AM

sorry for posting a question here .. im in the same boat as Tiny-E deciding upon whether to upgrade to 10.4
anyways my question is should i try to get a 10.4 upgrade DVD or just go ahead and buy the full version? i understand that i can get one for 69 bucks with educational discount at the apple store.
i have an ibook with OSx 10.3 and i have the 10.3 CD
( Last edited by d0GGii; Nov 5, 2005 at 04:07 AM. )

jmgriff
Nov 5, 2005, 08:37 AM

There is no "upgrade" pricing ... grab the edu discount $69.

d0GGii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2005, 03:38 PM

i mean u can find those TIGER upgrade DVD on ebay but they'r not cheap at all .. so i guess i should just go for the full version.

jmgriff
Nov 6, 2005, 07:24 AM

Also be aware that a proportion of the Tiger DVDs being sold on eBay are reinstall discs that came with new macs .... and you may have difficulty installing those on anything other then the model the disc was supplied with.

Forum Links
Forum Rules