Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any way to turn off the snoring light in sleep mode?

Any way to turn off the snoring light in sleep mode?
milehighguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2006, 02:15 AM

I'm wondering if there's any way to disable the function that makes the light on my powerbook go on and off and on again while in sleep mode.
Thanks.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 13, 2006, 02:33 AM

No there is not (not that I know of, anyway). But you could look into the info given on this page to make your computer go directly to "Safe Sleep" mode. That stores the contents of memory to the hard disk and shuts off the computer entirely (including the light). The downside is that it will take longer to resume from sleep.

You could try a piece of tape over the light if it bothers you while trying to sleep or something.

hndsmman
May 13, 2006, 03:00 AM

Yeah, I had the same problem. My PB is facing my bed, so it bothers me and keeps me from sleeping. I just remember to put a book or something in front of it before I go to sleep. Or you could just turn it around

ksloan2
May 13, 2006, 07:59 AM

Before I had a Mac I thought this was a really cool feature, and now that I have one, I still think it's a cool feature, but just a tad bit too bright. It's easy enough to cover it, though.

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
May 13, 2006, 09:09 AM

If you leave it open it will use the ambient light sensor to dim the light like the imacs etc. It does get quite dull...

It certainly happens on the last version of the 15" PowerBook
David.

The Wolf
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by DavidHossack
If you leave it open it will use the ambient light sensor to dim the light like the imacs etc. It does get quite dull...

It certainly happens on the last version of the 15" PowerBook
Not sure if I am understanding this, and while it sounds cool, it's not making sense to me. With the lid closed on top of the ambient light sensor, it should be detecting less light than it would if the lid were open. That would mean it would make the "snoring light" very dim with the lid closed and then brighter with the lid open (to counteract the effect of ambient light). Meh, don't know but I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight

fwiw, I have a little airline pillow that I put over the s.l. and usually mah saks or draws [/southern drawl] go on the power cord light.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 13, 2006, 10:26 AM

the pulsing light is also an indication that the powerbook IS asleep (as opposed to frozen...)

recently, i put my alubook to sleep, and the light did not come on (i noticed this about 10 minutes later); the 'book had crashed, so i restarted (and all was well).

this is light the startup sound; an indication that everything is working correctly...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 13, 2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by The Wolf
Not sure if I am understanding this, and while it sounds cool, it's not making sense to me. With the lid closed on top of the ambient light sensor, it should be detecting less light than it would if the lid were open. That would mean it would make the "snoring light" very dim with the lid closed and then brighter with the lid open (to counteract the effect of ambient light). Meh, don't know but I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight

fwiw, I have a little airline pillow that I put over the s.l. and usually mah saks or draws [/southern drawl] go on the power cord light.
When it's open, the light throbs dimly (I don't actually know whether the light sensors are used), and when it's closed, it always throbs more brightly (and definitely doesn't use the light sensors).

tooki

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
May 13, 2006, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Wolf

Apple thought of this. The computer knows the lid is shut and stops using the light sensor reading since it knows it will be wrong... very cool
David.

Forum Links
Forum Rules