Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What do you think is the worst movie ever?

What do you think is the worst movie ever? (Page 10)
davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by kaze0
Fight Club, Passion of the Christ, Office Space, and Citizen Kane
You are being sarcastic, I hope.

I've never seen Passion of the Christ (no interest whatsoever) but Office Space, while not high art, is hilarious. If you've ever worked in a cubical, you'd know.

As for Fight Club, it was different than most movies. That takes guts. Not typical Hollywood, for sure.

Citizen Kane is considered by many to be the greatest movie ever made. It certainly deserves at least some consideration for such an honor, considering the time it was made.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 01:42 PM

Pink Flamingos, hands down. It's so bad it's almost good.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Pink Flamingos, hands down. It's so bad it's almost good.
Oh no...
A family of rednecks and a pair of swingers do battle with one another for the rights to the title "The Filthiest People Alive."
haha

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2006, 01:51 PM

Citizen Kane is an awesome and GUTSY (if you know the story behind it) film.

The Passion is only getting stuck in the "worst movie" category because of the anti-religious element. The cinematography was excellent, the portrayal of the event was beautiful, and it incredibly moving as a whole for those with a religious background. Ebert and Roeper praised the movie (LINK), by the way.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Oh no...
A family of rednecks and a pair of swingers do battle with one another for the rights to the title "The Filthiest People Alive."
haha
"Oh, I love you Raymond. I love you more than anything in this whole world. I love you more than my own filthiness, more than my own hair color. Oh God, I love you more than the sound of bones breaking, the sound of death rattle--even more than the sound of my own sh*t do I love you, Raymond."

That's some Class A writing!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 17, 2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Citizen Kane is an awesome and GUTSY (if you know the story behind it) film.

The Passion is only getting stuck in the "worst movie" category because of the anti-religious element. The cinematography was excellent, the portrayal of the event was beautiful
Seeing someone tortured for an hour is beautiful?

Everyone I know that saw it hated it because it dragged on for so long by the end they were looking forward to him getting nailed.

Kinda like Titanic were everyone just went looking forward to the boat sinking.

"Hello, what have we here?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
Seeing someone tortured for an hour is beautiful?

Everyone I know that saw it hated it because it dragged on for so long by the end they were looking forward to him getting nailed.

Kinda like Titanic were everyone just went looking forward to the boat sinking.
He said that the portrayal was beautiful, not the event.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 02:26 PM

Well of the "event" sounds rather specific.

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ringo
Nope, not kidding, walked out half-way through. I rented the DVD later to watch the special effects. I know a lot of people love this movie, but I couldn't get past the dialog.
I think that was the shortcoming of the first movie, the dialogue just sucked (remember the blonde chick?) but the plot and sfx were awesome.

The second and third parts had better dialogue imo, but the plot went askew. It felt like the Wachowski Bros were just trying to wrap it up any way they could, when I expected a lot more social commentary.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2006, 02:29 PM

Thank you.

The entire Christian belief system depends heavily upon this utterly selfless act of sacrifice. When I watched the movie for the first time, I began crying about halfway through and didn't stop until the movie ended. I wasn't crying out of guilt, but out of appreciation. I even feel that the movie had an immediate impact on me and made me a better person. Keeping Jesus' sacrifice in mind, I worked a lot on my treatment of other people. Being given an impactful (and at times, startling)reminder of His love made me want to be a better Christian. It made me want to be more patient, more courteous, and generally more tolerant overall. I can't see how there could be anything wrong with that.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 02:49 PM

The Passion is only getting stuck in the "worst movie" category because of the anti-religious element. The cinematography was excellent, the portrayal of the event was beautiful, and it incredibly moving as a whole for those with a religious background. Ebert and Roeper praised the movie (LINK), by the way.
I have very mixed feelings about The Passion.

No doubt: beautifully shot, top-notch acting, haunting music....but loaded with problems.

Mary Magdalene was not the adulterous woman in Gospel of John.

Gratuitous violence. Not satisfied with an accurate Biblical account of the scourging and crucifixion, Gibson unnecessarily added:
1) being whipped and beat bloody by the temple guards
2) being hung off a bridge
3) having his arm dislocated
4) the eye-eating Raven

Jesus' interaction with Satan in the Garden is non-Biblical.

Presenting Herod as effeminate is non-historical and non-Biblical.

And, of course, continuing the senseless tradition of presenting Pilate as a sympathetic, philosophical soul instead of the cruel butcher he was.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; Jul 17, 2006 at 03:20 PM. )

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 02:58 PM

His love made me want to be a better Christian. It made me want to be more patient, more courteous, and generally more tolerant overall. I can't see how there could be anything wrong with that.
It made you want to or it did?

Without getting into a big fuss about this though Christianity is all about tolerance... as long as you follow their rules, step out and it is all about sin and fear tactics.

The words Christian and tolerance don't normally go together in a sentence.

You can also choose to be a tolerant person without having to join a religious group.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 03:07 PM

tolerance |ˈtäl(ə)rəns| noun 1 the ability or willingness to tolerate something, in particular the existence of opinions or behavior that one does not necessarily agree with

We may not believe that others religions are correct or true, but it's quite possible to live peacefully with one another. That's just like saying that atheists are tolerant...as long as you don't try and tell them you believe something else.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 03:25 PM

That's just like saying that atheists are tolerant...as long as you don't try and tell them you believe something else.

Atheists don't go around as a group saying they are tolerant yet pressure the government into things based on their beliefs.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 04:16 PM

Atheists don't go around as a group saying they are tolerant yet pressure the government into things based on their beliefs.
That's quite a bold statement. You'd really have to start defining things. There are people pressuring the government to remove 'under God' and 'in God we trust' from national sayings/currency.

OT: I've never managed to walk out of a movie in the theater. The Medallion is the closest I've come, but I couldn't bring myself to throw away the $6.50 I wasted on it, even though the time would have been better spent doing ANYTHING else.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 17, 2006, 04:47 PM

That's quite a bold statement. You'd really have to start defining things. There are people pressuring the government to remove 'under God' and 'in God we trust' from national sayings/currency.
I think that's a reasonable request, considering the gov't isn't supposed to be favouring any religious (or non-religious) group.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I think that's a reasonable request, considering the gov't isn't supposed to be favouring any religious (or non-religious) group.
That's quite true. But is it not atheists (partly, I'm sure there are members of other religious groups too) telling the government to do something based on their beliefs?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2006, 05:20 PM

what.. just individually?

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 05:22 PM

Good, because your religion should not be printed on my countries money when I pay taxes for it.

If this is also the worst thing you can think of think about how it would feel if you were discriminated against for being who you are.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 17, 2006, 05:26 PM

That's quite true. But is it not atheists (partly, I'm sure there are members of other religious groups too) telling the government to do something based on their beliefs?
True, but there is a subtle difference.

This is not athiests telling the government they should make everyone say that God does not exist.

It is a multifaceted group telling the government that the way things are now, it discriminates against certain individuals and groups. Nobody is suggesting that those who believe in God should be prevented from doing so.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2006, 05:33 PM

Oh wait, has anyone said Jaws 4? You know the one were the child of the shark goes after the family of the dude in the first and actually follows ones down to the Caribbean even though she flew. Seriously.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by kaze0
Fight Club was too predictable. My mom figured it out like a half hour into the flick. Office Space, cmon, it's like who wrote this crap. It's like a period piece in the late 90s, lameo!
I knew the twist before I went in, and I was still floored by it.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2006, 07:39 PM

Somebody needs to read the constitution.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 07:49 PM

I thought Fight Club was excellent until the "Project Mayhem" stuff, at which point the movie loses focus. I just couldn't "buy" the idea that Tyler could really turn those clowns into obedient zombies.

"I still can't think of anything." Great line.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2006, 08:13 PM

There is a certain group of people who needs others to lead their lives from them. Hence the plethora of cults, groups and clubs. Even - dare I say it - religion.

There are too many examples to think of where a charismatic person has gathered a group of obedient followers to mention. Hence this part was very plausible to me.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2006, 10:38 AM

Hostel. Sick sick sick.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2006, 12:16 AM

Big Mama's house 2.

We had to shut it off 1 hour into it as it was too painful.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Forum Links
Forum Rules