Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" battery not flush. Solution?

17" battery not flush. Solution?
capetown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2003, 08:06 AM

Hi,

My battery is not flush, it has a small lip between the battery and the bottom shell of the powerbook.

Does anybody know of a solution to make the battery sit flush with the shell of the powerbook.

Is is flush on one side, but not flush on the side with the release catches.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by capetown:
Hi,

My battery is not flush, it has a small lip between the battery and the bottom shell of the powerbook.

Does anybody know of a solution to make the battery sit flush with the shell of the powerbook.

Is is flush on one side, but not flush on the side with the release catches.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks
I noticed this too. It only bothered me for short time just after I got it. I have two batteries both don't seat 100% perfect. But, they do seat about 95% okay and I have found that the entire build quality is about like this. If you look long and hard at edges and detail you will see small, minor flaws. When you back away and consider the whole unit - it is really quite flawfless and incredibly well-built machine. So, yes, the batteries don't seat perfectly but overall - APPLE DID A GREAT JOB ON THIS BEAUTIFUL COMPUTER.

imho

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2003, 02:33 PM

Yeah the secret is to not look for the flaws because they do exist and they are legion. Unfortunately for someone as anal as me (and you perhaps), it's too late. All we can do is hope that one day it will drift far enough into our subconscious that we forget about them during the day and only have bad dreams about the 1mm gap under the plastic lining to the right of the latch, or the 2mm discrepancy in the battery fitment, or the 2mm gap under the rubber nub on the left side of the display....

spaced
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by uv23:
All we can do is hope that one day it will drift far enough into our subconscious that we forget about them during the day and only have bad dreams about the 1mm gap under the plastic lining to the right of the latch, or the 2mm discrepancy in the battery fitment, or the 2mm gap under the rubber nub on the left side of the display....
Hahahahahahahahahaha

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 03:12 AM

Now that you point this out, my AlBook is "defective", too. Same problem with extra battery, too... At least we don't have "white spots"!!!

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 14, 2003, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by dgbatchelor:
Now that you point this out, my AlBook is "defective", too. Same problem with extra battery, too... At least we don't have "white spots"!!!
White spots cross the line of what can be, should be expected "in spec" for a powerbook. But the battery gap, which I have in both my batteries too, is IMHO acceptable and not a true defect. It is a matter of personal opinion and this is a gray area. I like the build quality of this 17", for a mass produced item it is really quite nice and better by a wide margin than anything else out there I am aware of.

capetown  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2003, 07:04 PM

It doesn't really bother me, but I thought that if there was an easy solution I would give it a try so that my powerbook would be more perfect.

I noticed that the 12" - or was it the ibook - has rubber on the top corners of the screen so that when it is closed the gap does not close.

Do you think this would be a good idea on the 17".

I don't transport it much but I have noticed that the top corners of the aluminium surrounding the screen has signs of wear and tear?

What do you guys think?

Cheers

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by capetown:
I noticed that the 12" - or was it the ibook - has rubber on the top corners of the screen so that when it is closed the gap does not close.

Do you think this would be a good idea on the 17".

The 17" has two rubber stops next to the latch pairs to keep the spacing. Don't know if it really needs more than this.

For the TiBook, that is a different matter... The spacing is so close that LCD abrasion occurs from the keyboard... and the two little rubber stops (on the outer corners of the main body) have a habit of wearing so they don't help as much as they were intended...

I don't know about others, but I like the clean look of the 17"

capetown  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 08:31 AM

But does the gap close when you carry the powerbook, or when you push down on the screen when closed.

I am not sure what you are refering too - rubber stops. Can you send me a picture or something.

I must be missing something...

I will have a look when I get home.

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules