Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > External Antenna For New 15AL

External Antenna For New 15AL
omegahack
Dec 10, 2003, 02:56 PM

Is there even such a thing? I really need one so I can actually use my wireless connection...

And pick up the neighbors wireless connection .

Tomster
Senior User
Dec 10, 2003, 03:39 PM

No external antenna for the internal card without some serious hacking. However, you can use an Orinoco card in the PC card slot hooked up to an antenna.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

omegahack  (op)
Dec 10, 2003, 03:45 PM

do you need to do any weird stuff to get the orinoco card to work? like install some crazy driver that shuts off the airport for good or something?

Tomster
Senior User
Dec 10, 2003, 03:58 PM

Don't think so. Lucent/wavelan/orinoco (same company - just a series of mergers/spinoffs) made the card for the graphite base station. And the old airport cards were basically the same card without the antenna part. So as for drivers, you are alright. Think you have to add it as a new device under network settings, but that should be the extent of it. As for the antenna, remove the plug on the side of the card, and plug the thing in. www.hyperlinktech.com has some good stuff, but you need to buy $100 worth of stuff. ebay would be your best bet for a single antenna.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by omegahack:
do you need to do any weird stuff to get the orinoco card to work? like install some crazy driver that shuts off the airport for good or something?
If you've still got the graphite, then it would be more cost-effective to replace the graphite. I had a graphite with my Ti-400 and the reception was so bad I couldn't get decent reception in my living room 25 feet down the hall. So, I added a Lucent Range Extender antenna ($70) to the graphite, which didn't help but 5 feet (the main problem was with the Titanium 400...which Apple supposedly improved in later models, maybe??)

Anyway, I got an SMC Barricade, and reception improved enormously because the Barricade has external antennas. Most Mac publications admitted that 3rd party WAPs with external antennas had about a 20% greater range than the snow or the graphite with their internal antennas. What really made my airport range was getting a Cisco Aironet card. Areas where the Ti had no reception, I now have full reception with no loss of bandwidth!

You can find the 802.11b base stations for $20-$30 on sale at places like CompUSA . That's cheaper than an antenna! And, I presume you've re-seated the airport card and pushed the antenna plug all the way in??

dweeks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2003, 01:23 PM

I use this Sony card on my 800 TiBook, and love it.

<http://mymac.com/showarticle.php?id=674>

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by omegahack:
And pick up the neighbors wireless connection .
Maybe you just need to talk your neighbor into getting a better base station

Forum Links
Forum Rules