Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just got a 17 Inch Powerbook

Just got a 17 Inch Powerbook
KraziKid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2003, 11:52 PM

Well, I finally broke down and purchased a 17 inch powerbook. I got it with 1 GB of RAM and the 5400 RPM HDD. I purchased it for college, and am hoping it will last me a good 2 years without me feeling the need to upgrade. Now, I only have one question as of yet. Because I am the only person I know who has a 17 inch powerbook, let alone a mac, I decided the best place to ask would be a message board. When I put the PowerBook to sleep by closing the lid, and then opening it to turn it back on, I hear a noise coming from the area where the superdrive is (put my ear to it to double check). Now, there is no disc in there, but it sounds like either the superdrive, or something in that area is making the noise. Is this normal, or should i worry? Thanks for the help.

Also, I have noticed that I have one pixle stuck off. I only notice it if I look for it. Is it worth calling apple and trying to get a replacement, or should i lieve with one dead pixel, and not risk multiple? Also, what is the proper way to try and massage a dead pixel?
( Last edited by KraziKid; Dec 15, 2003 at 12:02 AM. )

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 12:01 AM

Congratulations. I'm sure the machine will last quite nicely for two years without feeling slow. From now on I think OSX will only get faster, not slower.

The sound you hear is normal. It's probably just the hard drive "coming back" after you've had the machine sleeping. (It could also be the DVD drive "coming back" especially if you left a disk in it, but is more likely the hard drive).

KraziKid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2003, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
Congratulations. I'm sure the machine will last quite nicely for two years without feeling slow. From now on I think OSX will only get faster, not slower.

The sound you hear is normal. It's probably just the hard drive "coming back" after you've had the machine sleeping. (It could also be the DVD drive "coming back" especially if you left a disk in it, but is more likely the hard drive).
Thanks. Like i said, there is no disc in the drive. I always thought that the HDD was on the left hand side, thats why I though the sound was a bit odd. I guess if it is normal I have nothing to worry about. Also, I love the full sized keyboard that these powerbooks come with, I can't see how people use some PC laptops with fractional sized keyboards. Since I got my Powerbook last Wednesday, I am finding myself using it more and more than my PC> It seems just as fast (Pentium 4 Northwood 2 GHz), and Mac OS X is so nice, especially because I have Linux experience, the command line is very easy to use.

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 01:52 AM

KraziKid --

Congrats on your new 17" PB. It is truly a nice engineering feat -- and oh, so elegant! Hopefully your single stuck pixel won't detract from the experience too much... (There are nearly 1.3M pixels on the screen... >0.999999 success rate isn't too bad...)

There are other threads on "pixel massaging"... I suggest you get to know your laptop a little better before moving up to this, though. Maybe it has preferences for certain scented oils, etc.

You still have some headroom for RAM (it'll go up to 2GB) and I'm sure that within a year or two that there will be larger hard drives for upgrades...

Who knows? By then the G5 PowerBook might even be available...

KraziKid  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 15, 2003, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by dgbatchelor:
KraziKid --

Congrats on your new 17" PB. It is truly a nice engineering feat -- and oh, so elegant! Hopefully your single stuck pixel won't detract from the experience too much... (There are nearly 1.3M pixels on the screen... >0.999999 success rate isn't too bad...)

There are other threads on "pixel massaging"... I suggest you get to know your laptop a little better before moving up to this, though. Maybe it has preferences for certain scented oils, etc.

You still have some headroom for RAM (it'll go up to 2GB) and I'm sure that within a year or two that there will be larger hard drives for upgrades...

Who knows? By then the G5 PowerBook might even be available...
I would have done the upgrade to 2 GC now, but given the fact that just one stick of 1 GB RAM for a laptop is disgustingly expensive, I figured 1 GB in total (2 512 sticks) is enough for now. Hopefully by the time, if I even need it, 1 GB sticks will be sub $200. I will most likely be keeping this laptop for 2.5 to 3 years. Just out of curiosity, what kind of resale value do mac's hold? Say in 2 years, I decide to sell mine, and get a new one (say G5 or whatever), how much do you figure I could get for my current one?

pugdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 02:04 AM

doesn't apple have a policy that if you have more than 7 dead pixels they will replace your LCD?

i hear that's better than other companies' policies

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2003, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by KraziKid:
Say in 2 years, I decide to sell mine, and get a new one (say G5 or whatever), how much do you figure I could get for my current one?
Time will tell... Resale price for 2 year old high-tech electronics? Hmmm... Well, at least you can enjoy it now...

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by KraziKid:
Say in 2 years, I decide to sell mine, and get a new one (say G5 or whatever), how much do you figure I could get for my current one?
just try to take care of it, avoid minor scratches and things as these things add up.. and this will help your resale value...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules