Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Returning Al15" for LCD repairs

Returning Al15" for LCD repairs
nick_coday
Dec 10, 2003, 12:19 AM

After an article appeared in Apple's Db about the whitespots issue and I had heard that people who had sent in theirs for repairs weren't having the spots re-appear, I decided to finally send in my baby.

I am nervous, but they say the turnaround is about 2-3 days after it is received.

I backed up all pmy personal data and should be receiving the box to send it back in tomorrow.

I am writing this posting on my Thinkpad Laptop. I now that is sacrilegious, but I cannot afford to without a computer for so long and the computers on campus (Univ of Oregon) are a joke!

Hopefully I will get my baby back soon without anymore problems!!

Other than backing up personal stuff and then trashing, anything else I should do before sending it in?
--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

cowboybop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 12:41 AM

Nice to hear their are fellow Eugenians out there. Also nice to hear that the turnaround is down to three of four days. I bought my powerbook in October, but haven't sent it in for LCD repair because I can't stand to be apart from my aluminum love. Too bad it's finals week, though!

Good Luck!

nick_coday  (op)
Dec 10, 2003, 12:57 AM

Yup, unfortunately. You at the U of O?

I have my one and only final tomorrow for SAPP 410: Drugs and Society.

Kinda cool class, but harder than I thought it would be.

Yeah, I have a PC Desktop and laptop, so I can afford to be without it for a while. However, I feel for those whom they don't have any other computer access.
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2003, 04:23 AM

i'm in the same boat as you cowboybebop, i've had mine for about a month now, and have had the spots for much of that time. but with this quarter almost over, i'm ready to send it in. oh wait...6 hour flight next week. nah, guess it'll have to be after my travels. who wants to be on a long flight without a little dvd action.

sascha_b
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 10:24 AM

You're really lucky guys. I bought my 15" AlBook on November 24th here in Germany and after two days I had the first white spots. I contacted Apple and they sent TNT Express to ship it to a service provider in the Netherlands. Now after two weeks (!!!) I recieved a DOA certificate that qualifies me to get a new one at my local store. BUT they told me that it might take up to 4 weeks (!!!!) to get a new one due to production shortage.

I'm really ENRAGED !!!

Sascha

nick_coday  (op)
Dec 10, 2003, 01:02 PM

OUCH!!

Sorry to hear that!!

I wish you good luck on getting a replacement ASAP!
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

nick_coday  (op)
Dec 12, 2003, 02:43 AM

I just got the box from Apple to send it back for repairs. I took some digital pictures and will drop it off tomorrow.

I will keep this thread up to date with current info, esp. when I get it back!
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

s4iscool
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2003, 10:56 AM

The turn around is from 2-4 days. My local repair guru said that Apple finally released the 15" lcds to repair centers. This means that your local repair center can order the parts for you, then do the repair in house.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2003, 10:37 AM

I don't know what the turn around in LCD repairs is for your neck of the woods, but here in Japan, the wait was 48 hours.

I had white spots on my screen. When I called Apple Japan Applecare, they were very helpful. They said it was a known problem and that they would fix it, but I should wait until screens become availible in large numbers. They called me 2 weeks later and said they could fix it now. I sent it in on Friday afternoon and it was returned Sunday morning.

The white spots are gone and the screen looks great... mostly. I say mostly because I know have a dead pixel. I realize that 1 dead/stuck pixel is well within industry standards for acceptable screens - however, it kinda bothers me because I sent in a computer with NO dead or stuck pixels and now I get it back with a dead pixel. That sucks!

24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

grumio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 09:22 AM

I just got the screen replaced on my 15in Al book today at the Apple centre in Melbourne. The service tech said he'd finally been advised that rev B screens were available without white spots. He ordered one in for me, called me in when it arrived, and a few hours to change it over, and no more white spots ! A happy customer.

grumio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 09:31 AM

I just got the screen replaced on my 15in Al book today at the Apple centre in Melbourne. The service tech said he'd finally been advised that rev B screens were available without white spots. He ordered one in for me, called me in when it arrived, and a few hours to change it over, and no more white spots ! A happy customer.

black_shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 03:49 PM

I just read the posting from grumio about taking in the PowerBook into a local Apple store to have the LCD replaced. I just called Apple and they told me that I would need to take it into an Apple authorized seller to have them ship it to Apple. He said this would take 5 to 7 days. Does this sound correct?

nick_coday  (op)
Dec 16, 2003, 04:01 PM

I'd call the local Apple Authorized dealer and ask them.

Of cours Apple is going to say take it to their stores to send back to them, gotta pay those techies!!
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2003, 11:47 PM

Got mine replaced today. Turnaround time? 20 minutes.

The advantages of having an Apple Authorized Service Center run by a reseller in the area. I showed them the problem late last week, they ordered the screen and said they would call when it came in. It did Monday, and I scheduled the repair for this afternoon. No downtime for me.

This is why I support my local resellers over the Apple stores. I doubt I could have set up a similar arrangement at one, and when I use my Powerbook for work, it's critical that I am not without my machine.
<This space under renovation>

dgbatchelor
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Drakino:
Got mine replaced today. Turnaround time? 20 minutes.

The advantages of having an Apple Authorized Service Center run by a reseller in the area. I showed them the problem late last week, they ordered the screen and said they would call when it came in. It did Monday, and I scheduled the repair for this afternoon. No downtime for me.

This is why I support my local resellers over the Apple stores. I doubt I could have set up a similar arrangement at one, and when I use my Powerbook for work, it's critical that I am not without my machine.
This is sweet. I don't know how I would volunteerly turn over my laptop for a discretionary fix... (I know it needs fixed SOMETIME, the timing is what is discretionary!)

[Actually, I had a more serious problem with my TiBook w/ SuperDrive... I got to the point where I couldn't write DVDs or CDs... But, I "lived" with my laptop everyday and couldn't part with TiBook until my new 17" AlBook showed up... Having support from local reseller would have been a much cleaner situation.]

Forum Links
Forum Rules