Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What Are Your Favourite Tech Toys?

What Are Your Favourite Tech Toys?
Salty
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 03:03 AM

OK, we're all Mac users here (aside from James if he's still kicking around) and Mac users tend to end up having a lot of toys. So, since I just got my new iPod which I'm really enjoying playing with (new 30 gigger love the screen!) I figure I'll ask for your top 5 most indispensable pieces of hardware.
So mine are:

1) 12 inch PowerBook
2) iPod (formerly the mini now my new 5G though I'm keeping the mini for the gym)
3) Wacom Graphire 3 tablet
4) AirPort express base station + stereo
5) I don't think I have a 5th one...

Some things that didn't make the list, my new Camcorder, external HD, old digital camera, TV and telephone. The Camera I barely use any more partially because I got really discouraged when I accidentally deleted 2 gigs of photos I'd taken in high school, and the camcorder I just got so I haven't been able to play with it much.

So yes, discuss your fave tech toys whatever they may be.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2005, 12:02 AM

The one's that I don't have yet, Power Mac and 30" Display.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2005, 12:10 AM

Really good scanners and printers.

Playing with high-end photo printers and a Minolta 5400 (drool.................) would be so much fun.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2005, 12:27 AM

1.) PowerBook G4 667 (DVI)
2.) Harmon/Kardon Soundsticks
3.) Canon Powershot Digital Elph S410
4.) iPod mini (Kermit®)
5.) Airport Express
6.) LaCie 52x32x52 External CD/RW
7.) Brother HL-2040 B&W Laser

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by wdlove
The ones I do have: a PowerMac and a 30" display
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2005, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by wdlove
In that case I'll say my Christmas lights that flash to iTunes and haven't been invented yet.

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 01:14 AM

I just dare anyone to mention sex toys - cause you know they gotta be on some people's list.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2005, 01:44 AM

It's interesting that the Airport Express has made your lists. I always thought that Apple's wireless base stations were ridiculously overpriced. When the Express came along, I thought that the pricing was improved, and Airtunes useful to a select few.

Are you Airport Express owners actually using the Airtunes thing? If not, knowing that you can get a perfectly usable wireless G router for well under $50, do you regret your purchase?

To those who did your homework and bought the $130 Express instead of a Linksys or Netgear router, what was your justification?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2005, 01:51 AM

It's amazing how addicted to gadgets we've become. The U.S. consumes several times more stuff than even China and India. It's astonishing to think about how much money is put into stuff that is soon tossed aside, for whatever reason - computers and just general gadgetry. In a way, at times I want to turn myself off from the world of gadgets and be more economical and thrifty in my lifestyle, perhaps my way of not adding to our mass consumption society.

Am I the only one that is not completely immersed in collecting iPods, cell phones, TVs, stereos, PDAs, gaming consoles, handheld gaming stuff, DVRs, new computer gear, etc.?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 03:29 AM

Computer, ipod, penknife and thats about it.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 03:58 AM

Am I the only one that is not completely immersed in collecting iPods, cell phones, TVs, stereos, PDAs, gaming consoles, handheld gaming stuff, DVRs, new computer gear, etc.?
Bad question to ask on this site. I'm thinking we're higher-than-usual consumers of gadgetry. My addictions, which the wife doesn't understand... Mobile phones. I have five, three of them high-end imports. Two are in hibernation in a closet, my wife uses one (and enjoys it no more than the $99 "free" phone you get with your contract) and I switch between the two remaining ones. And still I'm not satisfied. I also have three iPods and all three are pretty much collecting dust, as I no longer have a long commute to work. Does that stop me from wanting the hot new iPod with video? No. You never know when you'll wanna catch that episode of Battlestar Galactica or Lost you missed while waiting for your number to be called at the DMV. Hey, it could happen!

I'm still waiting for that one device to rule them all, in case any manufacturers are listening. I want my iTunes music as easy and as useful as it is on an iPod, a phone in a cutting edge form factor with Nokia's ease-of-use and a camera that can take non-embarrassing pictures. It doesn't have to be 6 megapixels, but a useable 3 would be great. Too bad Nokia's N91 is married to wintel.

[/hijack (sorry)]
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by paul w
I just dare anyone to mention sex toys - cause you know they gotta be on some people's list.
You better like your gift then, punk.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2005, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
It's amazing how addicted to gadgets we've become. The U.S. consumes several times more stuff than even China and India. It's astonishing to think about how much money is put into stuff that is soon tossed aside, for whatever reason - computers and just general gadgetry.
While I do agree that the conspicuous consumption to which we have become accustomed is problematic, it makes sense that the US consumes several times more than those more populous developing countries. The middle classes in China and India are still in their incipient forms and simply do not have the money to consume as the industrialized powers do. A more apt comparison of relative consumption would be between the US and Canada or the US and western European countries.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

DarwinX
Dec 22, 2005, 12:07 PM

1. PowerBook 12" 1.25GHz
  2. iPod 4G 40GB
  3. Motorola e815 cell phone
  4. D-Link Wireless Router
  5. PS2

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2005, 12:28 PM

Hmmm.

iPod
PSP
PS2
Cellphone
Digital Camera

sworthy
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 01:12 PM

It's interesting that the Airport Express has made your lists. I always thought that Apple's wireless base stations were ridiculously overpriced. When the Express came along, I thought that the pricing was improved, and Airtunes useful to a select few.

Are you Airport Express owners actually using the Airtunes thing? If not, knowing that you can get a perfectly usable wireless G router for well under $50, do you regret your purchase?

To those who did your homework and bought the $130 Express instead of a Linksys or Netgear router, what was your justification?
After doing my homework, I went for an express myself (soon after they were announced). I use airtunes all of the time, and without this feature would not have purchased it. Also, it's bridging capabilities are quite nice (though it doesn't always play nice with other WAPs). The price hasn't come down at all since it was introduced, but Apple might be waiting for a wireless video type replacement?

broxy5
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2005, 01:28 PM

I use my express every waking minute of every day, and it's the best! I already had a D-Link router, so the express is just for tunes. I bought it used with a whole bunch of other crap for $85.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005, 01:29 PM

...i got an AirPort Express for $99 on black friday. anyhoo, my list:

1. 12" pb, 22" cd, clamshell, a/e
2. Canon SD10 digital camera
3. New Jetta

still pending:
• RAZR V3i (iTunes)
• Baretta 9mm pistol
• 42" plasma tv
( Last edited by teknopimp; Dec 22, 2005 at 01:42 PM. )

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 22, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
still pending:
• RAZR V3i (iTunes)
• Baretta 9mm pistol
• 42" plasma tv
I'd just add those to your list, nice stuff.
ice

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 04:12 PM

Nope, I'm with you that one. I don't want a cell phone, an iPod, a bigger TV, a stereo, a PDA, a gaming console, handheld gaming stuff, a DVR, or any new computer gear. That's just more "stuff" to me.

I got a buddy of mine this cool game for christmas... not anything electronic, but it's magnetic, so I think that should count. Check it out, it's called Polarity:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/786f/

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2005, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by demograph68
You better like your gift then, punk.
Yes, master of the kinkyness.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2005, 12:53 PM

1. Powermac
2. 30" Cinema
3. Treo 650
4. iPod
5. Powerbook

My newest gadget is the one I'm playing with the most lately, a Konica Minolta MAXXUM 5D

Y3a
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2005, 01:16 PM

G5
12" Powerbook
Fons CQ30 Turntable/SME III/Grace F9e Super
Crown PSA-2
3 pairs of KEF 104aB's
Sony 55" Wega/DirecTV high Def receiver
Powershot A95
Final Cut Evpress HD

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows
Really good scanners and printers.

Playing with high-end photo printers and a Minolta 5400 (drool.................) would be so much fun.
I can tell you that the combination of OS 10.4 and the Minolta 5400 is anything but drool. It's awefull. Full res scans mean pushing the scan button, not touching your computer for the next hours and hoping it doesn't lock up or produce semi garbled images. It used to work good in 10.3 now it's somewhat acceptable for medium res scans.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2005, 01:24 PM

Only 2 new "toys in the past year"

My Pioneer DVR-109 is certainly the most useful toy, but I'm going to give the edge to the photo iPod......which I have yet to put a singular photo on.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2005, 03:46 PM

I have a regular airport basestation (g one) and an airport express. they are bridged into one network and i use airtunes all the time.

a friend came round to my house with his new ibook and wanted me to hear a song. he started playing it in itunes and i told him to change that option that says "computer" to "living room." the look on his face was worth the price of the airport express. he's going to buy one very soon.

my list though.

1. new 17" powerbook.
2. 60gig 5g ipod
3. digital camera
4. psp

i can't really think of a 5th one but i think airport fits in there.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2005, 04:44 PM

We certainly enjoy all our toys.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2005, 04:58 PM

12" powerbook
40gig iPod
logitech mx duo (wireless mouse and keyboard)
dell 20" LCD
bottle opener
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2005, 09:14 PM

Braun AdvancedPower 900 electric toothbrush (Entry level. For brushing teeth)
iCurve
Dell FPW2405 monitor
External hard disks for backup.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2005, 09:56 PM

obviously 15 inch Powerbook
Olympus E-300
fifth generation 60GB iPod
Westone UM1 IEMs
iamwhor3hay

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2005, 12:51 AM

Nope... I've got a cheap (read: came free with contract) Samsung cell phone, a POS Toshiba laptop, and a 4G iPod (sans color), and that's about it. Granted, I plan on grabbing either an iBook or an iMac eventually, but other than that I have very little desire for gadgets. I don't even own a TV at present, and don't know when I'll ever invest in one.

Strange... now that I think about it, I'm not quite sure why I post on a gadget-centric website when I'm so against buying them for myself. Weird...

Oh, back on topic:

- Aforementioned 20 gig 4G iPod
- Wireless router for my laptop
- Fun pocket knife that's small enough to fit on my keychain
- Samsung x475 cell phone
- Microsoft wireless notebook mouse

That's right, my laptop doesn't make the list. God do I hate this thing...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2005, 02:01 AM

I saw a USB snowman at my local electronics store, and a USB desk lamp, and a fun USB flash drive shaped like sushi, and my personal favorite: The USB hello kitty.

Bandit240
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 24, 2005, 12:30 PM

-12'' Powerbook
-iPod 20gb Photo
-1978 Datsun 620 truck
-Newton Messagepad 120

Thats pretty much my list, i dont own or want a cellphone. No need for a faster/newer computer than the one ive got. Tvs and that stuff dont bother me since i rarley watch them.(My tv right now is a 15 year old Zenith 15'') Plus when we get things sorted and move on the boat were looking at buying, there will be no room for alot of extras.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2005, 12:45 PM

1) My 15" PowerBook & 6 Mbit DSL through Airport
2) My new wide-screen LCD TV
3) Stereo System (Marantz Amp, JBL Speakers...)
4) My 2nd Gen iPod Mini (Silver)
5) Panasonic DivX DVD Player

Yet to be added:

6) Airport Express "Video" (Hopefully coming at the MWSF in Jan. )
7) AK 47 assault rifle
8) A LCD Video Beamer
9) 23" Cinema Display
10) 4 GHz IntelMac™ with 4 GB RAM and Adobe CS 3 installed

There. I think that pretty much covers it.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
still pending:
• RAZR V3i (iTunes)
• Baretta 9mm pistol
• 42" plasma tv
Why is it that nobody can spell "Beretta"? It's Italian, not Martian .
Anyway, what model are you going for? M92 series?
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2005, 01:58 PM

By the way my iPod 5G has now replaced my mini as a fave tech toy .

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Elf
Why is it that nobody can spell "Beretta"? It's Italian, not Martian .
Anyway, what model are you going for? M92 series?
92 Compact L Type M

and/or Smith & Wesson Model 627 Revolver

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 12:25 PM

I agree. They don't even have 5 Ethernet ports (4 Machine, one WAN) like our cheapo router does! They do have
  • Print Sharing
  • Network Extending
  • Modem
  • Intuitive UI
  • AirTunes (Express only)
  • Small shape (Express only,) cool looks
So I guess unless you need four ethernet ports they could be practical and though overpriced, they do have many advantages over normal routers, plus the usual Apple fit & finish.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2006, 10:38 PM

In this order:

1. my blue Prius
2. my PowerBook 17"
3. 23" cinema display
4. my Nokia 6620
5. my sony S3 camera

Forum Links
Forum Rules