Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro - Function Key Issues

Macbook Pro - Function Key Issues
sworthy
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2006, 09:51 PM

I just received my MacBook Pro and after upgrading from 12" powerbook I'm having some issues with the backlit keyboard function. I realize that I can change the keys to control software or hardware features, but ideally, I'd like it to do both. Hardware for the volume and screen brightness, and software on the expose keys. Is there anyway to solve this?

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2006, 10:24 PM

Isn't that the default, though? It is on my powerbook.

edit - apologies, I see you already have a powerbook.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2006, 10:25 PM

I'm not quite sure I understand what your problem is. If you check out the Dashboard & Exposé Preference panel, it gives you more options for keys to use for Exposé. And if you check in the Keyboard Shortcuts pane of the Keyboard & Mouse Preference panel, you have more options for setting keyboard commands for Exposé and other programs.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

sworthy  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2006, 11:22 PM

sorry for not being clear. I know I can use other keys, but I like using the F9 and F10 keys for expose as they're ingrained shortcuts. I don't like having to use two keys. Any ideas?

krove
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2006, 12:00 AM

Well, in that preference pane, you can click the box that says "Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features" to swap the default hardware-software controls. That way, Exposé is accessible with a single button and the hardware controls (display brightness, volume, keyboard brightness) are accessible with Fn-F#.

I wish it could be split. I'd like to have just the keyboard brightness controls be Fn-F8-F10 and the other half control hardware features without the Fn key. That way my most used functions (volume, brightness, and exposé) are all accessible without using two-key combos.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2006, 09:47 AM

It really is idiotic that you can't access brightness, volume and exposé with a single key stroke, all because of the utterly useless keyboard brightness control. Really unhelpful design decision. Someone should be able to produce a hack though right? /hopes

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by krove

I wish it could be split. I'd like to have just the keyboard brightness controls be Fn-F8-F10 and the other half control hardware features without the Fn key. That way my most used functions (volume, brightness, and exposé) are all accessible without using two-key combos.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that is a little inconvenience. I can understand your frustration.

I was just looking at this. I didn't know you could get the Windows key on the Mac.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

tie
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2006, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by mintcake View Post
It really is idiotic that you can't access brightness, volume and exposé with a single key stroke, all because of the utterly useless keyboard brightness control. Really unhelpful design decision. Someone should be able to produce a hack though right? /hopes
This is an old thread.. Any better solutions now?

ONG
Nov 20, 2006, 09:25 PM

i have an old mac that's running speed doubler. it has a feature of assigning macros to each of the func keys.... can this be done on OSX?

tie
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 02:24 AM

Sorry, I don't know, ONG. I'm surprised Apple crippled exposé so soon, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules