Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Green iPhone Applications

Green iPhone Applications
RocketHippo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2009, 02:39 PM

My business partner and I have decided to write iPhone Applications to help make ends meet. We came up with the idea of creating “Green” percussion instruments for the iPhone. In other words, they are virtual instruments that use no Earth resources to perpetuate (no metals mined, no trees killed). We have created the following applications, all currently available in the iTunes App Store:

Green Tambourine
Green Maracas
Green Cowbell
Green Triangle
Green Cymbals (this one seems to be a favorite !)
Green Bongos (this one too seems to be a favorite !)

We feel very strongly about green causes, and want to do our part to contribute. We have decided to dedicate 10% of the revenue from the sales of these applications to green causes. We have started a Facebook Group called Rocket Hippo (the name of our iPhone Entertainment Group) available at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=53696258853, and we are soliciting comments for where others feel our donations are best distributed. Our website is at http://www.rockethippo.com .

We believe that the extraordinary popularity of the iPhone is a great way to help generate the financial resources so many green causes continually need to keep growing and moving forward. We hope to be able to use this to the advantage of such a noble cause, and to help us make ends meet
Giving Back To The Earth, One App At A Time.
http://www.rockethippo.com

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2009, 01:39 AM

What does your spam have to do with Mac development?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2009, 01:47 AM

I'm pretty sure that the materials involved in building an iPhone would be less green than the materials for those instruments.

Not to mention the fossil fuels that were burned to generate the electricity you have to use to charge your iPhone's batteries to run those apps.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

RocketHippo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2009, 02:49 AM

Hmmm...I see that I have somehow upset some of you. I guess some of you all feel somewhat self righteous in one respect or other.

I am fully aware that my iPhone uses fossil fuels to charge batteries, and what not. I am not really sure I could use any phone which does not use fossil fuels somewhere down the line. I guess I could use tin cans and string, but that would mean I would have to use fossil fuels to make the cans...and the string.

I guess we live in a world where no good deed goes unpunished. I am not profiting handsomely off of my applications (in fact, I am making very little), but I AM dedicating a portion of what I earn to green causes, and as a developer it makes me feel good to use the popular platform the iPhone has given me to help out where I can.

I also recycle, garden organically, use no pesticides, refrain from driving often, use low power appliances, and shop at markets that support sustainable agriculture.

I am very curious, what do any of you do, and why does my attempt at giving back upset you ?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2009, 05:46 AM

The problem for me is this bit:
Originally Posted by RocketHippo View Post
In other words, they are virtual instruments that use no Earth resources to perpetuate (no metals mined, no trees killed).
Which is just incredibly silly considering you're programming both on and for machines whose environmental and societal impact so far surpasses the production of a cymbal (which, incidentally, is a whole industry of artisanship in addition to the mass-produced ones).

The rare metals required in the production of a single iPhone involve the destruction of quite a bit of forest, the removal of a dozen tons of earth, the exploitation of hundreds of (literally) dirt-poor people, and the funding of at least one bloody civil war.

And playing your game requires electricity.

This bit, however:
We feel very strongly about green causes, and want to do our part to contribute. We have decided to dedicate 10% of the revenue from the sales of these applications to green causes. We have started a Facebook Group called Rocket Hippo (the name of our iPhone Entertainment Group) available at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=53696258853, and we are soliciting comments for where others feel our donations are best distributed.
is perfectly fine, and I applaud you for doing it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2009, 05:50 AM

P.S.: Registering only to post information about applications you're selling (considering you're *not* donating 90% of your revenues) will often come across as spam. Don't let that surprise you.

P.P.S.: This belongs in the iPhone forum, not the developer forum.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2009, 10:21 AM

I was going to ignore this blantant advertising and I understand the concept of your products. But it really feels pushed to be 'green' based on buying these products. If I really want to go green its about a lifestyle change. If you help me change like the GoodGuide or ShopGreen apps by finding those alternatives that seems better than selling a digital instrument. Its a big stretch and ignores the reason we play instruments in particular (for a physical and aural experience).

You may get people buying your apps, and you may indeed donate 10% but why wouldn't someone who wishes to 'go green' simply donate their own $0.10 to their green charity or nonprofit of choice. It seems more like a bandwagon approach that is hardly sympathetic to the need for change.

Wish you luck, you're just not hitting my mark and the forums here frown on marketing products directly via your type of posting. You'd likely make more hits by using a viral media/social messaging avenue to get people interested in your 'products'.

RocketHippo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2009, 11:03 AM

I have to agree with what you are all saying. At first I was a bit concerned, because I was wondering what I was doing "wrong", but I now understand that the way the message is presented is as important as the intentions of the presenter.

I agree that donating $0.10 for green causes is indeed noble and a good "bypass". I am hoping that my applications will stand on their own merit, and I can use that as a means to help deliver some financial assistance to causes which may otherwise never see the $0.10 from someone.

I am trying to change starting right here, in my own four walls. It really is not that hard, and I am no "tree hugger", not by any stretch of the imagination. I just try to make better green living choices, and it does not necessarily mean sacrificing anything, nor does it have to cost me more than a non-green choice would. It is a mindset which leads to positive action.

I could just as well have decided to donate 10% of the proceeds from a "Fart Application" to green causes. I chose the idea of "Green Instruments" because it seemed more appropriate. I now realize that I position myself for intense scrutiny by such actions. I am okay with that, because I KNOW my intentions are genuine, but proving that may be impossible in some situations.

I appreciate the feedback. It is indeed useful, and thank you for not simply insulting me

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2009, 11:20 AM

I am no "tree hugger", not by any stretch of the imagination.
NB: "Tree hugger" is not an insult in anywhere on earth, outside of the United States.

Good luck!

RocketHippo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2009, 07:19 PM

Well, it turns out that mentioning the support of charitable causes is a violation of Apple's App Store Policy. We got a call from an App Store Review Team member telling us we could not mention anything about charitable donations in the App Store description or in the application itself.

I find it odd, since Steve Jobs is claiming that Apple is "committed" to becoming greener, but it is probably just a blanket policy to avoid controversy altogether.

We are, however, permitted to post our "cause" to our website and elsewhere.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2009, 08:18 PM

RocketHippo-

Please take this in the spirit that it is meant; advertisements left by brand new members are usually considered spam, even if it is not left by a spambot. Your post would be better received if you were an established member of our community.

Also, don’t take the comments personally, especially if you’re promoting an enterprise. To accuse us of being self righteous is bad form in light of the fact that you’re soliciting the forum for business.

Your message would also benefit from being posted in a relevant forum like the iPhone forum for example. Unfortunately, no one reads this forum, and your post has nothing to do with Mac development.

I support the idea of downplaying the green aspect of these apps. To some, the premise of bongos and cowbells being harmful to the environment is a bit a a stretch.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2009, 08:25 PM

I find it odd, since Steve Jobs is claiming that Apple is "committed" to becoming greener
I’ll assume you have every intention of donating a portion to charity, but how would Apple verify this?

Prohibiting the possibility of fraud seems like a sound policy to me.

RocketHippo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2009, 08:41 PM

I understand, and thank you for being respectful

Pretz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2009, 09:32 PM

Why does everyone have to so mean to people who accidentally do something when they don't mean it? If you guys have nothing good to say than don't say anything at all. If there is a problem with rockethippo's posting then the mods will take care of it.

I think that is a good idea rockethippo. I have bought the cymbals and bongos. I too try to go green but so far not much has worked out. I hope you make more great apps soon.
"A rich man's joke is always funny."

RocketHippo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2009, 09:54 PM

Pretz, thank you for sticking up for me. I truly appreciate that and the fact that you are supporting my efforts.

I am actually not at all upset at anyone on this forum. Truth be told, they are right in their assessment of my actions. I can honestly see their perspective. I am a newcomer, and my posting would be better welcomed if I had been here for a while.

I now face new concerns with what I am doing. For example, I need to have some way of being audited for my charity. How does anyone really know if I am going to go through with my promise ? It is easy from my perspective to provide the sales reports, but who do I provide them to ? In my excitement at being given the opportunity to become an App developer and my zeal for green causes, I failed to think this through.

The comments on this board have actually helped me "wake up" to reality, and everyone has truly been more respectful than even I perhaps would have been, if the tables were turned

Forum Links
Forum Rules