Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > unlocked iPhone + t-mobile prepaid + wifi browsing?

unlocked iPhone + t-mobile prepaid + wifi browsing?
spide
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2009, 04:21 PM

I'd like to buy an unlocked iPhone and use it with a t-mobile prepaid sim card. I'm not interested in hacking it to make data services work but I want to use wi-fi to access google apps. Anyone else tried this? Does it work?

bluedog
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2009, 04:39 PM

I've done it with AT&T prepaid phone sim, and put another tmobile sim in and the phone functioned just fine after the jailbreak and unlock with either sim. This is with a 2G phone. If you plan on using it with tmobile don't pay for a 3g phone because you won't get much extra since you are not using the highspeed data.

As for any specifics on the process, google as the forums are not a place to get that kind of assistance.

spide  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2009, 05:05 PM

thanks - yeah, I'm not looking for help in how to do it - just wondered if it works or if the iphone is somehow locked down

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2009, 11:17 PM

You could wait until next year when AT&T's exclusivity contract runs up and just do the whole thing through T-Mobile without worrying about hacks.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2009, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
You could wait until next year when AT&T's exclusivity contract runs up and just do the whole thing through T-Mobile without worrying about hacks.
I don't think this is certain. Many assume now that this will open things up, but IIUC so far it's not at all determined that in a year from now the iPhone will suddenly become carrier unlocked. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say this is just a guess right now.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I don't think this is certain. Many assume now that this will open things up, but IIUC so far it's not at all determined that in a year from now the iPhone will suddenly become carrier unlocked. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say this is just a guess right now.

I have a iphone 3GS and an old iphone 2G. I got a free "courtesy sim" from AT&T and can use the old 2G with wifi and skype to make free calls. Also works great as an ipod "touch"

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2009, 03:34 AM

The unlocking of older devices after the initial contract has run out and subsidies have been recuperated is dealt with by every carrier pretty much on their own terms. It has nothing to do with carrier exclusivity and new iPhones. So I fail to see what connection you made between your experience and the stuff I wrote that you quoted.

Forum Links
Forum Rules