Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Trouble with the display not going to sleep.

Trouble with the display not going to sleep.
wcodysnow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2002, 04:09 PM

I'm pretty sure that since the recent update to OS X 10.1.5 something has caused my new iMac not to put the display to sleep after being inactive for the time set in the Energy Saver. I have also noticed that the screensaver is acting the same way.

I never shut down the system so I depend on the display to put itself to sleep when ever I walk away. If there is anyone out there that can help please let me know. Thanks!

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2002, 08:52 PM

Hey Cody,
Try zapping you PRAM (<apple>+<optio>+<p>+<r> on restart and listen for three chimes... Also, try running some disk utilities on the machine...
good luck!
dave

jfischetti
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2002, 11:15 AM

There is also a documented bug that if a firewire drive is disconnected from the mac it will no longer automatically go to sleep. A restart is needed to reset the issue

I am having the sleep problem, and have a firewire drive but have not disconnected it. I wonder if the problem is also evident if the firewire drive (which is plugged into another mac on the network) is unmounted off the imac causes the same problem...

I will research and keep you informed....
"....and the capital of Nebraska is Lincoln!"

Glenn Emond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2002, 02:24 PM

Had the same problem before installing the 10.2.1 update. G4 iMac now goes to sleep like it should but running the slide show screen saver still causes lags in mouse control on the doc. Also had firewire hard drive problem that was also fixed by the update.
G Emond

Forum Links
Forum Rules