Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Software Update thinks im running OS X server & ask me to update iPod

Software Update thinks im running OS X server & ask me to update iPod
RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2002, 09:27 PM

for some reason today. after i rebooted. during login. It says OS X Server. i never installed server. then the Software update ask me to install OS X Server update 10.2.2 & iPod update.

why does it ask me for Server update? since i dont have an iPod, i dont need to install it right?

anyone else get this?
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

OpenStep
Senior User
Dec 12, 2002, 09:54 PM

I got the iPod update here too, i just made the update inactive to get it out of the way. Its wierd all of a sudden it shows up as server... have you edited the config file to make journaling show up in disk utility and make it think its OS X Server?

RMXO  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2002, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by OpenStep:
I got the iPod update here too, i just made the update inactive to get it out of the way. Its wierd all of a sudden it shows up as server... have you edited the config file to make journaling show up in disk utility and make it think its OS X Server?
I recently upgraded to journaling, but i did that via command line. dont rem editing any config files to make Jag think its a server.

would i benefit upgrading to server? would i have actual functions of a server if i do this upgrade?

yes, it is weird all of the sudden that Jag thinks its a server. maybe i shouldnt have rebooted after 6 days of uptime...
( Last edited by RMXO; Dec 12, 2002 at 10:32 PM. )
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Cipher13
Dec 12, 2002, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by RMXO:

I recently upgraded to journaling, but i did that via command line. dont rem editing any config files to make Jag think its a server.

would i benefit upgrading to server? would i have actual functions of a server if i do this upgrade?

yes, it is weird all of the sudden that Jag thinks its a server. maybe i shouldnt have rebooted after 6 days of uptime...
Software Update identifies itself by the presence of the "ServerVersion.plist" plist, I think.

There will be little advantage. You'll have limited options in the system prefs sharing pane, you'll have a gui for journaling (just an on/off button, really), and you'll have some of the Server apps; however, their functionality will be limited, most likely. I dunno. I'd try it, but I have OSX Server on here already, so...

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 03:53 AM

Heh. I got the message and I updated. I don't have an iPod either. I just wanted to be up to date.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2002, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by Jasoco:
Heh. I got the message and I updated. I don't have an iPod either. I just wanted to be up to date.
I have an iPod and its running 1.2.1 but I got the same update message as well. I told SU to get it anyway...it didn't do anything.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by agasthya:

I have an iPod and its running 1.2.1 but I got the same update message as well. I told SU to get it anyway...it didn't do anything.
Originally posted by Jasoco:
All it does is download the iPod updater to your Utilities folder. It doesn't change any system files. If you don't have an iPod or already have updated your iPod to 1.2.1, then you're just wasting your time and some disk space.
Vandelay Industries

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2002, 01:52 PM

Turn off journaling. This is an after effect of turning journaling on in OS X <non server> edition.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2002, 03:25 PM

I got the iPod update notification too, but made it inactive.

rworne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2002, 06:59 PM

for some reason today. after i rebooted. during login. It says OS X Server. i never installed server. then the Software update ask me to install OS X Server update 10.2.2 & iPod update.

why does it ask me for Server update? since i dont have an iPod, i dont need to install it right?

anyone else get this?
Once when I ran SW update between 10.1.5 and 10.2, I got an off list of programs to update. One was the iPod software I was intending on downloading, the others were some iMac formware upgrade utility, and one other odd iMac file.

The odd thing about it was I was running a DP800 Quicksilver.I quit the app and ran update again and I got the proper file selection. Very odd.
--
My menagerie:
NeXT Cube, NeXT Turbocolor,
Daydream, G4 800DP,
Dual USB iBook, iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules