Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > did the DVI's have the problems when it was 1st released?

did the DVI's have the problems when it was 1st released?
RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2002, 12:38 AM

im curious if the DVI's model had problems when it was 1st released like how the PBSD are having? i didnt get mine til Oct 02 & it came with zero problems.

did Apple use cheaper parts on the new PBs hence the price cut difference? is that a possiblity since a lot of ppl are having so much probs with their PBs?

guess im bored & curious......
( Last edited by RMXO; Dec 17, 2002 at 05:07 AM. )
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2002, 01:30 AM

The DVI's had less problems. Apple isn't using "cheap" components in the TiBook. It's the best computer (or piece of hardware, for that matter) they make. This release has had a few problems, but they're gone now.

k2director
Senior User
Dec 17, 2002, 04:29 AM

I think it's a bit premature to say that the problems people experienced with new Tis (fans, etc.) are gone. It seems a bit early to tell. I know people who have gotten replacement Tis as late as Friday, and there are still problems.

Sean, you shouldn't get in the habit of speaking as if you are Apple Computer itself. You've been right about some things, and I give you credit for that. But you've also been wrong about other things, and it's left some people disappointed in you or resentful...largely because you tend to speak with such authority.

Until you have a 100%, dead-on track record, you might want to spin things with a bit less certainty. That, or be prepared to look bad (not to mention unnecessarily misleading people) when you turn out to be wrong...

Anyway, back on topic: the original DVI models didn't seem to have these quality control issues right off the bat. The biggest problem I remember was that a bunch of S Video adapters were left out of boxes (mine included, and I never got around to phoning in for a replacement).

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2002, 08:08 PM

They're gone. I'm sure.

While I respect your opinion, the fact remains my track record is nearly perfect. This is because I have access to some insider information that I graciously share. Therefore, I am only led to believe you contest my nonexistent "authority" out of insecurity.

To name a few examples, I've been dead-on about the latest Power Macs, the Xserve, and I only had the date wrong on this release.

That's not the issue. I'm saying with certainty that machines produced after week 49 have corrected the fan issues completely. Most earlier machines didn't have them, either. Take into perspective that people with functioning PowerBooks tend not to hang out at troubleshooting boards. I believe iBorg's PowerBook comes from an earlier batch in week 46. It's functioning perfectly without the fan bug.

In clarification, I am not saying that all machines purchased today are flawless. I'm stating that most machines didn't have the problems in the first place, and that machines that have been made recently do not have the problems whatsoever.

k2director
Senior User
Dec 18, 2002, 02:03 PM

Insecurity�.hmmm, you may have something there, Sean. I�ll have to see my therapist about that�thanks for the tip!

But while you�ve got your psychoanalyst hat on, you might also reflect on this: do you really share all of your insider information simply because you�re so gracious, as you say, or could it be that you also crave attention, and love showing off what you know? Or don�t know, as the case may be�if your �insider� was always accurate, we�d have no SuperDrives in the new Tis, but we�d all be admiring G4 Ibooks right now�and you�d have a few more dollar bills in your pocket.

You may or may not be right on this�either way, your comments needed clarification to be useful (it doesn�t help anyone to say �the problems are fixed� when they can very well buy a bad machine, due to what�s in the channel or inventory). But in general, allowing that you **might** be wrong would go a long way--especially when giving people information they may use to make large purchases. Given your last comment, though,I doubt that concept will get through. Still, it�s your life to lead, my friend, so carry on!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2002, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the commentary.

The iBook was a test to see how many other sites would take off what is being said on these boards. Someone figured that out, too. It's an unreasonable prediction.

The SuperDrives were last minute. As evinced by the production shortfall, it could have gone either way. As you may or may not know, the drives are standard notebook components that can be swapped out.

I can say "the problems are fixed" with credibility. I'm stating fact as I know it. Even scientific fact can be questioned. I find it irrational to question the fact that the sky is normally blue, though.

I am sure the problems are gone on machines being produced now. Contest that if you please.

Can you say that your motivation to contest my "authority" is purely altruistic? Do you just want your fair share of the "attention?" On that same train of thought, is craving attention bad? Are we not naturally inclined seek attention?

I might like the "attention" I get for being credible, but at the same time, how valuable is attention from people I will never meet and who I can never hope to get anything back from?

Why do we help each other, anyway? Why do people send money to starving people in Somalia?

k2director
Senior User
Dec 18, 2002, 06:25 PM

yada yada yada....

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2002, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by k2director:
yada yada yada....
Seconded.

Forum Links
Forum Rules