Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > cant eject CD tray on iBook 800

cant eject CD tray on iBook 800
RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 03:20 AM

my GF finally took the Apple plunge. she finally decided to pick up an iBook after going through hell with Apple.

her problem is she cant eject the CD tray on her iBook. she tried pressing F12 & holding it down for a period of time. only way for her to eject is to use a paperclip. when she first booted the laptop, she set the keyboard layout to Canada-US. keyboard layout should have nothing to do with the Eject button right? anyone have this problem before?

since she got the iBook last nite she hasnt updated her system yet, since she doesnt have a router to connect to the net yet. will have to wait til morning for her to update her system at her dad's house.

we are gonna try updating the system tomorrow, if she still has this problem after the update then she will take it to the store she got the iBook from.....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2002, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by RMXO:
my GF finally took the Apple plunge. she finally decided to pick up an iBook after going through hell with Apple.

her problem is she cant eject the CD tray on her iBook. she tried pressing F12 & holding it down for a period of time. only way for her to eject is to use a paperclip. when she first booted the laptop, she set the keyboard layout to Canada-US. keyboard layout should have nothing to do with the Eject button right? anyone have this problem before?

since she got the iBook last nite she hasnt updated her system yet, since she doesnt have a router to connect to the net yet. will have to wait til morning for her to update her system at her dad's house.

we are gonna try updating the system tomorrow, if she still has this problem after the update then she will take it to the store she got the iBook from.....
does the drive make any sound when pressing F12?
does it work alright except for this problem?

milhouse
Senior User
Dec 20, 2002, 03:07 PM

What OS is she using?

You always have the option to boot to Open Firmware and open the CD tray this way and to reset the OpenFirmware to see if that helps.

Hold down the apple + option + O + F keys as the iBook starts up. You'll boot to a black screen with text. Let go of the keys.

Type "eject-cd" (no quotes). Hit enter.

It should open the CD tray and you can insert the CD you need to use.

Close it manually.

Reset OpenFirmware while you are in that screen in case there was some corruption preventing the F12 key from working properly by typing
"reset-nvram" (without quotes).
Hit enter.
Then type "reset-all" (no quotes). Hit enter.

The iBook should reboot and hopefully you should be able to use the CD normally.

HTH

"-Dodge This"

RMXO  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by motti:

does the drive make any sound when pressing F12?
does it work alright except for this problem?
everything works on her laptop except eject (f12) & nope it doesnt make any noise....

RMXO  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by milhouse:
What OS is she using?

You always have the option to boot to Open Firmware and open the CD tray this way and to reset the OpenFirmware to see if that helps.

Hold down the apple + option + O + F keys as the iBook starts up. You'll boot to a black screen with text. Let go of the keys.

Close it manually.

Reset OpenFirmware while you are in that screen in case there was some corruption preventing the F12 key from working properly by typing
Hit enter.

The iBook should reboot and hopefully you should be able to use the CD normally.

HTH

she is using OS X.2. hasnt done any system updates since she cant connect to the net until she gets to her parents house.

after trying to get my GF to follow these steps over the phone. i gave up. told her to take it to the shop she got it from. trying to provide Tech support over the phone to a girl who happens to be PMSing bigtime isnt fun & can be deafing to ones ears....

oh well, once she stops she will be kissing ass to make it up....

where can find info on this? since i have a phone interview for a part time PC/mac support. would like to know this info for my interview just in case he ask me something like this. wasnt able to find info on this on Apple support Page....
( Last edited by RMXO; Dec 20, 2002 at 03:40 PM. )

milhouse
Senior User
Dec 20, 2002, 04:16 PM

she is using OS X.2. hasnt done any system updates since she cant connect to the net until she gets to her parents house.

after trying to get my GF to follow these steps over the phone. i gave up. told her to take it to the shop she got it from. trying to provide Tech support over the phone to a girl who happens to be PMSing bigtime isnt fun & can be deafing to ones ears....

oh well, once she stops she will be kissing ass to make it up....

where can find info on this? since i have a phone interview for a part time PC/mac support. would like to know this info for my interview just in case he ask me something like this. wasnt able to find info on this on Apple support Page....
I think info like this may be in Apple's developer docs. They are on your Mac if you installed the DevTools (provided 'free' with the retail version of Jag and also available online on Apple's developer site. Info is not super easy to locate IMHO so dedicate some time.

Also read info posted on the sites/forums at ARStechnica.com, Macnncom, xlr8yourmac.com and macosxhints.com.

There are probably some very good books available from O'Reiley too.

Good luck. (...with the interview and the PMSing GF. )
"-Dodge This"

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2002, 05:25 PM

Does the CD Drive show up in Apple System Profiler?

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 20, 2002, 05:42 PM

Does it the CD drive open from within iTunes?

How about fn+F12?

RMXO  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 06:37 PM

thisGuy:

not sure. didnt think of that lastnite since i was getting railed by my PMSing GF on her Apple experience so far...

alien:

no it doesnt. only way to eject is with paperclip.

once my GF gets home from XMas shopping im gonna ask her to try a few things. gonna ask her to update to 10.2.3 also. forgot to ask her to eject while a CD is inside by pressing F12. i know she can right click on the CD icon on the desktop & select eject....

why cant the CD tray when there is nothing in there & can eject when there is a CD in....

i feel bad for my GF. ever since she decide to switch, only good thing so far is that she loves how the iBook looks & how nice the sales ppl was at the store she got it from....

RMXO  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2002, 12:47 AM

status update:

thanks milhouse. resetting the OpenFirmware did it. she had to do it a few times. she forgot to hold onto the keys until the white screen popped up..

my GF is happy now.
( Last edited by RMXO; Dec 21, 2002 at 06:03 PM. )

sillyrabbitt
Dec 21, 2002, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by milhouse:
What OS is she using?

Close it manually.

Hit enter.

HTH

my cd player started acting up and wouldnt open either and now it will not even work at all.

do you think the above is worth a shot in my case or the cdrw is toast?

THANKS!
ibook,800,30gig,12.1",640mb,10.2.4, Airport

RMXO  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2002, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by sillyrabbitt:

my cd player started acting up and wouldnt open either and now it will not even work at all.

do you think the above is worth a shot in my case or the cdrw is toast?

THANKS!
is it worth a shot? why dont you try it out. you have nothing to lose. it worked for me, so you might get lucky & work for you. best of luck.....

dagmar
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2002, 11:32 PM

From the great folks over at Macfixit. com:

Failure to recognize internal CD-RW drive.
As we initially reported yesterday, Mac OS X 10.2.3 completely disabled the internal CD-RW/DVD combo drive on our in-house Power Macintosh G4/733. Not only is the drive not recognized in iTunes and Toast - delivering the message "CD burner or software not found" - but the drive refuses to respond to the keyboard eject button, rendering it useless.

Several MacFixIt readers, including John, confirmed the issue:

"I have a Power Macintosh G4/933 with a SuperDrive and a 500 MHz iBook Combo drive. The eject button will not even work. I had to boot into Mac OS 9 to get things working."

Thomas Emmerich experienced similar with Toast and iTunes, but retained the ability to open his CD-RW/DVD drive. After inserting a pre-recorded disc (not blank) into his system and then ejecting it, Toast and iTunes regained their ability to recognize blank CD-Rs. So at least in some cases, it appears inserting a pre-recorded CD can "wake up" improperly functioning drives

digitalmustard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2002, 03:13 AM

thanks for the info...but it didnt work. my cdrom is toast. bringin it back to the apple store it is like a week old.

jcv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2002, 03:07 AM

That happened to me with my 700MHz iBook. The drive worked just fine when CDs or DVDs were inserted, but I had to use a paperclip to get the drive open (and usually that took a few attempts).

I lived with it for a few months, but then my video went kaput so when I sent it back to Apple, I also let them know about the problem with the drive.

They replaced it (and my display works again, too!).

Good luck.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2002, 03:35 AM

If it refuses to open, reboot the machine holding down the mouse button.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

RMXO  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2002, 04:33 AM

Originally posted by andretan:
If it refuses to open, reboot the machine holding down the mouse button.
what does this suppose to do?

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2002, 06:20 AM

It ejects any media in the drive. I know I've used it for floppies (pre "i-" computers), but CDs?
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by ccsccs7:

It ejects any media in the drive. I know I've used it for floppies (pre "i-" computers), but CDs?
Yes, it works for CD's as well.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2002, 10:17 PM

Yeah, it ejects any media in your drive at startup.

Merry Xmas
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

RMXO  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2002, 11:59 PM

coool. didnt know that. thanks.

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2003, 11:38 PM

I have similar problem as RMXO described on i iBook 600 with a combo drive, but not of the standard fixes suggested have worked.

It is strange because I am able to eject a CD/DVD from an app, but when the drive is empty and I want to open it, pressing the F12 key for several seconds dose NOT do it.

I can open it using a paperclip and, strangely, it will open when I press BOTH the F12 key and the CONTROL (apple) key.

So I know it is not a case of a bad key on the board....

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

- Patrick
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

RMXO  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by pbjudge:
I have similar problem as RMXO described on i iBook 600 with a combo drive, but not of the standard fixes suggested have worked.

It is strange because I am able to eject a CD/DVD from an app, but when the drive is empty and I want to open it, pressing the F12 key for several seconds dose NOT do it.

I can open it using a paperclip and, strangely, it will open when I press BOTH the F12 key and the CONTROL (apple) key.

So I know it is not a case of a bad key on the board....

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

- Patrick
Pat,

after awhile i got the same problem again & my GF didnt want to always have to reboot to pop out the CD. so i did a fresh install & for the default language i chose US-English. the Eject button now ejects the CD everytime.

not sure if this is related but i found out when using English-Canada KB language, the Eject key didnt work unless it was on US-English. so you might want to try that out. change the language to US-English if it isnt already there.

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Mar 14, 2003, 09:25 PM

Thanks for your advice RMXO. But I wanna save reinstalling for the last option. I am now on 10.2.4. and I would have to go back to 10.2 (the discs I have) and work forward. But I checked and I am running in US-English now.

For the time being, I am using the key combination of CONTROL & F12 to open the drive. It works, but it is just not as elegant ast simply using F12.

Thanks anyway. I will post a new message if I find the solution.

- Patrick
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

Forum Links
Forum Rules