Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 512MB Ram no longer recognized after 12" powerbook repair

512MB Ram no longer recognized after 12" powerbook repair
Iron Lung Ryan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2004, 05:53 PM

Hi everyone - I sent my powerbook off via the Applestore to have the DC board replaced after i had dropped and warped the power connector. While at the Applestore I used a battery and my powerbook was functioning normally, since getting it back however it has been running slowly, and lagging when opening programs or running simultaneous programs.

I checked the "About this Mac" and it told me I only had 128MB of Ram instead of 640. This meant it was no longer recognizing my 512 Chip from crucial.com - I opened the RAM door and reseated it, but I still just have 128 going. What is the next step? I want to see if I can get it work before having to send it back to repair. Also the open / shut latch is no longer working and I cannot close my laptop. So I'll be sending it back for repair on that issue if I can't fix that either.

Any suggestions?
Apple Cult member since 7/26/03

Iron Lung Ryan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2004, 08:41 PM

Oh boy. I just tried putting the original 128 from apple back into the ram slot, and still only 128MB of ram shows up instead of 256.

Now I'm really scatching my head. Is it time to send it back to Applecare?

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2004, 08:48 PM

just to be sure, you could stick 128 module that was reading before, into the other slot and the 512 module in the slot that the 128 was reading from. then you would have tried both modules in both slots. then you'll know if it's the ram or the slot. but it sounds like you'll need to send it in.
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

Iron Lung Ryan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2004, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by benwhanlee:
just to be sure, you could stick 128 module that was reading before, into the other slot and the 512 module in the slot that the 128 was reading from. then you would have tried both modules in both slots. then you'll know if it's the ram or the slot. but it sounds like you'll need to send it in.
Thanks for the tip - I forgot to mention this is a Rev A - there is only one expansion slot, as there is a 128MB chip built in, which was a silly idea I'm glad they got rid of.

I'm just bummed that I'll have to go another week or two without my laptop.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2004, 11:40 AM

Bad personal experience: I sent my 17" PB to AppleCare due to it doesn�t read the RAM modules rightly, if I placed a 1 GB module, it read no module, if I placed a 512 GB module, ir read only 256... so I sent it to Apple Care (Spain), they asked me to send it with only the original (from factory 512 MB module), OK, great deal, they just changed the RAM module and now the PowerBook read the RAM in the same wrong way that before. So if you think the modules are OK, tell them about doing something more that just replacing RAM modules.

Good luck.

I am still waiting for a solution to my issue

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Iron Lung Ryan:
Thanks for the tip - I forgot to mention this is a Rev A - there is only one expansion slot, as there is a 128MB chip built in, which was a silly idea I'm glad they got rid of.

I'm just bummed that I'll have to go another week or two without my laptop.
when you say you have a Rev A, do you mean the first model of aluminum powerbooks (either 1.25 or 1.0 ghz processor)? if so, there is no ram built in, both can be removed. those are the only models i've heard referred to as Rev A, so sorry if i'm confused...

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by benwhanlee:
when you say you have a Rev A, do you mean the first model of aluminum powerbooks (either 1.25 or 1.0 ghz processor)? if so, there is no ram built in, both can be removed. those are the only models i've heard referred to as Rev A, so sorry if i'm confused...
Rev A 12 PB has 128mb built in. you are confusing the 12 with the 15". all 12" PB has 1 RAM slot while 15 & 17" has two w/ no builtin ram.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2004, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by RMXO:
Rev A 12 PB has 128mb built in. you are confusing the 12 with the 15". all 12" PB has 1 RAM slot while 15 & 17" has two w/ no builtin ram.
a friend of mine at work corrected me on this. my bad, sorry.

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2004, 10:23 PM

have u tried resetting the PRAM?

(hold CMD + OPT + P + R while resetting until u hear the "bong")
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

Iron Lung Ryan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2004, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by bookofjames:
have u tried resetting the PRAM?

(hold CMD + OPT + P + R while resetting until u hear the "bong")
Thats a good idea - I'll try that when I get home this afternoon. Still depressing though

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 11:54 AM

PRAM didnt work for me, but the RAM modules work on another computer, so I am going to have a big time at phone with Apple Care guys

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 07:06 PM

if you ever have to resend in your machine in for repair & it has nothing to do with memory. I would take it out before you send it in just to be in the safe side. good luck in getting your PB fixed.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Iron Lung Ryan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
PRAM didnt work for me, but the RAM modules work on another computer, so I am going to have a big time at phone with Apple Care guys
I think I'm in the same boat. I really don't mind that much I guess. I live about 90 minutes from the nearest Apple Store in Cincinnati and I'm going up there tomorrow to play basketball, so I'll just drop it off before. They'll have to fix my RAM issue, and my latch issue - and if they can do it in store then that will be great. If not then they'll send it off and They will mail it back to my house which is just fine as well. Is it inconvenient yes. But whatever has to be done so I can get back to both downloading DVDs from Usenet and copying them from Netflix.

Circle of life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules