Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CNN.com front page: teaching of 'Intelligent Design' struck down in court

CNN.com front page: teaching of 'Intelligent Design' struck down in court
Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 04:08 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/12/20/in...ign/index.html

Personally, I think it's great. I was getting worried when people were even considering teaching pseudo-scientific garbage like Intelligent Design in a science class, but this news story has brightened my day and has restored a bit of my faith in humanity.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 04:14 PM

w00t!

Great indeed! but going asfar as bettering my opinion of humanity, no. That stays on it's 'not-very-much' level, despite the occasional bright spot.
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 04:15 PM

this thread should go into the crapper pretty quick.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Dakar
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2005, 04:28 PM

Damn activist judges

Also, with a name Judge John Jones, you should have your own TV show.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 04:37 PM

PA is OK!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 04:43 PM

I have my faith with is solid. In fact science and the Bible agree in my belief system.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 05:16 PM

Blah blah blah de fah-dee fah-de-bluh-dee-bluh de bluh.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the last word on the issue.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 20, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
this thread should go into the crapper pretty quick.
This thread shouldn't have even been in this part of the forum in the first place.

Guys, there is a political/religion discussion section of this forum for a reason.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Dec 20, 2005, 05:27 PM

I was going to say that the forum police would nab you for this one, but I got to the end of the thread and... oh, well.

Nice to know that grown-ups are still in charge somewhere in this country.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 05:32 PM

Kevin?

A grown-up?

Get outta hea!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by sek929
Kevin?

A grown-up?

Get outta hea!
I think he was referring to the court.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
d'oh

its been a long day...

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Dec 20, 2005, 05:39 PM

Indeed I was.

No offense intended to Kevin, of course!

Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 05:47 PM

Arguing rationally with a banana is like arguing rationally with a creationist. Whatever that means.

Oh, and this is good news.

Fyre4ce  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 05:48 PM

If religious topics belong in the "Politics/War Lounge" then the lounge is mis-named.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by 11011001
Arguing rationally with a banana is like arguing rationally with a creationist. Whatever that means.
Best to just serve them split down the middle and arranged on either side of 3 heaping piles of ice cream?

Oh, and this is good news.
Ayup.

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fyre4ce
If religious topics belong in the "Politics/War Lounge" then the lounge is mis-named.
"Political/War Lounge
Politics, war, religion, party bickering, etc."
Chuck
___

SVass
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 05:55 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 06:05 PM

Great. My 1st post was censored. WTF ?

Here it is again:

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 20, 2005, 06:09 PM

How so? The Lounge has no religious meaning. Not that I was talking about religion anyhow,
this is POLITICAL before it is religious. You know, any court decisions our gov makes usually falls under "political"
"Political/War Lounge
BING!

So this thread is about Politics and Religion. Both which fall under.. The Political/War Lounge.

Fyre4ce  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 06:11 PM

"Political/War Lounge
Hmm, I see... although the topic at hand is not entirely religious; it really has more to do with education. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see what the fate of this thread is.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 06:16 PM

the topic at hand is not entirely religious; it really has more to do with education. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see what the fate of this thread is.
Really ?

Why was intelligent design thrown out again ?
BECAUSE MANY FREAKIN LEFTISTS THINK IT REALLY HAS MORE TO DO WITH RELIGION !

-t

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 06:19 PM

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 20, 2005, 06:43 PM

Hmm, I see... although the topic at hand is not entirely religious; it really has more to do with education. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see what the fate of this thread is.
IT'S POLITICAL, and then religious SECONDLY.
If you cannot see this being political I don't know what to tell you.
AGAIN, IT'S POLITICAL, and then religious SECONDLY.
It's actually irrelevant that it is also religious. But being so, it deserves EVEN MORE SO to be moved.
Originally Posted by turtle777
Really ?
While that is true, the whole thing being of political nature should have set off alarms in his head.

I really don't know why people post political threads in here.

They never go anywhere. For good reason.
( Last edited by Kevin; Dec 20, 2005 at 06:50 PM. )

zerostar
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 07:20 PM

Really ?

-t

They see that it does, as does the Republican Jude and the leftists who appointed him....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Jones_III

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 07:26 PM

Damnit people, just let the issue of what forum it belongs in go, and stop being so incredibly anal!

By the time you've posted your thesis about why the post was posted to the wrong forum, you could have just closed your browser tab and moved on to something else.

There is way too much bickering in here in general, IMHO, the last thing we need is bickering about something so incredibly insignificant. IT DOESN'T MATTER. Let it go! The sense of order in the world will not become unraveled with a post in the wrong thread.

Sheeesh!

You guys remind me of those Vogons from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, getting all upset that the proper forms weren't filled out.
( Last edited by besson3c; Dec 20, 2005 at 07:35 PM. )

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 07:31 PM

Oh Oh, I know. Lets argue about why it should be moved! Brilliant! And some anti-leftist trash-talk? Even better.

Not being a parent I really don't care. One things for sure: there's no sign of intelligent design in this thread.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Fyre4ce  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin

It's actually irrelevant that it is also religious. But being so, it deserves EVEN MORE SO to be moved.

While that is true, the whole thing being of political nature should have set off alarms in his head.

I really don't know why people post political threads in here.

They never go anywhere. For good reason.
It's definitely true that there have been many threads here that have been politically- and/or religiously-tinged. But fine, let it be moved then, if it makes everyone happy. I really don't care where it is, I was just looking for some meaningful discussion, which clearly so far has not happened.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 07:58 PM

It's definitely true that there have been many threads here that have been politically- and/or religiously-tinged. But fine, let it be moved then, if it makes everyone happy. I really don't care where it is, I was just looking for some meaningful discussion, which clearly so far has not happened.

Don't mind these people, let the mods worry about where the thread belongs, let the faces of the armchair mods turn red.

I hope this outcome sets a precedent. I have nothing against religion at all, but a particular religion should not be taught at a public, secular school, and religion and science do not, and should not mix. They just need to be treated differently. This leaves religion out of the schools, which is probably best. Let the parents teach religion.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 08:04 PM

I was just looking for some meaningful discussion
A meaningful discussion in the Lounge about a topic that is highly political ?

Mwahahahahaha

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 08:09 PM

Mwahahahahaha

-t

It's hard to have a meaningful conversation about anything, including hot dogs, with this sort of bickering. Why not let the thread defeat itself, rather than us defeat it?

Any ID supporters here upset with this outcome? I'm wondering how large this population is...

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 08:18 PM

Well, I suppose I must finally admit that PA has some redeeming qualities... but this still doesn't offset the fact that PA people ruin NJ beaches!

One of these days, I would love to sit down with someone who genuinely (but not fanatically) believes in intelligent design, just to talk out our differences. Like that will ever happen... people in general (left AND right) need to just be less pig-headed.

Stupid pig heads.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Fyre4ce  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2005, 09:02 PM

Mwahahahahaha

-t
I still fail to see the inherent connection between intelligent design and politics. Some people might manufacture a relationship ("Those crazy bible-thumping right-wingers...") but the issue is not inherently political.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2005, 09:10 PM

I still fail to see the inherent connection between intelligent design and politics. Some people might manufacture a relationship ("Those crazy bible-thumping right-wingers...") but the issue is not inherently political.
The intelligent design hypothesis is not itself inherently political (though it is religious). The debate over whether it should be taught in schools and discussion of relevant court cases and laws, however, is political.
Chuck
___

black bear theory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2005, 09:19 PM

The intelligent design hypothesis is not itself inherently political (though it is religious). The debate over whether it should be taught in schools and discussion of relevant court cases and laws, however, is political.
the debate over whether ID should be taught in school, is scientific. as the decision handed down today shows, ID fails the scientific theory, and as such should not be taught in science classes. the attempt to pass the unscientific as scientific is political/religious.
Earth First! we'll mine the other planets later.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 09:36 PM

can you prove it? or test it? have an independent comfirmation?

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 20, 2005, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Don't mind these people, let the mods worry about where the thread belongs, let the faces of the armchair mods turn red.
Mods don't watch the forum. Mods are hardly here. It sometimes takes mods a few days to even move something.

People shouldn't be posting things in the wrong place in the first place, and mods or users wont have to complain.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 20, 2005, 10:40 PM

Some people might manufacture a relationship ("Those crazy bible-thumping right-wingers...") but the issue is not inherently political.
No one told you ID and politics were related. We said ID was religious, and the rest was mainly political.

Exactly.

There is a reason why these threads aren't in this part of the forum. Most of us here do not want to see them.

That is why the PL was formed.

EnemyTerritoryish
Banned
Dec 20, 2005, 11:06 PM

That's an interesting belief, but it's also YOUR belief. And your beliefs are usually flawed. This is a scientific decision, based on science. The fact that it used science and logic to dismiss a ridiculous attempt at christianizing kids at a young age with the guise of science is wrong, and I'm glad it was denied.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 20, 2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by EnemyTerritoryish
That's an interesting belief, but it's also YOUR belief. And your beliefs are usually flawed. This is a scientific decision, based on science. The fact that it used science and logic to dismiss a ridiculous attempt at christianizing kids at a young age with the guise of science is wrong, and I'm glad it was denied.
What does this have to do with what I said? Are you the "Bananinaanatard"?

Please, if you are going to reply to my posts, atleast be relevant.

EnemyTerritoryish
Banned
Dec 21, 2005, 12:02 AM

What does this have to do with what I said? Are you the "Bananinaanatard"?

Please, if you are going to reply to my posts, atleast be relevant.
It was relevant. You were proclaiming it was religious first, political second, whatever the order was, like you were giving one of the commandments and like your opinion actually mattered. It doesn't. You aren't a mod.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 21, 2005, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by EnemyTerritoryish
It was relevant. You were proclaiming it was religious first, political second, whatever the order was,
No political then religious, and I was one of many that told him as well.
like you were giving one of the commandments and like your opinion actually mattered. It doesn't. You aren't a mod.
But what does this have to do with what you posted? Nothing.

I am not saying what you have to do. I am saying one should follow the rules.

Or not follow the rules, but get upset when the "party" gets busted on.

I good way to not get your thread derailed is to post it in the right place to begin with no?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 12:25 AM

oh e oh ah ah ting tang wala wala bing bang. Oh e oh ah ah ting tang wala wala bing bang. (repeat)

After 41 posts to this thread, my nonsense post is probably going to make more sense than a lot of stuff coming after it.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 21, 2005, 12:33 AM

Let the cheese begin!

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2005, 12:34 AM

You can't tell me that cheese came from a monkey!

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2005, 12:40 AM

No, cheese came from a cow. In Wisconsin. Duh.

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 21, 2005, 12:45 AM

there is already a huge thread in the political lounge regarding intelligent design. please use that one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules