Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > what finance software do you recommend?

what finance software do you recommend?
RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2003, 08:39 PM

I'm looking for a good personal finance software. can anyone recommend me one & give their feedback on the software that they use.

thanks a bunch
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 07:14 AM

Intuit's Quicken Deluxe 2002 - There is a newer version than this, but the 2002 version is the one I use. It's alright, but more than a bit bloated. I don't know anyone who uses all the alleged bells and whistles in this program. If you're up for all the online tricks, money tracking and graphing, maybe this one's for you.

Modeless Software's Liquid Ledger - I downloaded the demo version of this and it just didn't feel right. That's certainly not a fair evaluation, but that's the only way I can describe it. I didn't keep it on my Mac for more than an hour. Plus, $45 is a bit pricey for a newer entrant into the marketplace. If I have $45 to spend, I'd go with Intuit's tried (or is it tired?) and true product.

Splasm Software's Checkbook - Here's another one I used the demo of. I liked the brushed metal (so sue me) look of this, but it was the polar opposite of Intuit's bloatware. It was too simplistic. Basically, you can tell it's a version 1.0 (1.1.3 actually). For one thing, you have to use the mouse to enter debits or credits. In Quicken, you can use the keyboard to navigate your ledger. That's one dealbreaker for me. Also, the demo period allows only 25 entries, instead of a solid month of use... So I couldn't evaluate the reconciling features. I deleted this, too, and went back to Intuit.

Bottom Line
Quicken will prove overkill for some, but is thorough. The interface isn't polished, but it works... Well.

Liquid Ledger was pricey, IMHO, and I just couldn't "get into it."

Checkbook is a little too simplistic, but shows promise. For only $15, it's hard to go wrong if you want just the basics.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2003, 08:16 AM

Try Nano Accounts:

http://www.nano.com.au/

Forum Links
Forum Rules