Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > just got my PB back from repair. cant do a software update now

just got my PB back from repair. cant do a software update now
RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2005, 01:07 PM

I just recently got my PB back from repair for a failed HDD. repair replaced my DC board & HDD.

i did a fresh install of Tiger & now i can't do a software update. i get this error msg"A networking error has occured. timed out (-1001). make sure you can connect to the internet, then try again"

im able to surf the web fine. I tried use their Network Diagnostic tools & it says my internet connection is fine. i tried both using my aiport & builit in NIC. get same error both times.

anyone get this error msg w/ Tiger after a fresh install? i think im gonna try Panther to see if i get the same error msg.

another thing is it me or do Apple Tech dont take care of ur PB when they do repairs? i sent my PB in clean condition & i get it back all dirty & slightly scracthed up on the bottom.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

kwiens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2005, 01:48 PM

Try clearing your software update settings. Software update stores files in these locations:
/Library/Receipts/
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.000a95a0c214.plist (or something similar)
/Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate/
That may not be an exhaustive list, but it'll give you a place to start. Also, make sure a firewall isn't blocking Software Update traffic.

On the PowerBook repair note, there is always risk inherent in having someone else work on your PowerBook. Knowledgeable 'book owners can do most repairs themselves, including part replacement and upgrades (like your DC-in board replacement). We made a set of free disassembly instructions for PowerBook G3/G4 and iBook G3's here:
www.PBFixIt.com/Guide/

-Kyle Wiens
CEO, PB FixIt
www.PBFixIt.com
Thousands of PowerBook & iBook parts and accessories.

RMXO  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2005, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by kwiens
Try clearing your software update settings. Software update stores files in these locations:
/Library/Receipts/
/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.000a95a0c214.plist (or something similar)
/Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate/
That may not be an exhaustive list, but it'll give you a place to start. Also, make sure a firewall isn't blocking Software Update traffic.

On the PowerBook repair note, there is always risk inherent in having someone else work on your PowerBook. Knowledgeable 'book owners can do most repairs themselves, including part replacement and upgrades (like your DC-in board replacement). We made a set of free disassembly instructions for PowerBook G3/G4 and iBook G3's here:
www.PBFixIt.com/Guide/

-Kyle Wiens
CEO, PB FixIt
www.PBFixIt.com
Thousands of PowerBook & iBook parts and accessories.

thanks i will try that when i get home. since my PB is still under warranty I dont want to do any repairs myself. yes, i know its a risk but you would figure they would atleast try to be careful with your investment, but i guess not.

i installed Tiger before on my PB & never had this issue after the install & was able to do a Software Update once the install was done.

thanks again & i will try your suggestion once i get home.

RMXO  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2005, 08:33 PM

i tried what u suggested. even to the point of deleting certain .plist files but Software Update still reports that it cant connect to the internet but my connection is fine. so weird & frustrating.

when looking at the status bar of SU, it doesnt move. it just stands still & hangs. i verified that my firewall settings are all turned off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules