Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > EV:Nova Universal Binary

EV:Nova Universal Binary
baw
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 07:43 AM

Any idea if Ambrosia will/can update EV:Nova to be Intel compatible?

I tried searching the Ambrosia webboards, but I couldn't get the search results I wanted.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 12:15 PM

They said no. EV: Nova was programmed using Metrowerks, and they aren't going to take the time to port it to Xcode so they can produce a Universal Binary. According to them, it performs well in Rosetta
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

baw  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 05:03 PM

It is ok under Rosetta. It has glitches though and some sluggishness.

jmgriff
Feb 13, 2006, 07:21 PM

EV Nova is now a pretty old game, and it is understandable that Ambrosia is unwilling to commit resources to making it dual-binary ... looks like it would be a lot of work. I hope it does run Ok under Rosetta: there are some great TCs in the works and the game is always fun to play, even after years.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 04:40 PM

EV Nova.. meh. Never liked it. Very over rated. 3/10 and just for graphics. Gameplay, replay value, depth, number of bugs etc etc made it very frustrating to play. Luckily I had a borrowed copy from a friend, so all I lost was precious time.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

baw  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the review.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Feb 14, 2006, 06:47 PM

This is a bit of a shame, given that they've also said there will be no further EVs. I guess the series will survive on in Classic anyway, especially given that it's much easier to make plugins and such there with ResEdit.

Nova was not my favourite of the series, mainly due to it feeling more like reading a book than playing a game, but it was still pretty good. It was never about the graphics, but I would agree that gameplay and replay value were not as high as for EV and Override.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
EV Nova.. meh. Never liked it. Very over rated. 3/10 and just for graphics. Gameplay, replay value, depth, number of bugs etc etc made it very frustrating to play. Luckily I had a borrowed copy from a friend, so all I lost was precious time.

cheers

W-Y
Wow. I feel like it had tons of replay, esp. with plugins. For a sprite game, it's very pretty, and I enjoy playing it.

I pull it out when I think about some random plugin I want to play. I wish someone would give me the Star wars pluggin from the original, and that it would work with EV:Nova... That was a cool plugin (I remember the hour on the modem I would use downloading that...)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
Wow. I feel like it had tons of replay, esp. with plugins. For a sprite game, it's very pretty, and I enjoy playing it.

I pull it out when I think about some random plugin I want to play. I wish someone would give me the Star wars pluggin from the original, and that it would work with EV:Nova... That was a cool plugin (I remember the hour on the modem I would use downloading that...)
The original EV was pretty good for a shareware game. Graphics and gameplay in good balance. EVO and EVN were little more than overhyped graphic updates. The universe just got bigger with nicer sprites. The gameplay was still little old Escape Velocity.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

P
Feb 15, 2006, 12:12 PM

Never liked the EVN story. There wasn't enough to do, and you got forced into one of the main storylines no matter what. The injokes about drop bears were just annoying, and a very large part of the universe was that big boring feudal empire with identical weapons.

Personally I liked EVO best. Original EV had a few too many bugs, even though they got squashed later on. EVO brought some variety in the differeing weapons from the different aliens and it seemed like you could go on playing forever, taking different sides. EV had just the basic two.

You can play EV and EVO inside EVN as ports, which is a good thing for all Intel Mac owners since Classic won't work on them.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2006, 06:57 AM

EVN was ok, I didn't like Override, basically because if you bought an alien weapon, and run out of ammo in the other aliens system, you had to go all the way back to re arm and that annoyed me too much. EV was just easy to get into and do what you want without getting forced into a story or mission. I used to be on the EV forums a bit, and there was a never finished TC that did the EV universe in the Nova engine, but with the ships in proper scale relative to each other, so that a shuttle was the same size as EV, but a cruiser or freighter would be huge, and i mean huge, on the screen next to it!

(Note to self, go home after work and play EV again!)

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules