Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What is the iSquint niche?

What is the iSquint niche?
hab
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2008, 02:39 PM

My daughter got a new iPod and I am trying to develop a workflow to put movies onto it. Handbrake to rip and convert or MTR to rip and Handbrake to convert works well for original DVD. I tried playing with iSquint but have been unable to figure out any advantage to that application since it does not appear to be able to handle ripped DVD media directly.

I have some (previously converted for AppleTV in Handbrake) H.264 movies that I want to downconvert for the iPod. HB does not recognize the .mp4 files as valid file types. So, I tried iTunes and then QuickTime Pro which will do the the downconversion but very slowly (5 hours for a 2 hour movie). Similarly, iSquint will handle the file but takes forever (4 hours). So I went back to the original source DVD and was interested to find that iSquint will not read VideoTS folders (?). I ended up using HB to convert to iPod format directly (0.5 hours).

So what role does iSquint play in the video conversion workflow? Maybe it is useful for user created QT movies only and is not meant for DVD conversion workflow at all ...
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2008, 02:54 PM

Um.

The internet is a wild and varied place (since you appear to be new ), and there are *dozens* of video formats between DVD and h.264/.mp4.

iSquint is for everything that's not DVD and that's not handled by iTunes directly.

cbk1994
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2008, 07:23 PM

Try VirtualHub (if you've tried iSquint, you've heard about it; they've shot themselves in the foot trying to advertise their other product). I've personally only used iSquint to convert FLV files (I did not *cough* take videos from YouTube).

I've heard VirtualHub works very well though.
15" MacBook Pro (unibody), 4 GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.6.2

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Try VirtualHub (if you've tried iSquint, you've heard about it; they've shot themselves in the foot trying to advertise their other product). I've personally only used iSquint to convert FLV files (I did not *cough* take videos from YouTube).

I've heard VirtualHub works very well though.
I'm sure he knows what you mean, but just to be clear its VisualHub, not VirtualHub.

cbk1994
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I'm sure he knows what you mean, but just to be clear its VisualHub, not VirtualHub.
Sorry! I knew that one, just not thinking today.
15" MacBook Pro (unibody), 4 GB RAM, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X 10.6.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules